The First Time You Saw Avonlea

Drop by and tell us when you started watching the series and why you love Avonlea.
sweetheart
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by sweetheart » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 am

I belive i started watching RTA when it first aired on CBC when i was a child....I injoyed it very much.....then i used to watch the re-runs of it onCBC afther school :D

Georgiana
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Georgiana » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:22 pm

I saw a dvd of RTA in a shop. I had never heard of it but I saw that it was by the makers of AOGG so I decided to buy it. I have loved RTA ever since. :D

gusfan
Bright Station Arrival

Post by gusfan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:11 pm

I have always loved the Anne of Green Gables movies and Lucy Maud Montgomery's books so as soon as I heard the Disney Channel was going to have a T.V. show set in Avonlea I knew I had to watch. I watched Avonlea as it was know to me every week....and I remember being crushed when it went off the air. Imagine my surprise when I found out my Avonlea was the same as Road to Avonlea and it was available on DVD. It took a long time but I finally saved enough to get the boxsets and I have been re-watching all of the episodes for the last month...and I realized how much I still love this show and these characters.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:57 pm

I first say the show about half a year ago, but I checked out the 5th one to see what it was like. I had seen them around the library, but had never seen it. It was really confusing at first but once my sister and I had finished it, we checked out the 1st one and we were hooked! It was actually alot better to understand after seeing the 5th season first and were all excited when Gus came in the 2nd season. So that's how I fell in love with "Road to Avonlea"

hobbie
Saved School Library Funds

Post by hobbie » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:14 am

:D oeps i posted it twice
Last edited by hobbie on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will never forget the days of my youth when the waves rippled between my toas....Hetty king

hobbie
Saved School Library Funds

Post by hobbie » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:14 am

I started watching the show about a year ago.It was broadcasted then on Belgium television.From the firsty start i knew this is something just for me and after i saw the episode"old quarrels,old love"i wanted to know everything about the show. :D
I will never forget the days of my youth when the waves rippled between my toas....Hetty king

OldBat
Boarding at Biggins'

Re: The First Time You Saw Avonlea

Post by OldBat » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:32 am

Timothy wrote:The one episode that really drew me into the series was 'Aunt Hetty's Ordeal.' This episode produced a fine balance of comedy and drama, from the rivalry between Hetty and Muriel to the moral struggle between the 'angel' and the 'devil' in Gus's love for music. I consider Gus's serenade at the end of the episode one of the finest moments in the series.
I LOVE that episode! I think that is Avonlea at it's finest. There was such a wonderful balance of characters, of innocence, and emotion. I felt so much empathy for Gus as he struggled to learn how to be a "gentleman". To this day I still quote that episode probably more than any other. Gus's serenade at the end always stirs up my emotions, and brings a tear to my eye.

I first discovered Avonlea when I was around 12 years old, when the series first aired on the Disney Channel. I think that was back in 1992 or 1993. I grew up with the children of Avonlea, as I was the same age as them. The series has truely and deeply influenced my younger years as I grew up and stepped into adulthood, and Avonlea still weighs heavily in the way I live my life today, at the age of 27.

In my mind, Avonlea was the single best series ever done. I don't watch very much TV at all, except to watch this show. It was a very wonderful tradition in my house as I grew up. I eagerly anticipated Monday nights when a new episode of Avonlea would air. I was probably the only kid at school who loved Mondays!

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:51 am

I know what you mean, OldBat, when you say it is the only TV show you watch. I watch very little TV, too, but my sister and I are always watching Avonlea. We are going through the series again. :) Even my parents have sat down and watched a show or two with us, and this past week (I have been sick) my mom has said, "Why don't you watch an Avonlea." This really surprised me because she has never suggested I watch TV and it was even more surprising that she suggested Avonlea. I guess once you start you are hooked.
It is funny, though, because a few nights ago we watched a show and when Hetty came on, Olivia said Hetty's name and my dad said, "That's Hetty King?" My sister and I talk about the characters so much that my parents know about them but hadn't ever seen them. So my dad knew her name and it was like he was meeting a new person. Pretty funny to me. :lol:

OldBat
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by OldBat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:54 pm

That is awesome! The characters are so well developed and distinct, that they really do seem like close personal friends.

I especially love Aunt Hettie's character development throughout the series. At first she was very stern and shrewd, then she loosened up a bit, and then at the end she came close to slipping back into her old ways until Felicity talked some sense into her.

alecking
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

How a TV show forever changed my life.

