Lonely Hearts 6.2

Comment and grade episodes from the series.
makethebadmanstop
Bright Station Arrival

Lonely Hearts 6.2

Post by makethebadmanstop » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:25 am

Am I the only who agrees with the notion that Lionel Lester really need not have "stolen" the dress from the charity box? Clearly his family qualifies for a handout...I'm just saying...

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Marina » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:40 am

:lol: I can`t believe I haven`t noticed that before! True. But the storyline is more dramatic this way.... :)

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Yeah, is it actually theft if you are probably going to end up with the charity clothing anyway? I suppose Lionel was in a rush and needed to cut out the middle man.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:24 pm

But this was the foreign missions' box, not for local charity. So these clothes would have gone to the poor in places where the church had a missionary post. It was very foolish of Lionel to think the dress wouldn't have been recognized by the former owner in such a small village.
ImageImageImageImage

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:08 pm

This topic has me curious--did Avonlea turn a blind eye to their poor? What is the consensus?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:30 pm

Yeah; the box was for the Foreign Missions.

Speaking of which, at least in the series, it didn't seem like Avonlea gave a fig about their own poor at all. :(
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Well, the only poor they seemed to care about were orphans (the foundling home). Ppl had big hearts for abandoned children but as a town they didn't care much for the general impoverished population. But I think individuals did for other individuals. Alec did a lot of things for those struggling in the community on a smaller scale (Amos Spry, Caleb Stokes). Hetty did for Gus, of course. I think that is pretty true to the time period that the middle and upper classes didn't think much about the poor as a group in their midst, honestly. I mean there were a few social reformers who really tried to get ppl to understand the need for charity in local communities but most energy was directed at missionary work in "godless" countries.
ImageImageImageImage

makethebadmanstop
Bright Station Arrival

Post by makethebadmanstop » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:42 am

I didn't remember the "foreign" bit :oops: I agree with y'all though...Avonlea doesn't seem too concerned about the needy people in the community. Hmmm.... :roll:

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Marina » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 am

It`s a realistic portrayal of the time period. Whether we like it or not.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Oh and there was Simon/the White Sands passing out food to the cannery workers whose houses were destroyed in the last episode. Jasper and Olivia tried to help their workers as long as they could, too. So there were some examples of charity in the community, esp after disasters struck.
ImageImageImageImage

Taru
Bright Station Arrival

Re: Lonely Hearts 6.2

Post by Taru » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:12 am

I like this episode and it's one of the selected ones I've shown to my husband who is not a RTA/LMM-fan (yet!). He found it hilarious as well. I love how Hetty gets so excited about the auction (although I sometimes wonder whether it's entirely fitting to Hetty's character to go along with this bachelor auction...) and the bottle of liniment that Clive gives her, setting it on the supper table! :lol: And I always get misty eyed when first no one bids on Davey's basket and then Becky offers what she's able and they look so darn cute! The Rachel/Pierre-situation is funny as well. But what happened to Alec's basket? Doesn't he mention somewhere in the beginning that Janet will bid on his basket no matter what is in there? Suddenly he is the auctionere (sp?). Come to think of it: he SHOULDN'T be in the auction because he is a married man! Maybe the talk about the basket and Janet bidding was just hypothetical, random musing along the lines "Janet would bid if..." I have to watch it again! A nice excuse! I'll stop my rambling now! :D