How I came to love Avonlea

Drop by and tell us when you started watching the series and why you love Avonlea.
IheartP.E.I.
Bright Station Arrival

How I came to love Avonlea

Post by IheartP.E.I. » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:43 am

I must admit that I have never read or seen Anne of Green Gables. My interest in Avonlea came when I was a child and the show was airing on the Disney Channel.

Instantly I was drawn to the show. I believe a large part of this has to do with the fact that my father and his family hails from Canada and as a child and I must admit to this day I like to picture that my ancestors resided in Avonlea- eventhough I know that is not the case.

There are several era's I wish I was born during and I must admit the time period and setting of Avonlea seems like a natural fit for me. I'm even trying to convince my fiance to take me to Prince Edward Island sometime next year. I only wish he shared my enthusiasm for the show. But perhaps he will once he there. :)

Brenna
"It must have been exciting being a sailor, seeing the world." Felicity

"Well, I traveled near halfway around the world. Never saw a sight as lovely as what I'm lookn' at right here." Gus

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:59 am

Welcome and good luck with your trip!
Last edited by Gwendolene on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

vera
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by vera » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Welcome!!! :D

jax981
Bright Station Arrival

Post by jax981 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:32 pm

where about from canada is your father from? my grandparents were both from pei and moved to hamilton ontario, for work after they were married. when my "nana" was in her late teens, she went to boston for work as a maid, as many did at that time. i still have relatives in the boston area. she returned to the island when her youngest brother died of an infection at the age of 8 because it was during the war times and there were no antibiotics. that's around the time nana and papa tied the knot. i longed to visit PEI my entire childhood and didn't get the chance till 7 years ago, and have been down every year since, sometimes more. i feel such a connection when i'm down there. i imagine rta was very much the way my grandparents grew up.
my family would watch rta every sunday night for family hour. it's really the ONLY show my entire family would watch together, parents and all. it's ageless and timeless, a true classic.
if you get the change you should read anne of green gables, or watch the movies. if you love rta you'll love anne.
Welcome to the site, I’m new here as well.

oh and ps, if you husband is a golfer at all, pei in home to 3 of canada top 10 golf courses, (or so i hear, i'm not much of a golfer :P).
cheers
I dont Give a Tinkers Damn about the kaiser

Haystacks
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Haystacks » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Anne of Green Gables was given to me when I was about ten. I read it over and over and went on to read LM Montgomery's other books as well. I was given the first 2 Anne movies when I was 12 ish and watched them constantly. I did not have Disney as a little girl, but I cought occational glimpses of the show and loved them. PE Island came to represent comfort to me. When I saw the first Season of Road to Avonlea of DVD I consumed them--this past week I have been downloading all the seasons and watching them.

I had become disenchanted with Sullivan Entertainment after the third Anne movie came out. I was also grumpy because I could not complain to anyone who would undertand my outrage--most people I knew had not read the books or even heard of the movies.

I have to admit at first I was disenchated by seeing Tales from Avonlea as an adult. Through an adult's eyes the inconsistancy in the writing annoyed me, as well as the problems of the actor's leaving. But I still enjoy it, though I don't think anything can take the place of my beloved Anne.

I am on a mission to find the Emily series at a resonable price-- I read them as a kid and am not as attached as I am to the Anne stories, and therefor would most likely enjoy them more.

I wonder if there are going to be any other major adaptions of LM Montgomery's works on to the small screen-- 'The Blue Castle' is an underappreciated gem.