7.13 So Dear To My Heart

Comment and grade episodes from the series.
Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Margherita » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:57 am

Yeah, Hetty´s continuous putting down Jasper annoys me, too. Even more since Jasper doesn´t retaliate - he even comes to her defence in Home Movie when the town accuses Hetty of having taken Sara´s funds to save the town.

But Hetty admirable?? Sure, she has some fine qualities, but the way she always tries to make friends with the VIP´s and worries about making a good impression on just those people, no matter who she has to step on on the way... That´s something I find far from admirable.

Margherita
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 am

Hetty is very admirable for her fierce loyalty to her family and in protecting the identity of Avonlea. She becomes the central figure in the series. Getting back to this episode, her final speech in So Dear to My Heart is one of the most praised moments among fans in the series.

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

SDTMH

Post by arose28 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:06 am

I like the speech that Aunt Hetty does in SDTMH, it is just too bad that she had to just about spoil Felicity's special day in order to learn that times must and always do change. It is almost as if Hetty has fought against change all her life. From Ruth leaving and marrying Blair, to Olivia leaving the nest and marrying Jasper, to letting Sarah into her life and then letting her grow up and mature. I think that Aunty Hetty is not ready to accept that life is full of changes, but that the memories remain with us for always.
Love Avonlea!

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Marina » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:26 pm

I firmly believe that Hetty is the central figure in the series and that she is an admirable character! Yes, she had her moments, but still, I see her as a positive character! She was the one who helped Gus when he really needed help, and, even though she seemed really rigid at times, she obviously loved her family very much and just wanted everyone to be happy. Let`s not forget; Hetty is the one who made Alec realise that Gus is a gentleman when he opposed Felicity`s relationship with him.

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Aunt Hetty in the series

Post by arose28 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:43 pm

I know, I like Aunt Hetty too, and she does have her good points and bad points. She reminds me somewhat of my mom. My mom is the same way, very much down to earth but also very kind and realistic. She did help Alec see that Gus loved Felicity and wanted the best for her, and also helped Gus to see that he could still have a life and thrive in spite of his accident. She also cared for Sarah when Blair was suspected of embezzling and then killed, and she has done a lot for the town of Avonlea. It is too bad the producers had to portray her as schmoozing up to the VIPs and also being so narrow-minded at times.
Love Avonlea!

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:36 am

;-) Hey, I didn´t say Hetty was a BAD character! ;-)))) She´s as human, with human faults, as any of the others! It´s just that - for me - the nature of her faults are such that I would not exactly pick her for a role-model. She has lots of admirable traits, no doubt about it (and I didn´t deny that the first time either ;-) And she has done lots of good things in those seven seasons we´ve seen her. (Though I´m pretty sure Alec had figured out by himself that Gus loved Felicity before The Dinner...) But this "schmoozing up" (funny word) to the VIP´s is something I find despicable...

And yes: I totally agree that Hetty King is the real central figure in the series!

Margherita

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

SDTMH

Post by arose28 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm

I guess what attracted Hetty to the VIPs was all the attention, and I think everyone wants a little of that in their own lives, that flash and magic! But yet, Aunt Hetty could not understand that her family members had their own lives and interests. For Hetty, it was her writing, for Alec it was the farm and his love of music, for Janet she enjoyed baking and crafting. Jasper had his inventions, Felix loved the hotel and being around people, Sarah loved to travel and to take adventures, and Cecily enjoyed being with the animals. Aunt Hetty, it seemed to me, wanted to keep people in those roles and almost wanted to stop time. We can't stop time, that is the problem. :)
Love Avonlea!

