The Problem with PEI...

Red roads and beaches; Discuss LMM's home and inspiration
new cricker
Bright Station Arrival

The Problem with PEI...

Postby new cricker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:59 pm

I've just moved here and of course, it is beautiful and amazing and completely a dream... however, I have my disappointments. I live in a village about 5-10 minutes from Cavendish where the majority of all things Anne exist. Now that the summer season is beginning, the island that I've moved to is being taken away, sort of. I now have to pay to go the beach, even though I live here and pay the taxes associated with living here. My other gripe is that every single thing that has to do with Anne or LMM charges people a fortune!! Today I went to the bookstore and the site of the original homestead of where LMM used to live. All that remains is outlines of where the house used to stand and there are walking trails around with some signs to read. To go see that "hallowed" ground, it would cost my family (2 adults and 2 children under the age of 3) $9!!! Outrageous! To go see Green Gables, it cost one adult $8-9, I'm shocked! Avonlea Village cost an adult $20! :shock: I just really think that Cavendish has overpriced itself and we are now losing tourists due to this. What family can afford this place? I work a resort here in Cavendish and I'm saddened to see the decline of such a treasure that PEI is all for the almighty dollar.

So I ask others this question, is PEI too expensive? I'm just doing an informal survey for my tourist operator about PEI and it's draw to others.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Re: The Problem with PEI...

Postby hannikan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi and welcome! Even though I'm jealous you live on PEI, I know it would be annoying in the tourist season. If I lived there I would probably live further away from Cavendish to avoid it. I live in California, near San Francisco. I used to live in Santa Barbara (a big tourist destination) in college and worked in a museum and a bookstore. I will be the first to say having tourists around all the time is tiresome. I was in PEI this summer and saw many of the LMM sights. While I agree it can get silly to pay at each location, it's pretty much that way in all areas that have tourists. In a lot of these places, that is where they make most of their money. Most of California is just ridiculously expensive in general. Our rent, our gas prices and rates to go anywhere are higher than most everywhere else. So honestly, PEI was not expensive in my book. But my book is a high priced one, so take my input with that in mind.
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Postby Shelly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Tourism, from my understanding, is how PEI brings in the bulk of its revenue. The Anne/LMM sites in particular, as that's the main draw.

I visited there in August 2001 and 2003, toward the end of "tourist time". I don't recall admission to the various Anne/LMM sites costing a "small fortune" at the time, nor was I charged admission to the beach.

The first time I went, it was only Anne/LMM sites. The second time, only a couple of revisits to Anne sites (GG + Avonlea Village); most of what I saw in 2003 were various lighthouses.

"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Postby hannikan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I was wondering about the paying at the beach. Someone mentioned this elsewhere. She said she had to pay to go onto Cavendish Beach, which I did not go to. I went to Brackley Beach and didn't have to pay. This was in early August.
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Postby Shelly » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:23 pm

I've been to Cavendish Beach (went both trips, as I recall). Didn't have to pay that I recall. *shrugs* Maybe it's changed since I was there (2001 and 2003).

"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Return to “Prince Edward Island”