Polley embarrassed by Avonlea

Discuss the latest Avonlea actor, actress, and crew related news.
belgrade-boy
King Farm Hired Hand

Re: Polley embarrassed by Avonlea

Postby belgrade-boy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:36 pm

O my, I don't know what to say about all this. I just read that Polley is ashamed of RTA and she thinks its horrible, and honestly I was a bit sad to hear that :cry:
Ok, I get that she is old now, and that she has all rights to have her opinions and share them in public, but I think she shouldn't say this for RTA. I don't know any people who thought RTA was horrible (even those who didn't watch it on TV never said it's horrible, just they're not interested).
And Sarah Polley surely hurt RTA fans and people working on that project. I think she was awsome in RTA, especialy in first and second season where we saw how talented she is, and how young, and I think that it helped her in her acting career after it, eventhough she thinks the series themselves were bad and horrible, she doesn't have anything to feel embarrassed with since she didn't make storylines, and she had the great chance to show us her acting talent.
I really can't understand her :(

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Postby hannikan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:13 pm

All right I have not weighed in on this yet because I have had mixed feelings about it and Sarah Polley for awhile. Mostly I feel badly for her since I think she was robbed of her childhood, not by RTA so much as all her previous work. She was working in the film/TV industry since she was 4. She has a long resume of work before RTA which she started when she was 11. That is just really not a healthy thing for a child. I'm guessing that she didn't have much of a family life either, which is even sadder. Her parents were both in the industry and then her mother died. In a way, her role as Sara Stanley just came at a terrible time since she was playing a character who lost her mother at the same time she was grieving this happening to her in real life. While it provided some very moving moments on screen, that had to take a toll on her. This was a show that focused on family and community I almost wonder if she could even relate to that all. I mean she was close to her mother, I think, but how much did she get to see her parents. Did she have a happy relationship with her father? I don't know but I am just speculating . To her RTA seemed cheesy and unrealistic but none of us and most of the cast did not feel that it was. Everyone has different tastes in TV and movies. Hers may have always been more raw, edgy, contemporary. But some of us here like those types of pieces in addition to RTA. Maybe she just couldn't feel a connection to if she had a limited experience with a loving family spending time together. Since she is really the only one of the children to complain about the show I do not think they worked under unhealthy conditions on set, I think she was just unhappy. She was unhappy in general, and she probably would have been mad about whatever she had been obligated to do at that time. I think she felt isolated and alone and that is why she wanted a normal life, including school.

She was a unconventional person even as a child so she probably would have rebelled against most types of conventional structure in society. She was politically active from a young age, protesting things she felt were unjust. I admire her for that. Honestly, she might have hated traditional school, too. She was bright and creative and wanted to change the world of the 1990's. The setting of RTA is the early 1900's, a time when there were a lot of restrictions on people (esp women). I think the show does a wonderful job of exploring what ppl did despite these restrictions and helps us connect with a time we never lived in but I could see where the premise of the show would be the opposite of what she was interested in by the time she was 14/15/16. It's clear that Gema and Zachary Bennett enjoyed playing Felicity and Felix so it's good the show could change gears to focus on them. Sarah had wanted out of her contract by the end of the 2nd season and she was obligated under contract to stay for 3 more years. That's a long time when you're a teenager and want to pursue other things. And reflecting back now, she's only really going to remember how she felt then. So she asked to be written down or that her character be given less focus so she would be freer to do other stuff. One thing it did though was make Sara kind of boring and lack direction. I wouldn't have wanted to play Sara btwn S3-4 at all. I think it may have made her feel even more trapped that she wasn't being challenged in the role. And sometimes they seemed to kind of tack on things that they thought might bring her interest in but that didn't make sense for her character. Basically it was unfortunate and it's unfortunate that she still has animosity about her time on the show. Hopefully she will heal from whatever happened in the past and maybe if she builds her own family (she is married but doesn't have children yet AFAIK) she will start to see what the rest of us do in this show that we love.
ImageImageImageImage

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Postby weatherman15 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:31 pm

I agree that she was probably unhappy in the role by season 3 and beyond, but from what I've read, I'm not sure she dislikes RTA as a whole. I think she dislikes her performance and character, mostly. Adolescence is an awkward phase for a lot of teens and I'm sure it was even tougher for her being in the public eye in a well known television role and the death of her mother. It's really too bad that she wasn't really in the position to flourish in the role of Sara Stanley...

