Arthur returns as a rival

Comment and grade episodes from the series.
Avonlea Fan
Planted Magic Seeds

Arthur returns as a rival

Post by Avonlea Fan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Some of you have mentioned the producers could have had Arthur come back in Season 6-7 and become engaged to Felicity, thus reviving an already heated rival with Gus, instead of bringing in Stuart McCrae.

I think it would've been a great idea. The producers already had the background for and viewer interest in the three characters.

So why do you suppose they didn't bring Arthur back?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:11 am

David Ferry (Stuart McRae) is secretly Kevin Sullivan's brother in law or step-father and got special preferences? :) I have no idea.

Avonlea Fan
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Avonlea Fan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:26 pm

LOL, Timothy. :lol:

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:35 am

Had Zach Ansley already moved to Vancouver by season 7?
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:55 pm

I think it was best they did not. Felicity had already chosen Gus over Arthur. That was so long ago, they had both changed a lot. I'm not sure that Arthur would have been interested in Felicity any longer. There seemed to be somewhat of a spark btwn him and Sara in Comings and Goings, as well. Stuart was too old for Felicity and was never meant to really be someone we'd want her to end up with. I think they wanted someone no one would route for as a beau but that you could still understand Felicity developing a friendship with. He was a kind person and Felicity was very lonely and confused about whether she should move on from Gus or not. Voila-Stupicity! I think they chose Stuart because he did not know Gus and did not know his relationship with Felicity. It needed to be an outsider.

As far as casting goes, Michael Mahonen was already 12 years older than Gema. So when she was 20 at the end of the show, MM was 32 (although Gus was only supposed to be about 22/23). In order for Stuart to look older than Gus, they needed to find someone even older. I think they went too old though...
ImageImageImageImage

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Another possibility would have been Seth Prichard (Colleen's widow). I think they were leading us to believe something would develop btwn Felicity and Seth because they were becoming friends just as Gus was reported dead and soon after Colleen died after labor. I think the problem with that storyline is that you might have actually had the audience more divided. Seth was a much better match in terms of age and the fact that he and Felicity would both have been grieving. I think that would have been pulling the audience's emotions in too many directions. The Stuart and Felicity relationship seems to have been intended to mirror LMM and her husband's a bit, although I don't think there was a substantial age difference in that case. There were a lot of other reasons it was different. More in the sense that there was little passion or romance. I think it was to show Felicity needing to choose btwn settling into what was expected of her or following her heart.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:48 am

hannikan wrote:Another possibility would have been Seth Prichard (Colleen's widow). I think they were leading us to believe something would develop btwn Felicity and Seth because they were becoming friends just as Gus was reported dead and soon after Colleen died after labor.
What about that rule that a girl isn't supposed to go out/court with her best friend's husband? Does this rule still count if her best friend dies? Anyway, wouldn't Felicity get creeped out if she were with Seth and think about the terrible tragedy that happened to Colleen all the time?

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:57 pm

Yeah, but Colleen wasn't her best friend, at least not anymore. She hadn't seen her in years. But I agree, she probably would not have felt comfortable getting involved with Seth given Colleen's death. I think if that was going to happen it would have taken many years to develop. Of course, Seth did marry about a year after Colleen's death. And wasn't Mavis Colleen's cousin?
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:43 pm

I think they were cousins; yes.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Marina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Yes, they were cousins.
I think Stuart was the best choice. The fact that he was, in a way, an outsider, and that he, even though he was a good guy, was so obviously "not the man Gus Pike was", makes us cheer for Felicity&Gus reunion even harder, and I think it fits the storyline perfectly!