A Sad Day for Golphing at Green Gables

Red roads and beaches; Discuss LMM's home and inspiration
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

A Sad Day for Golphing at Green Gables

Post by Timothy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:31 am

With all the bad things going on in the world, the last thing we need is another tragedy. First world hunger, fighting between cats and dogs, and now this...

No golf at Green Gables in 2007
Last Updated: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 | 11:40 AM AT
CBC News
A decision to close the Green Gables Golf Course in 2007 for renovation has local businesses concerned and residents signing a petition to save the clubhouse tennis courts. "Two years in a row now, and it doesn't take very long to be forgotten in this world," said Walter Wyand, president of the Cavendish Area Resort Municipality.
Source

Let's just reflect on those words for a moment: 'It doesn't take very long to be forgotten in this world.' This eloquent statement shows us that it's not about the money... It's about preserving the unbreakable bond between Anne Shirley and golfing. And just when you thought the world couldn't get any bleaker...

Another worry for locals is the plan to remove the tennis courts from beside the clubhouse as part of the remodelling of the 18th hole. "If they take down those courts, there's no other courts in the Cavendish resort area for tourists or locals to play," said Janet Caird, who has played tennis at Green Gables for almost 30 years.

This article was timely. As the holiday approaches, let's all be thankful that we have tennis courts and golf courses in our communities and realize that there are others less fortunate in the world, like at the Cavendish resort.

ol' gus
Planted Magic Seeds

Golf and Anne

Post by ol' gus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:16 pm

Hey Tim,
Well-- I'm sad to hear that- GGGolf Course was a pretty darn good one! But funny correlation with Anne and golf- oh well-
Never saw any red-heads cross the course at any time during the day- And also, while living a stones throw from there in 2000-01, I think I only saw 1 red head- so much for the 'noble hearty stock', eh?
Peace
This here fiddle goes where I go.. even to th' outhouse- GUS

ol' gus
Planted Magic Seeds

More closings:

Post by ol' gus » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:10 am

The Rodd Hotel chain closing now- even though nothing to do with anne or avonlea- still, tourism has taken a beating over the past 5-8 years- more avonlea fans need to swarm the island!
This here fiddle goes where I go.. even to th' outhouse- GUS

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:06 am

I agree ol' Gus. I'm sure the hundredth anniversary of Anne of Green Gables will bring in some tourism. We could also have more Avonlea related movies/series to help promote the island.