I digress a little here, so I apologize in advance for moving slightly off topic...

I think the writers on RTA did a great job of naturally shifting the story line from Sara to the King family. Although, it's a bit disappointing to get to season 5 (Sarah Polley's last as a regular) and not see Sara Stanley much. Even though she's billed at the top of each episode, she barely appears in half of the episodes that season. At the very start of the season it's more understandable that she's visiting Nanny Louisa in Montreal for summer vacation. But later in the season in the midst of winter (and the school year) she's visiting Nanny Louisa yet again... out of town quite a bit for someone who should be in school... Aunt Hetty wouldn't be one to let her just skip out of town at the expense of missing school...

hannikan

Postby hannikan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:55 pm

ImageImageImageImage

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Postby weatherman15 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:42 am

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Postby Timothy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:42 am

belgrade-boy
King Farm Hired Hand

Postby belgrade-boy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:06 pm

Yes, that sounds quite bad. I think a TV person shouldn't say something like that, especialy if he/she speaks about show he/she worked in, so many people got to know them through the show, and so many of them actually like it. But anyway, she has her opinion. I'm sad to hear that she thinks it was bad.
Sugary sweet kid's show ? Well we may say the same for Disney cassics like "Cinderella" and "Little Mermaid" aren't we ? There must be some ''sugary sweet'' things to watch on TV, or miss Polley thinks kids should watch "Sex and the City" ?

Why I like RTA is that it has no bad and vulgar sceenes and happenings, no violence, ... and there are not many series like that now. Even old people could learn something from this show, and it was not just for kids IMO.

About Sara Stanley - I think it was not wise that series starts with her being the main character and Avonlea saw from Sara's 'eyes' at bigining. Because when I watched it first time, I loved Sara, and then she started to dissapear more and more, turning to a boring character doing nothing in later seasons, and finally dissapears at all. And loosing a main character is always hard in series - no matter they really made a cool stories about others (Hetty, Felicity-Gus story etc).

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Postby Shelly » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:41 pm

"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Postby StoryJan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Has Sarah made any recent public comments about RTA? Recent meaning in the last year or two? It seems most of her negative RTA comments are now dated, and I've often wondered if her feelings about the show would change as she grew older. Semi-recently, she has presented Jackie Burroughs with several awards, and from what I've seen, they appear to have a respectable friendship. I also thought it was interesting KS mentioned Sarah Polley's name when asked about a RTA reunion. I don't see her participating, but the mere fact that KS would include her name with the others speaks volumes.
Last edited by StoryJan on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannikan

Postby hannikan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:45 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Shelly

Postby Shelly » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Postby Timothy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Shelly

Postby Shelly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:05 pm

Aaah! I was thinking of the original "Polley calls Avonlea 'horrible' thread"; and that one did start with the quote from a SuicideGirls interview. Methinks I merged the two in my head.

My bad.

Still, though, it's been quite a while.

GreenTree
Pat's Meow

Postby GreenTree » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:46 pm

I think the quote may have been misinterpreted. I think she was just making a joke that it was embarrissing that she had to go through puberty in period clothing. I don't think she was necesarily saying the whole series was an embarrassment.

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Postby Felixthecat50 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Now now...we all think we WANT to do something when we are waiting incessantly just to do it. Sarah Polley wanted to be an actress and wanted to do Road to Avonlea possibly very badly. Wen she finally did it, she realized she didn't enjoy it. Then all she wanted to do was go to school, when she finally got that, she found out she didn't want it nearly as bad as something else.

We're all like that, we're no one to judge her. I'm a good example...all I wanted to do growing up was music. So I started college as a music major, the first semester I quit and switched to history...then I dropped out of college altogether and went to another one. I finished majoring in film, now all I want to do is go back to music again! Ahh!

Life itself is a conundrum, I will never figure out why we do the things we do. Only that we are human and make mistakes constantly because we're all bumbling through life.

She is also entitled to her own opinion of Road to Avonlea, just like many other audiences were at the time. I personally disagree with her if she thinks Avonlea was a poor family or kids' show, but I understand that not everyone is going to love the things I do.

Return to “Avonlea Chronicle”