Bonjour from New Orleans

Drop by and tell us when you started watching the series and why you love Avonlea.
SarahKingPike
Pat's Meow

Bonjour from New Orleans

Postby SarahKingPike » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:25 am

Hello

I have been loving this since I was 6 in 1990 I remember when it started. her name was Sara and my name is Sarah so i was in love from the start. it came on, on Monday nights at 7pm on the Disney Channel here in the states. i was in awe of this family and they helped me through some rough times growing up. the story of Felicity and Gus...that is something that i love and have always aspired to. My fiance and I are close to that love! i plan on having something like Felicity's dress when i get married!

My fiance made my christmas this year when he came me season 7 on DVD! when i graduated college in 06 i was given seasons 1-5 and this past summer for our anniversary my fiance gave me season 6....I LOVE AVONLEA...planning our honeymoon to be on PEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gus Pike: ...and remember, I love you, Felicity. I always will.
Felicity King: I love you.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Re: Bonjour from New Orleans

Postby hannikan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Welcome and congrats on your engagement! I hope you're able to find someone to recreate Felicity's wedding dress. Are you also planning to have a similar veil?
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Postby StoryJan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Good choice with your dress! I always loved Felicity's dress much more than Anne's. I hope you have a lot of success trying to re-create it. I am still trying to get to PEI myself, but it's an expensive trip from the Mid-Atlatnic states. Best wishes to you and your fiance!

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Postby StoryJan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:26 pm

To me, Felicity's dress looks as if it's really two separate parts- the bodice and the skirt. If you can look past the Renaissance ties, McCalls is selling a similar bodice pattern (M4696) right now- minus the ruching on the blouse and the side lacey wraps on the side, which any dress maker can recreate. It's the one in the upper right hand corner.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m4696-p ... age_id=493

Another pattern similar to the gown and bridesmaid dresses is this one from folkwear.com. To my eyes, the center dress in the drawing is very similar to Felicity's gown- not necessarily identical, but close enough to feel like a King :)

http://www.folkwear.com/220.html

SarahKingPike
Pat's Meow

Postby SarahKingPike » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:02 pm

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments. I am not sure about the veil. I want something that is easy to remove. I have a head dress that has a family heirloom Cameo and a dark red ribbon so the veil will need to go but I might...i have a family friend who makes wedding dresses so i hope that she will be able to make it for me. There is something timeliss about Felicity's dress. the sleeves might be shorter maybe tighter but i am not sure.

Pictures will come if i decided to go that way. we are getting married New Years Eve 2011. so that is 12/31/11

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Postby hannikan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:15 am

Oh good, then you still have a year. That's great that you have a friend who can make it. I love Felicity's dress but I always thought I would be hot in the summer in long sleeves. It's much more suited to a winter wedding, I think. I liked how it looked when the sleeves were not attached yet, too! GL with your veil, too. Mine was made from combining my 2 grandma's veils. I loved having family heirlooms in my wedding. I have photos of it here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5 ... a15225606d
ImageImageImageImage

SarahKingPike
Pat's Meow

Postby SarahKingPike » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 pm

There is something about heirlooms that make it much more personal and special i think! there is just something about it. i am having the reception in the house my grandmother was raised in. it is now a bed and breakfast that holds events. i might even get married in the church my grandparents did...that will depend on money and such. so far i know it is a year out still but the planing is working in my favor so i hope that the dress will complete it...

pmeleblue
Bright Station Arrival

Postby pmeleblue » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:26 pm

I am just so happy to find out that there are so many people like me who just loved the road to avonlea. i long for those days when life seemed so simple. my son and i used to watch rta when he was just five (he's almost 26 now) and we couldn't get enough! it was a sweet, sweet show. i now own the full set of DVDs (it isn't on at all in the US) and i watch them when i work out. nice to meet you all!

Brio128
Bright Station Arrival

Postby Brio128 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:20 pm

slange828
Bright Station Arrival

Postby slange828 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:00 pm

I,too am an avid viewer of RTA....I don't have cable TV in my bedroom so I keep the DVDs in the player all the time. I have watched the seasons over and over and over. Just love going to Avonlea. Would love to have the Wind At My Back series also. There are so many things you begin to see and notice after watching the episodes so many times. My family thinks I have an addiction problem...hahaha Perhaps I do..there are worse things to be addicted to I suppose. Would love to know where all the actors/actresses are now in their lives and careers. Hard to remember that the series was done so long ago...love the movie, too "An Avonlea Christmas"... Yes, I read that Jackie Burroughs passed away last Sept. after a long career on stage and film. Have seen Sarah Polley on late night tv...but never have been able to read or see much on anyone else. Learned that Gema's (Felicity) brother, Dominique, plays Dante on General Hospital... that was interesting.

Return to “Bright Station Arrivals”