Post by alecking » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am

I was scanning my tv remote when I noticed some children under a table and one of them said, "Felix, your feet smell." I thought it was cute and as I watched, I heard the magic word, "Avonlea" being mentioned. Naturally, I loved the show knowing it was a AoGG spinoff. Got on the internet, which was new for me at the time, and searched "Avonlea". I was amazed of all the links. Joined a few e-mail list and had great fun writing and reading about all things 'Avonlea'. On day a young lady was hosting an 'Avonlea tea' for like-minded friends to meet and see various Avonlea filming sites in Canada. Now, I'm not the travelling type and I don't get out much, but to see Avonlea filming sites was too much for me to turn down. So, the following summer I jumped on a train from N.Y.C. to Canada, checked in a motel and met other Avonlea friends. Our hostess Lynda, was very charming and knowledgeable of the film sites. It was a world-wind 3 days and sadly I had to return to N.Y. I continued keeping in touch on the phone with Lynda, almost on a daily basis. One month I received my phone bill and noticed my long distance charges were over $1000. Who said, "Talks cheap." It was cheaper to visit Lynda than to talk over the phone. I trekked back and forth a few times. Needless to say, 6 months later we were married and lived in New York for 2 years, when I retired. We moved to Canada, bought a house and we're now living 'happily everafter'. All because of a TV show.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Re: How a TV show forever changed my life.

Post by AvonLea » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:07 am

alecking wrote:I was scanning my tv remote when I noticed some children under a table and one of them said, "Felix, your feet smell." I thought it was cute and as I watched, I heard the magic word, "Avonlea" being mentioned. Naturally, I loved the show knowing it was a AoGG spinoff. Got on the internet, which was new for me at the time, and searched "Avonlea". I was amazed of all the links. Joined a few e-mail list and had great fun writing and reading about all things 'Avonlea'. On day a young lady was hosting an 'Avonlea tea' for like-minded friends to meet and see various Avonlea filming sites in Canada. Now, I'm not the travelling type and I don't get out much, but to see Avonlea filming sites was too much for me to turn down. So, the following summer I jumped on a train from N.Y.C. to Canada, checked in a motel and met other Avonlea friends. Our hostess Lynda, was very charming and knowledgeable of the film sites. It was a world-wind 3 days and sadly I had to return to N.Y. I continued keeping in touch on the phone with Lynda, almost on a daily basis. One month I received my phone bill and noticed my long distance charges were over $1000. Who said, "Talks cheap." It was cheaper to visit Lynda than to talk over the phone. I trekked back and forth a few times. Needless to say, 6 months later we were married and lived in New York for 2 years, when I retired. We moved to Canada, bought a house and we're now living 'happily everafter'. All because of a TV show.
Oh my gosh, that is one of the most romantic stories I've ever heard! And all because of Avonlea. :) That is absolutely amazing... Who would have ever thought? I am going to remember that story forever and ever and tell it to my nieces and nephews (when my sister gets married and has kids).

alecking

Post by alecking » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 pm

> Oh my gosh, that is one of the most romantic stories I've ever heard! And all because of Avonlea. <

What I find amazing is I really thought at the time, I will never marry. I was 56, set in my ways and with no romantic prospects. If you'd tell me then, in a few years I'd be married and living in Canada, I'd think you were in need of serious therapy. I lived in N.Y. all my life. No way I'd leave. Lynda came from a very small town in Canada and she also never married. I doubt at that very same time in her life, if you'd tell her in a few years you will marry a guy and move to the Bronx, she might say, "Marry? Yes.....but the Bronx! THE BRONX!! No way, Jose." Now we're approaching our 8th year of marriage and boy did those years fly.
Avonlea will always hold a special place in our hearts. All because of, "Felix, your feet smell."
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:01 pm

alecking wrote:> Oh my gosh, that is one of the most romantic stories I've ever heard! And all because of Avonlea. <

What I find amazing is I really thought at the time, I will never marry. I was 56, set in my ways and with no romantic prospects. If you'd tell me then, in a few years I'd be married and living in Canada, I'd think you were in need of serious therapy. I lived in N.Y. all my life. No way I'd leave. Lynda came from a very small town in Canada and she also never married. I doubt at that very same time in her life, if you'd tell her in a few years you will marry a guy and move to the Bronx, she might say, "Marry? Yes.....but the Bronx! THE BRONX!! No way, Jose." Now we're approaching our 8th year of marriage and boy did those years fly.
Avonlea will always hold a special place in our hearts. All because of, "Felix, your feet smell."
Who would have ever thought that you'd marry because of that line. Wow. Is Lynda posting on any Avonlea forum?

alecking

Post by alecking » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:11 am

Lynda and I are committee members of the Road to Avonlea Convention. We're holding our 3rd convention in Toronto this summer. It's a great place to meet fellow RTA fans and some castmembers. In past AvCon's we had Kevin Sullivan, Mag Ruffman, R.H. Thompson and Harmony Cramp to name a few. More info for this years event will be coming soon. I hope to get our creative webmaster to help advertise it. There is a website that has photos and videos of past events.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 am

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. :)

It's too bad Felix's socks from that episode aren't available at Sullivan's ebay site.