4.10 Felicity's Perfect Beau

Comment and grade episodes from the series.
katie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by katie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:12 pm

Well, maybe not a simple "bye", but a goodbye to her ideal...her childhood dream (like in HKWD) of what a "perfect beau" is. I never saw it as a lustful look though. Hmm...might have to watch it again (after Hearts and Flowers of course ;) gotta love Suzette!)
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

katie

Post by katie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:14 pm

Timothy wrote:Arthur may need your help in the psychology department, Katie. He looked completely fixated/obsessed at the end of the episode on Felicity and was about to snap. And his firm belief in imaginary sea creatures didn't help his case either.

At least the Loch Ness monster is described as something that can survive in the water. But an underwater unicorn? Come on Arthur.
He did look a little...mad. Well, would you be if you fought with another guy over someone and lost? Arthur got over it though and moved on to Sara. ;)

lol about the last part.
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

heartsandflowers
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by heartsandflowers » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:08 am

As the episode is still fresh in my mind at the moment,this is my take on things.

Overal,I coudn't believe the way Felicity treated Gus in this epi,when she so seemingly clear,lied to half of Avonlea before to get to be alone with Gus and was jealous of Suzette.I thought Gus was a bit too much of a gentleman in that epi towards Suzette,though!

I could understand all three characters,to an extent,but I understood Gus the most.Arthur,I think seemed like a kinda nice fellow to start with,but then he started causing trouble.I know one can't help who you like,but honestly,what Arthur did in an earlier epi was unexceptable to me.Demanding that Gus not take Felicity to the valentines dance.If I had been Gus,I would have decked him right there and all the nonsense that came out of Arthur in FPB might never have happened.I'm sure by heart,that Arthur's not really a BAD guy,I mean he did save Digger,but I think the big city and the fact that he is richer than Gus,might have gotten to him.If he really thought Felicity could have been his,he was sadly mistaken.As for the way he appears on the horse at the end.I think he needed to really see that he had lost to someone(and couldn't believe it) with no real education or wealth and I think that might be something(not all obviously)he is angry about.

As for Felicity,I can understand that she at first,thought it was fun to have two boys fighting over her affections.But until it started to affect her,I think she simply didn't realise how troublesome this could be.I did think it was a little discouraging of Janet when she told Felicity that there were 5 boys fighting over her,it didn't really tell Felicity what to do about her situation.Clearly,she was confused about how she felt about Gus and what he meant to her.At the same time the way Arthur made her feel by saying the things he did.In the end I think she needed someone like Arthur,to make her realise,maybe at that point in the show,what she wants out of life, for some part of her life(meaning Gus).Her cleaning Arthurs house bothered me as much as it did Gus and with good reason I think.
"Felicity,did I hear you cheering for the other team..."Alec King

heartsandflowers
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by heartsandflowers » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:50 am

Sorry had to take a short break.

Something she said(don't remember the exact words),when Arthur finds her crying after she had the fight with Gus,tells me that the choice in the end wasn't so difficult for her,because I don't think she could have cried over Arthur.I also thought she was very mean and spiteful towards Gus,but for what,because Gus is jealous or because she's still angry at him for that Suzette affair.Obviously her words have a great impact on him,when he gets angry in the lighthouse.I don't think she said enough to Arthur when she turned him down,but at the same time,I believe she didn't want to hurt Arthur and tell him bluntly they didn't share the same views and he wasn't her kindred spirit.i didn't really understand Felicity's respons to Gus' 'You don't love me!'.I thought,how can she not say 'I do love you'???The poor guy was near tears!!!I mean the guy poured his hear out in the barn,when he said 'I love you'.As for the end when she looks over at Arthur,I think she's saying,goobye,but also 'I'm sorry I can't choose you'!

Gus did slip a bit by letting his emotions get to him and start that fight in the barn,but he's only human and not perfect,I think I would have done the same thing and Felicity having fun with it,didn't exactly help him.I think it was a hard epi for Gus,he is at that point in the show so scared to lose Felicity.As he says a lot can happen in two years.My heart just goes out to him in this epi and I think he's a little relieved when Felicity comes with him at the end.A bit hard to understand why Felicity does what she does in this epi and Arthur going all weird,but still one of my absolute favourites. :wink:
"Felicity,did I hear you cheering for the other team..."Alec King

Miss Lewis
White Sands Employee

Post by Miss Lewis » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:59 pm

When I was younger this episode was one of my favorites. But now It’s not. Many things about it are incoherent and troubling. The Unicorns thing is just plain weird (Valancy summed it up perfectly when she said “What the---” I thought the same thing). Somehow Arthur didn’t seem the type to believe in unicorns. And I never could quite understand why Felicity got confused over who to choose to be with after Arthur spoke about kindred sprits. (If anyone can give me insight into this please do). The “You pick the apples” was good line and I liked it when Sarah said it but I never really liked it when Felicity said it. If I was Gus I be a bit confused about why we are talking about apples and not about other things. (Though I understand what the Felicity was saying.)