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Hetty was absolutely afraid of change but we know why. Because change to her=tragedy (her mother dying when she was so young). Change would forever be associated with negative feelings for Hetty. I think what is great about her character (aside from being incredibly funny when she goes so overboard about things) is her flaws. I mean she can make me mad and frustrated, don't get me wrong. As much as I like Olivia, sometimes she comes off as a little too perfect. Although she does have insecurities like Hetty, they're just different insecurities than Hetty has. I prefer the characters who feel like real people (which is why I never liked Sara that much-esp after S1) because they mess up the same way we do. I like seeing Felix and Felicity grow and develop into mature adults. I liked Cecily better when she came back from the sanitarium because she had more of a real character, including flaws. And I like that Hetty continues to grow and change even at her older age.
ImageImageImageImage

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Aunt Hetty and other characters

Post by arose28 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:46 pm

I agree. I noticed that about Aunt Hetty. That she hated to see those around her change or leave, or anything that was unfamiliar. I too like Molly Atinkson as Cecily instead of Harmony Cramp. I think they wanted to show that Cecily had faced death and it had made her develop an appreciation for life, not simply to be the sweet and accepting Cecily we had seen before. I like Olivia, but like you, I find her sometimes too sweet and at other times, she gets a bit too dramatic. My favorite is Janet. I would love to have her as a mother! And Alec is such a world apart from Hetty, that it is surprising that they have the same mother. Is there a sound recording of Cedric Smith's songs that he did for Avonlea? I would love to have All Through the Night and the song he performed on King of The Great White Way. :)
Love Avonlea!

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:43 am

I, too, would love to have Janet for a mother! Nothing wrong with my own ;-) but out of all the Avonlea characters, she´d be my favourite Mum! And Alec for a father. Though I´m not so sure it would be so nice to have two such pain in the necks like Felix and Felicity for siblings, especially in their younger years... I think I´d prefer Gus and Andrew for big brothers :-))))

I like Felix and Felicity much better together when they´re a little older. Their bickering still goes on, but they´re more equal ;-) and more than before, they are there for each other in times of need. Reminds me very much of my relationship with my own brother.

Another kid that I find too perfect is Dora Keith. It doesn´t bother me that much in Sara (I´m not so sure she is all that perfect - remember the Double Trouble and eps like that?), but I can´t recall Dora doing ANYTHING wrong at all...

Margherita

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

SDTMH

Post by arose28 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 pm

You should read Anne of Avonlea, when Davey and Dora make their first appearance. Doa is extremely perfect in the book and Davey is so horrible that you almost wonder why Marilla did not seperate the twins. I agree with you, I would not have wanted Felcity and Felix for siblings, and Sarah, I agree with you, during the series, she was not as involved nor as interesting as she was described in the books The Story Girl or The Golden Road. I always find it a bit confusing, when I read the two books and then watch the series, because of some characters were added and others not included. :(
Love Avonlea!

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:39 am

I don´t think I know Anne of Avonlea, though I vaguely remember I have read a few books in the Anne-series. I definitely do not remember Dora and Davey in book-version.
I only got hold of the storygirl a few months ago. And found it pretty confusing, with all the changed, and then suddenly recognizable characters. I liked the chronicles and further chronicles better: all those stories that reminded me of episodes!

Margherita

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Other Characters

Post by arose28 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 am

OMG! :shock: You have to read the Anne books! Especially Anne of Avonlea and Anne of The Island and More! Anne of Windy Poplars is really good, but my favorite Anne book is the 5th one Anne's House of Dreams. Rilla of Ingleside is very good and deals with much of the same emotions that a lot of people who have loved ones in the Iraq War are facing, even though Rilla deals with World War I. You also should read Jane of Lantern Hill! The book is delightful, wheras the movie version is something else! If you want an amazing romance, Kilmeny of The Orchard is so beautiful! I like The Story Girl and The Golden Road because they are different than the series, not better but different. You also get to see more of the background of the King family and also, some of the characters are more developed than on the series. I got the three-volume book, Days of Dreams and Laughter which has The Story Girl, The Golden Road and Kilmeny in it. I also have read the Pat books, Magic For Marigold and the short story collections. The Emily books are good too! :)
Love Avonlea!