Spot the actor!

Discuss the latest Avonlea actor, actress, and crew related news.
Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Spot the actor!

Post by Margherita » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:53 am

This week I´ve been busy watching my newly received dvd´s of another Canadian TV-show from around the same period as Avonlea: Katts & Dog (aka Rin Tin Tin K-9 Cop). I was a great fan of this show when I was in the US, but that was before I ever saw anything of Avonlea. And now that I´ve seen most of Avonlea recently, it´s hilarious to see characters I know from there re-appear in guest-roles in this modern day family/action series, and more often than not as the bad guys!

For example: did you know that Gus was Mrs. Bugle´s son? And went to jail for abusing a pony? And that Mrs. Bugle pretended to be an invalid, in order to avoid her only son to leave home?

Did you know that Aunt Eliza made her husband return the stolen money (thousands of dollars) to the bank, since he refused to help his friends get out of the hands of the police?

Did you know that Mr Beck from Charleston runs a malafide antique shop? (I thought he was in furniture...)

Did you know that Megget Lyddie earns some extra money as babysitter? (she was actually a "good guy")

And did you know that Stuart is an expert in stealing fancy sports cars? And a triggerhappy one, too: he shot a cop (one of the regulars in the series), who as a consequence spent the rest of his days in the series in a wheelchair... No wonder I find it difficult to really like him... :-D
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:11 am

Two more:

Did you know that Dr. Snow is the president of some very polluting factory? And that Abigail is his head of public relations?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: Spot the actor!

Post by Timothy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:11 am

:lol: These are hilarious! Especially the part about Gus going "to jail for abusing a pony." (The pony getting hurt isn't funny, just the part about Gus being bad) That is so wrong. I agree with the Stuart opinion. Although I think if he would have played that type of conniving character, without the violence, it would have made the storyline stronger in the seventh season. I'll have to watch these.

Thank you for sharing Marherita.
Last edited by Timothy on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 am

Margherita wrote:Two more:

Did you know that Dr. Snow is the president of some very polluting factory? And that Abigail is his head of public relations?
Now the Dr. Snow one doesn't surprise me, even though it is still funny to see many of our wholesome characters in diabolical roles. It seems that in the old roleplays, Dr. Snow was often viewed in a sinister light for some reason.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:51 am

Margherita wrote:
For example: did you know that Gus was Mrs. Bugle´s son? And went to jail for abusing a pony? And that Mrs. Bugle pretended to be an invalid, in order to avoid her only son to leave home?
Ha! Gus as Eulalie Bugle's son is hilarious to me. I could totally see her do that though.
Margherita wrote: Did you know that Aunt Eliza made her husband return the stolen money (thousands of dollars) to the bank, since he refused to help his friends get out of the hands of the police?
Was this a Bonnie and Clyde type thing and she went soft after awhile?
Margherita wrote: Did you know that Mr Beck from Charleston runs a malafide antique shop? (I thought he was in furniture...)
Well not too different from a furniture shop. That would have been funny if it turned out he was some shady con artist in Charleston. Hetty would have gloated about it forever.
Margherita wrote: Did you know that Megget Lyddie earns some extra money as babysitter? (she was actually a "good guy")
Well she did seem to take care of a lot of people. Never could figure out who the children were that she took care of. And Odelia calls her Granny but she didn't look nearly old enough to be Odelia's grandma!
Margherita wrote: And did you know that Stuart is an expert in stealing fancy sports cars? And a triggerhappy one, too: he shot a cop (one of the regulars in the series), who as a consequence spent the rest of his days in the series in a wheelchair... No wonder I find it difficult to really like him... :-D
I can totally see Stuart turning to a life of crime after being jilted by Felicity. Poor Constable Jeffries...
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Timothy wrote:Now the Dr. Snow one doesn't surprise me, even though it is still funny to see many of our wholesome characters in diabolical roles. It seems that in the old roleplays, Dr. Snow was often viewed in a sinister light for some reason.
Maybe we all (roleplayers, that is) thought he had a bit of an evil side about him? Or found him a bit creepy?
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:26 am

Did you know that Aunt Eliza made her husband return the stolen money (thousands of dollars) to the bank, since he refused to help his friends get out of the hands of the police?
Was this a Bonnie and Clyde type thing and she went soft after awhile?
Er... I don´t know Bonnie and Clyde, but all in all I have to admit I cannot
follow everything on these dvd´s. They´ve been dubbed in French, and my French is (surprisingly enough for me) sufficient to be able to follow the main story, but details...??
Well not too different from a furniture shop. That would have been funny if it turned out he was some shady con artist in Charleston. Hetty would have gloated about it forever.
LOL Oh yeah, she would have!
Well she did seem to take care of a lot of people. Never could figure out who the children were that she took care of. And Odelia calls her Granny but she didn't look nearly old enough to be Odelia's grandma!
And she is called MISS Lyddie as well. That puzzles me a bit...
I can totally see Stuart turning to a life of crime after being jilted by Felicity. Poor Constable Jeffries...
Allright...! Next fanfic-idea, who´s going to write it? After all, they did have automobiles in those days. So there´s bound to have been people stealing them, too! LOL

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 am

And one more:

Did you know that the Duke of Arranagh is nothing but a robber who killed a cop in cold blood? So much for nobility...

Last dvd-set came in yesterday. So far I´ve seen a few more vaguely familiar faces, but I haven´t been able to trace them down to their (Avonlea or other) counterparts.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:11 am

Margherita wrote:
OMG! I loved that show as a kid, but at the time I was taming an abused pony (the former owners used to hit him in the head with blunt objects), so that scene literally made me sick to my stomach. Its the first thing I think of when I hear a reference to that show (and I still find it disturbing). Good thing I didn't realize it was Gus when I started watching RTA (to this day, I still can't watch Felix and Blackie)!
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 am

No, it´s hard to believe seeing Gus doing that. But at least they didn´t *really* show him beating up that pony: that was a trick with shadows.

All in all he was very unlike Gus. A rather weak character.

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:09 am

And another one from Stuart:

Did you know he is an arrogant, very condescending police officer, who doesn´t listen to anyone but himself, and with no faith whatsoever in the use and abilities of a police dog?
Actually, I found this one resemble Stuart a lot...

According to the imdb, Felix has had a guest appearance in this show as well, from before he was in Avonlea(!). Haven´t been able to trace that ep on youtube yet though.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:33 pm

I went and poked around and couldn't find it, either. (It was called "Race Against Time".)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone