7.13 So Dear To My Heart

Comment and grade episodes from the series.
Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:36 am

I just watched this episode last night. There are many good moments in this episode. My favorite being Hetty’s speech at the very end about Wherever they wonder they’ll always have a place to come home to. I am always temped to pop in season 1 and start watching the whole series over again. A great moment.

I also like the part where Felicity says to Hetty that you need to put aside your differences because we’re family and that she’ll stand and rot in her wedding dress until Aunt Hetty comes to the wedding.

Has anyone done that?---I mean put aside disagreements, in a family, because you realized family was more important then the disagreement. What made you realize that family was more important then the disagreement? (I doubt it was a niece, in a wedding dress, saying it will rot if you don’t get over the argument)

I discovered something in this episode. Rachel Lyne is getting ready to go to the wedding and she trying to convince Hetty that she should go and that if she doesn’t she’ll live to regret it. Hetty doesn’t seem to be listening. Yesterday I just noticed what Hetty was reading. It looked like the Holy Bible. Two thoughts came to my mind…either Hetty was trying to silently say “I am right and reading this book proves it” (this thought made me laugh :lol: ) or she was trying to silence her guilt ridden mind.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:19 pm

What are did you think of (7.13) So Dear To My Heart?
What was your:
Favorite Moment: When Alec hugs Gus and is all teary. When Felicity stamps her foot, yells "Aunt Hetty" and insists she come to the church. When Felicity runs back into the church with Hetty. When Felicity and Gus are declared husband and wife.

Who Steals The Show: Felicity, Gus and Hetty
Favorite Quote: "It's good to have you home, Son." Alec King
"Ah don't know Miss Kang. Sometimes ah person loses heart. (Gus) "Yes, but you're not one of those persons, are you Gus Pike?" Hetty
"Show me you can put your differences aside because we're family. Don't you see, that's all that matters?" Felicity

What Didn't you like?: no fiddle! I wanted Felicity to give Gus a new fiddle as a wedding gift. I also wanted Gus to toast his bride and she to toast him. I wanted him to play a song in tribute to her and to the King family. Maybe some jamming with Elbert and some dancing. I wanted to see a father daughter dance and a mother son dance. I also wanted it to be longer. I know Return to Me and SDTMH are almost like one episode but I think SDTMH could have been at least 30 mins longer. Then we could have had some more about Fizzy, Sara. I wanted to see Andrew and Roger, Malcolm and Abigail and Great Aunt Eliza. I know she was in England so it would have been difficult. I would have liked to have seen Ezekiel and Eliza, too. Or at least have someone mention where they were.

Comments: My understanding was that there was a chance that Gus's eyesight would improve somewhat but not that it would ever be fully regained.
ImageImageImageImage

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

So Dear to My Heart

Post by arose28 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:41 pm

:) My favorite moment: When Gus gets off the train and Alec sees him. It makes you realize how much Gus came to be a surrogate son, and how much Felicity and her anguish over losing Gus had bothered him.

My least favorite moment is when Felicity talks to Stuart. From the beginning of their relationship in Out of the Ashes, I felt that Felicity had done everything to tell Stuart that her heart was broken, but that he just kept on persisting, so he did go into the whole situation warned, but then he acted like a spoiled child.

My favorite line is when Felicity tells Gus that she has loved him from the moment she first saw him. It was an 'I'll go with you to the ends of the earth' moment.

I would have loved to see if they could have resolved Felix and Izzy, by Felix proposing to Izzy and then making way for a wartime wedding in the Christmas movie and tie up the rest of the loose ends, i.e. Andrew King and Roger, also what happenned to Seth Pritchard and Mavis, and many more. I guess it is just that you want things to go on and on.
Love Avonlea!

Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Margherita » Sat May 30, 2009 10:24 am

Favourite moment: Alec´s reaction when Gus gets off the train. I love that scene, and often play this ep until this scene right after having watched Return to Me (my more favourite one of those two eps).
Another one: the end of Hetty´s speech, where she mentions that wherever the people of Avonlea go, they´ll always have a place to come home to: our dear Avonlea. Always gets me teary...

Favourite quote: see my signature ;-)

What I didn´t like: the whole thing about the operation. Of course it´d be nice for Gus to - perhaps - be able to see again, but I would have liked it infinitely better if he would have shown to be able to provide for Felicity, even without having his eyesight. After all, he´s the guy who can do anything he puts his mind to, right? Now that Felicity has "rescued" him from his depression, shouldn´t much of the old industrious and inventive Gus Pike return as well?
Besides: many blind men manage to provide for themselves. To me, this whole operation thing is giving a distorted message; that one can´t be fully happy / fully able to make a living when blind.
It´s not that I wouldn´t want him to regain his eyesight - if anyone deserves the best in Avonlea, it´s Gus! - but it would have made the story more interesting having him CONCUR his handicap instead of trying to remedy it. So the operation could have waited a few years, for a sequel-film like Avonlea Christmas for example?