In defense of the episode though, there are moments that I love about this episode. The fighting between the boys in the barn and Gus saying “I won’t fight on principle but I will fight for someone I love.” is a classic scene. Michel does outstanding performance at the end of the show when he says “two years, anything can happen between now and then but it won’t change how I feel about you.”

(Insistently: I discovered that the Disney airing of this episode has a bit extra footage in this scene that is not on the Canada DVD’s. After Gus Pike says “but it won’t change how I feel about you”…in the Disney channel version they hug longer and Felicity says “I’m counting on that Gus”. )

It’s sad that they change the Arthur character in this episode. Just this year I saw for the first time “the Incident at Vernon River”. Wow!!! If they had kept Arthur Character like that I would have been rooting for him in “Felicity’s perfect bow”. In that episode they capture perfectly what it is like to meet someone new. There was good chemistry between the two actors in “Incident at Vernon River.” I don’t think it was inconsistent of Felicity to jump from Gus to Arthur then back to Gus. Arthur was good looking. (Don’t miss understand me I’m very much a fan of Gus and Felicity being together---but a little rivalry is always interesting.)

Ok This is something that really bothers me. What ever happen to “but I can’t forget about Arthur” storyline. After this episode, we never see Felicity and Arthur in the same scene together (Please correct me if I’m wrong on this statement). In “Coming and Goings“ they are both in town, even at the same train station, and yet never see each other (yea, I know Felicity is dating Stuart at that time but still). I always thought it would be more fun if they had Arthur as the love interest in Felicity life instead of Stuart. Of course, that would have been intense episode when Arthur and Gus meet again. Maybe too intense for an Avonlea show.
Last edited by Miss Lewis on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

katie

Post by katie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:45 am

By that point I feel that Arthur wouldn't have gone back to Felicity after Gus "died". Would you go back to someone who chose someone else over you and the reason they are with you now is because the other guy died?

I wanted them to get back together too, but it would make Arthur look really dumb and Felicity look really bad. (I could've elaborated more, but that required a few choice words that aren't suitable at the boards)
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:16 am

Miss Lewis wrote:When I was younger this episode was one of my favorites. But now It’s not. Many things about it are incoherent and troubling. The Unicorns thing is just plain weird (Valancy summed it up perfectly when she said “What the---” I thought the same thing). Somehow Arthur didn’t seem the type to believe in unicorns.
It was ridiculous because Arthur was studying to be a vet and would have known that underwater unicorns are physiologically impossible. It's disturbing that Arthur had drawn these creatures and believed that things in his imagination or from hearsay were real. At least at Lochness, someone witnessed something like a water eel sticking its head out of the water and can suggest its a sea creature. Arthur has no evidence whatsoever except for drawings. Gus would be more likely to have an interest in mythological sea creatures, being that he travelled the oceans and likely overheard a lot of fisherman tales.
Miss Lewis wrote:
(Insistently: I discovered that the Disney airing of this episode has a bit extra footage in this scene that is not on the Canada DVD’s. After Gus Pike says “but it won’t change how I feel about you”…in the Disney channel version they hug longer and Felicity says “I’m counting on that Gus”. )
Thanks Miss Lewis. That's good to know.
Miss Lewis wrote: Ok This is something that really bothers me. What ever happen to “but I can’t forget about Arthur” storyline. After this episode, we never see Felicity and Arthur in the same scene together (Please correct me if I’m wrong on this statement). In “Coming and Goings“ they are both in town, even at the same train station, and yet never see each other (yea, I know Felicity is dating Stuart at that time but still). I always thought it would be more fun if they had Arthur as the love interest in Felicity life instead of Stuart. Of course, that would have been intense episode when Arthur and Gus meet again. Maybe too intense for an Avonlea show.
I could easily have seen Arthur return as the rival in the final season. He was a lot more intense than Stuart. I view Stuart as a very weak rival.
Last edited by Timothy on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:30 am

katie wrote:By that point I feel that Arthur wouldn't have gone back to Felicity after Gus "died". Would you go back to someone who chose someone else over you and the reason they are with you now is because the other guy died?
Well, Arthur did say that he and Felicity were kindred souls, or something like that. Why wouldn't star crossed lovers get back together? I can see Arthur going to console Felicity about the Gus tragedy and giving her a shoulder to cry on. And then, one thing leads to another and you have the kiss scene from 'Felicity's Perfect Beau' part II, except without the Clive interuption part.

