The First Time You Saw Avonlea

Drop by and tell us when you started watching the series and why you love Avonlea.
Dilly
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Dilly » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:32 am

I had only started to recently watch Avonlea, having grown up without Disney, I never had the chance to watch it on TV. But since the DVD's are out, I decided to try them out since I love the Anne of Green Gables movies. I have now become a huge fan of Avonlea and am now working on getting my family hooked on them. So far I haven't succeeded but I am sure it will eventually happen. I have gotten one little girl I babysit to love them too, though. They just don't make that many great and wholesome TV shows anymore.

Valancy
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Valancy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:29 pm

Dilly wrote: They just don't make that many great and wholesome TV shows anymore.
I agree! I wish there were more programs out there like RTA! Since I've come to the end of season 5 of RTA and I'm waiting for Season 6, I'm trying to find another great program to fill the gap. Can anyone recommend another TV series that is wholesome and fun like RTA? And is available on DVD?
LM Montgomery fan

The Story Girl
Found work at the Cannery

First time i saw RTA

Post by The Story Girl » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:53 pm

I remember seeing the first episode when i was probably five or six. Unfortunatly i didn't have enough common sense to pay attention to the name of the series...so I didn't watch the other episodes. Then, in 2004 i somehow got to be on sullivanboutique.com and went to RTA section. Recognizing it seemed like a good show, i bought the movie.

How i regret not watching the episodes when they were on the Disney channel. This is the best show ever! I've never watched a more cleaner show. The characters are fabulous especialy Sara, Hetty, Felicity... all of them. I like them alot. My mom fell in love with the show too.

We are both hooked. She was amazed that they're only 13 episodes each season. I know Road to Avonlea will never be put for sale in my house. So let's all go back down the golden road and open the door to the world of the simple past. The Road to Avonlea.
Avonlea is my second home.

Catspaw
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Catspaw » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:25 pm

Hi! I'm new here, but not new to liking RtA! :) I started watching near the beginning of when it started showing on CBC back in the early 90s - I'm only 20 now, so I was fairly young, and I really have no idea which episode I saw first, but it became a family tradition to watch RtA together on Sunday evenings. I still enjoy watching it, and plan to buy some of the season DVDs out there at some point. I wish that it was easier to buy them in stores, instead of having to go through the internet, but I guess I'm going to have to!

I've always been a big Gus and Felicity fan! :mrgreen: I loved watching their relationship grow, and some of my favourite eps involve the two of them together!

calebsmum
King Farm Hired Hand

Hi Everyone

Post by calebsmum » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:17 pm

Wow, can I say I'm so glad that a forum like this exists?! :D

I'm new to the fan base-I've just rediscovered Road to Avonlea while being on maternity leave. I've tried to watch episodes over the years, because I missed the last two years.

Road to Avonlea started when I was about 12, and it was my favorite show at the time. As I grew into my teenage years, being home to watch wasn't a priority. Rediscovering RTA, and the website dedicated to it has become a hobby of mine. My husband thinks I'm weird. I try to explain what it's like being a L.M.M. fan, but he doesn't get it.

I have seriously never seen most of season three, so I'm going to start collecting through Amazon.

Hope to chat with you all, take care! :wink:
"Look Aunt Hetty-I'm arrested!"
Felix King

katie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by katie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:27 pm

I had seen a few episodes back when I was little watching the Disney channel, but I really got into it when I joined the Anne forum back in 2000 and met some FABULOUS people who made me fall in love with this little fictional town and the people in it.
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

calebsmum
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by calebsmum » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:51 am

Which Anne forum?

I used to watch Anne all the time on PBS and they're not showing it anymore! :( I'll have to buy a copy of it.

I actually emailed Bravo and told them to move their RTA time back to evenings-I'm going back to work and won't be able to watch any more. I'm getting season three and four for Christmas, I think.
"Look Aunt Hetty-I'm arrested!"
Felix King

katie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by katie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:15 pm

anne3.com
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Pear38
Pat's Meow

Post by Pear38 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:56 pm

I never saw the show on television. I love Sullivan's Anne of Green Gables, so when I saw that a series by him based in the same town was coming to DVD, I bought it. I loved it from the start. :) It's still my favorite!

heartsandflowers
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by heartsandflowers » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:39 pm