Margherita
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 am

[quote="hannikan"] What Didn't you like?: no fiddle! I wanted Felicity to give Gus a new fiddle as a wedding gift. [/quote]

Mmmm.... You´re giving me a nice idea for a fanfic!

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Gus Being Blind

Post by arose28 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:26 am

I agree with you, Margherita. My husband, Scott, is blind and he has had several operations to improve his sight, until the Doctors said that there was no more that could be done. He gets mad when people assume that because he is blind he cannot do anything. Scott works, he does much the same things as everyone else does. We also have two children, Ami and Caleb, that can see perfectly. We got upset when I was pregnant with them that people assumed because Scott was blind that the children would be the same. In So Dear To My Heart, what also gets me upset is the fact that Felix and Izzy have a relationship, but the episode does not show any interaction between them. :?
Love Avonlea!

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Margherita wrote: What I didn´t like: the whole thing about the operation. Of course it´d be nice for Gus to - perhaps - be able to see again, but I would have liked it infinitely better if he would have shown to be able to provide for Felicity, even without having his eyesight. After all, he´s the guy who can do anything he puts his mind to, right? Now that Felicity has "rescued" him from his depression, shouldn´t much of the old industrious and inventive Gus Pike return as well?
Besides: many blind men manage to provide for themselves. To me, this whole operation thing is giving a distorted message; that one can´t be fully happy / fully able to make a living when blind.
It´s not that I wouldn´t want him to regain his eyesight - if anyone deserves the best in Avonlea, it´s Gus! - but it would have made the story more interesting having him CONCUR his handicap instead of trying to remedy it. So the operation could have waited a few years, for a sequel-film like Avonlea Christmas for example?

Margherita
Yes, I agree with you about wanting them to show that he was capable of doing things while blind. I am always annoyed when ppl are angry that the operation didn't work. First of all, realistically the chances were very low that it would have. Also, why do we need to have him with sight in order to be happy with how things ended? He's still Gus (which I think they do keep the character in tact very well) and he is resourceful so we know he would have found ways to show himself capable. Felicity loves him no matter what.

But I do think it was important to show him have a distressed reaction to his condition. Most people who become disabled (rather than being born with one) go through a period of depression after it happens. It would have been very unrealistic to show him be fine right away with becoming blind. He's a man who's worked with his hands all his life, shown his usefulness with physical strength until becoming educated in Avonlea. He would have been very angry at his ordeal I think. I also think he would have wanted the operation right away, he would have been impatient to be back to the way he was. It would have taken him awhile to accept his condition, as it would almost anyone who becomes disabled. But I do think he would have come to terms with it well, esp having people around who loved him and validated that he was still an important member of the community. I wanted them to show the developments he'd made since SDTMH in HCMK though. He was working in the movie but we don't see him. The problem I have with the way they treated Gus in the movie is that Felicity seems to make decisions without his input. There's something about it that makes it feel like they aren't even married.
ImageImageImageImage

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

SDMH vs. HCMK

Post by arose28 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:33 pm

I think what they wanted to show was that it was wartime and a lot of women were alone and having to make decisions without their husbands. Also, I think they wanted to show that Felicity was finally mature enough to make some decisions for herself instead of depending upon everyone in the past, the way that she did in the series. Also, in SDTMH, I think they wanted to show that Gus really hadn't changed that much, that he was still determined and perservering
Love Avonlea!

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sun May 31, 2009 6:36 am

[quote="hannikan"]Yes, I agree with you about wanting them to show that he was capable of doing things while blind. I am always annoyed when ppl are angry that the operation didn't work. First of all, realistically the chances were very low that it would have. Also, why do we need to have him with sight in order to be happy with how things ended? He's still Gus (which I think they do keep the character in tact very well) and he is resourceful so we know he would have found ways to show himself capable. Felicity loves him no matter what.