Besides Katie, Arthur is a desperate guy. I think he was even trying to hit on Hetty in Happy Christmas Miss King. :shock:

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Miss Lewis wrote:After this episode, we never see Felicity and Arthur in the same scene together (Please correct me if I’m wrong on this statement). In “Coming and Goings“ they are both in town, even at the same train station, and yet never see each other (yea, I know Felicity is dating Stuart at that time but still).
Slight correction: "Comings and Goings" was in the sixth season. Stuart doesn't enter the picture until season seven. In C&G Felicity is home from school; Gus is either on his way to Jamaica with his mother or is already there.

You are right in that Felicity and Arthur never interact with each other again after FPB.
Timothy wrote:I could easily have seen Arthur return as the rival in the final season. He was a lot more intense than Stuart. I view Stuart as a very weak rival.
I also would've preferred to see Arthur return as a love interest for Felicity. I think it would've been more believable and, yes, more intense--especially after Felicity finds out Gus is alive.

*ponders an alternate seventh season of sorts*
Tim also wrote:Besides Katie, Arthur is a desperate guy. I think he was even trying to hit on Hetty in Happy Christmas Miss King.
LOL! But I must say; if he was hitting on her, she wasn't doing anything to stop him. ;)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:18 am

Shelly wrote:
Tim also wrote:Besides Katie, Arthur is a desperate guy. I think he was even trying to hit on Hetty in Happy Christmas Miss King.
LOL! But I must say; if he was hitting on her, she wasn't doing anything to stop him. ;)
That just seems wrong. :roll: Then of course, Hetty reinjures her back while dancing with Arthur.

katie

Post by katie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:26 pm

Well, Gus and Hetty had a "special" relationship too. And Jasper did say that Hetty and Felicity were a lot alike, so Arthur and Hetty? Since he can't have Felicity, why not Hetty? She's only 30+ years older than him.
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Miss Lewis
White Sands Employee

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Ok, Hetty and Arthur?--that’s a new one I haven’t heard. That strikes me as wrong--in many ways. I don’t believe that there was ever anything going on between them.

Your right Shelly---Stuart doesn’t come into the picture tell the seventh season…my bad. Now I’m really mystified about why Felicity and Arthur didn’t even say hello to each other in “Comings and Goings“. For someone who was so determined to have one dance with Felicity you would think Arthur would at least say hello and maybe find out if Gus was still in the picture or not. (unless Arthur feelings were going elsewhere--to Sarah perhaps?)

We all know Felicity would and did choose Gus over Arthur. I just wanted to see it really happen. In "Felicity's Perfect Beau", the episode is opened ended. Will she ultimately choose Arthur or Gus? It could go either way according to this episode. I wanted to know that Felicity really did want Gus over any other man. I wanted to see her decide. I knew Gus was faithful to Felicity and love her with all his heart. But where in the series does Felicity prove that she is committed to Gus? In "so Dear to My Heart" she shows her commitmented to him by choosing him even though he is blind. And yet I always wanted writers to finish the Arthur and Felicity storyline so that I'd know that Felicity wanted Gus over any other man. The Stuart storyline just didn’t do it for me. Why? I’m not sure why. (I’m still sorting through that train of thought.) It just didn’t do it for me.

Miss Lewis
White Sands Employee

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:23 pm

Katie wrote:
By that point I feel that Arthur wouldn't have gone back to Felicity after Gus "died". Would you go back to someone who chose someone else over you and the reason they are with you now is because the other guy died?
Arthur did say something about destiny and perfect matches. If he thought Felicity was his match then of course he would go back to her. As to Felicity previously loving Gus, Arthur believes that a person can love again. Afterall, Arthur had no trouble accepting Muriel Stacy as his step mom. This shows that Arthur believes that a person can love again even after they lose their first love. Arthur is smart too. Arthur would try to see if things would work out. If Felicity couldn’t love anyone else but Gus, Arthur would have backed out gracefully.
Last edited by Miss Lewis on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katie

Post by katie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:38 am

Eh, I still disagree, but whatever. :D

As for FPB, she did choose Gus, but she also chose to wait and see what life would bring them. She wanted to do a few things before getting tied down. She ended it with Arthur when she went to see him after he came "calling". "Gus intends to court me as any young beau should." Gah, I need to rewatch to get more things, but I thought by that point her decision was made and the only other decision to be made was whether or not to marry Gus at 16.
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Miss Lewis
White Sands Employee

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:54 pm

Perhaps, Katie, your reasoning for Arthur not going back to Felicity is the correct one. Who knows? (I certainly don’t but sometimes I like to pretend I do.)

I’m just disappointed that Arthur never comes back as a rival to Gus Pike.