Hello everyone,
since I'm completely new here,I haven't read any postings yet,but I will do so very soon,because I'm very curious to read how you all discovered Road to Avonlea.
So,I'll make a short intoduction of myself.
My name is Chris,that's short for Christel and I'm from Belgium.Born and raised in this country.
The first time I saw Road to Avonlea,was approx. arround 1990. I was about 16 or 17 then,I saw it for the first time on a Dutch channel and I immidiately fell in love with the show,the characters,the fun and laughter,the tears and the heartaches.I never saw past the beginning of the third season.I saw the first part of'when she was bad... she was horrid' and I don't know what happened to Sara or Gus after that.Years later.I'm talking at least 6 or 7 yrs later,I rediscovered the show on a Dutch channel,but alas,it was well past the third season and I can only read about what happened then on the net.When the show ended there,again they didn't show the proper ending and I never knew Gus and Felicity got married till I read it on line here.
Now,to my big surprise,the show is broadcasted by the Belgian channel Vitaya and I found out a bit late,but I managed to resume with the show in it's late third season.It goes without saying that I haven't missed an epi since.I loved this show then and I still love it very much now and mostly,it's just great to see,Hetty,Sara,Olivia,Jasper,Gus,Janet,Alec,Felix,Izzy,Gus,Felicity,Cecily,digger...oh and did I mention Gus Pike,again :D I guess I'm a Gus fan:)

Each and every character makes this show special and yes,it very much warms my heart.It makes me feel for them,laugh,cry and cheer with them.It's a timeless series and I'm extremely happy to know that it exists.
I also loved Anne of Green Gables,but for some reason,they don't show that here anymore :(

Well,this is my version anyway :wink:
I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

Chris.
"Felicity,did I hear you cheering for the other team..."Alec King

Roo18
Harvest Ball Costume Winner

Post by Roo18 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:13 pm

I do not remember when I first started watching RTA maybe when I was 5. Now that I am a lot older I can watch them anytime when I want because we taped all 91 episodes and the chistmas special. I have watch them a lot that I can give a summary for almost every epsiode.
"Let's go get some ice cream, before Felix eats it all" - Felicity King
"Such dreams Felix. Where do they go?" - Felicity King

Kara
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Kara » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:29 am

I started watching Road to Avonlea when I saw the DVDs "Tales From Avonlea" on Netflix. I loved the Anne of Green Gables movies so I figured this would be great to watch.... I watched one episode and I was hooked! Now I've been snapping up the DVDs as fast as I can get my hands on them - and watching them over and over again! I can't wait until season 6 comes out on DVD.

mjaclyn
King Farm Hired Hand

Avonlea

Post by mjaclyn » Wed May 03, 2006 9:19 am

I've always loved Avonlea - ever since the first time I saw it on the Disney Channel. Monday nights were a regular family get-together for us. We'd watch the new episode of Avonlea along with Ocean Girl. I think I've loved the show from the beginning because it always reminded me of my family. I'm the oldest of three children (so Felicity reminded me of myself), with my pesky brother in the middle and sweet younger sister at the end. We also have a large extended family who LOVE to get into each other's business so every week it was like watching a family reunion! :) Then, a few years ago I noticed that re-runs were being shown on the Hallmark Channel and I taped them. When the re-runs stopped I bought a few of the available Avonlea VHS tapes and now am the proud owner of all 5 seasons!! I can't wait to own the whole collection! It's a wonderful family show and I think the Disney Channel really needs something like this again.
"I am not easily fooled by your work, Felix King. You're up to no good and I know it."

x1ladybug
Bright Station Arrival

Post by x1ladybug » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:07 am

I was a young child when RTA started playing on the Disney Channel. My mother and I would watch it together and we absolutely loved it. When RTA played its final episode, the show was moved from the Disney Channel to LPB (Louisiana Public Broadcasting) where it played only a year or two. I was about 7 or 8 when LPB stopped playing RTA.

My interest wasn't sparked again until the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina (September 2006). As many of you know, there was massive devistation to the New Orleans area (where I currently live); yet my house recieved minimal damage. When the electricity was turned back on, there was absolutely nothing to watch because the cable lines were down. My mom sent me RTA (Disney) through the mail and each day after helping friends and relatives with their damaged homes, I would come home, take a shower, and watch an episode a night.

I eventually had my mom order me seasons 1-4 online, and through the madness of rebuilding New Orleans, RTA has offered me escape. The world that they lived in seemed so simple compared to what was going on here. I am so glad that there are so many people around the world that enjoy this series, because there truly is nothing like it on public television today. Also, I'm so thankful that it can be ordered online because it truly did help me when my world was literally turned upside down.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:36 am

Welcome everyone and welcome x1ladybug! Glad to hear your safe and with a little RTA.