But I do think it was important to show him have a distressed reaction to his condition. Most people who become disabled (rather than being born with one) go through a period of depression after it happens. It would have been very unrealistic to show him be fine right away with becoming blind. He's a man who's worked with his hands all his life, shown his usefulness with physical strength until becoming educated in Avonlea. He would have been very angry at his ordeal I think. I also think he would have wanted the operation right away, he would have been impatient to be back to the way he was. It would have taken him awhile to accept his condition, as it would almost anyone who becomes disabled. But I do think he would have come to terms with it well, esp having people around who loved him and validated that he was still an important member of the community. [/quote]

There: we got a perfect reason why an 8th season was necessary! That could have explored his way to accepting and concurring his handicap. And perhaps a few operations to try and remedy it. (And give us fans a chance to see them together as man and wife :-)

As for having the operation immediately: I don´t know how historically accurate Avonlea is in general, but they did mention it was a new procedure. Couldn´t that procedure have waited a few years until coming to that part of the world? ;-)

Margherita

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun May 31, 2009 10:12 am

Margherita wrote:There: we got a perfect reason why an 8th season was necessary! That could have explored his way to accepting and concurring his handicap. And perhaps a few operations to try and remedy it. (And give us fans a chance to see them together as man and wife :-)
If there was an eighth season, you would likely only see Mahonen for one, maybe two episodes, since he only wanted to appear occasionally as a guest. Also, if there were any cutbacks in federal funding for the series, he would likely not appear at all, like in HCMK. Thus, the 8th season would be filled with more Davey and Selena Dale episodes.

UNLESS, they created a virtual Gus, similiar to how they cut pieces of video and audio soundbites of Marilla into the series.

And as the timeline stipulates, you only have a handful of months to complete the season before WW1, as Sullivan bumped the year of the seventh season final to 1913 (Until it was retconned back to 1912 in HCKM).
Margherita wrote:As for having the operation immediately: I don´t know how historically accurate Avonlea is in general, but they did mention it was a new procedure. Couldn´t that procedure have waited a few years until coming to that part of the world? ;-)
Possibly. In the magic of television however, the surgery and doctor is available immediately, and despite complications, there is a 100% chance of success.

~

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

STMH and 8th Season of Avonlea

Post by arose28 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:55 am

What would have been nice is if they could have gotten some funding from the L.m. Montgomery estate and the PEI tourism board, since so many come to the Island because of the series' popularity. I think also, if they had been able to lock in the stars contracts they would have been able to afford an eigth season and be able to tie up loose ends. As to Gus having the operation so soon, when you have a chance to ciure your eye problems, you do it immediately. My husband, Scott, has retinopathy, and when he develops a problem that requires surgery, he immediately has it operated on. The reason being is that if you wait to fix a problem with your vision, you risk losing even more of it. When you are dealing with the eyes, you are dealing with blood vessels that supply oxygen to the nerves and rods that give you your sight. If those nerves are deprived of oxygen, they die and then you lose eyesight. I also think Gus wanted the surgery because he wanted to feel useful and capable again, instead of in Charleston, where he was very much dependent on Meggie Lydie and Odelle. :)
Love Avonlea!

hannikan

Re: SDMH vs. HCMK

Post by hannikan » Sun May 31, 2009 11:06 am

arose28 wrote:I think what they wanted to show was that it was wartime and a lot of women were alone and having to make decisions without their husbands. Also, I think they wanted to show that Felicity was finally mature enough to make some decisions for herself instead of depending upon everyone in the past, the way that she did in the series. Also, in SDTMH, I think they wanted to show that Gus really hadn't changed that much, that he was still determined and perservering
Yes, they might have been trying to show women and men separated during the war... there were a few weird things though that made it seem like they forgot about Gus when writing the script though. When Felicity interviews at the orphanage the headmistress calls her Miss King! I thought they'd shown Felicity making decisions on her quite well in the 7th season already. Of course how you make decisions when you're single is very different from how you make them when you are married.
ImageImageImageImage

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

STMH

Post by arose28 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:03 pm

This is very true, but it some cases, the wife still makes all the decisions! I always wonder what would have happened if Hetty had gotten married? Would she have let her husband have a say or would she still rule the roost? :lol:
Love Avonlea!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: STMH

Post by Timothy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:30 am

arose28 wrote:This is very true, but it some cases, the wife still makes all the decisions! I always wonder what would have happened if Hetty had gotten married? Would she have let her husband have a say or would she still rule the roost? :lol:
I suppose it depends on which Hetty we're talking about-- The admirable strong willed stick-to-your-beliefs Hetty or the bizarre LM Montgomery/Story woman Sullivan morphed her into in later seasons.

http://www.avonleaguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

So Dear To My Heart

Post by arose28 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:51 am

I picture the strong-willed Hetty who was always chiding Sarah for her outlandish behavior and trying to manage everything. I alwasy wonder what would have happened had she and Rodney Pettibone made a match of it or some other suitor. I think that is why she wanted to see Gus and Felicity be together, because she knew what it was like to have regrets about things not done or accomplished. What makes me unhappy is how much Hetty puts down Jasper in the series! Hetty was always uphoding perserverance as a King family trait and then when Olivia and Jasper decide to perservere over the tragedies that have befall them, she chews them out! :!:
Love Avonlea!