Homecoming

Comment and grade episodes from the series.
Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Homecoming

Post by Margherita » Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 am

Having seen this ep for the first time this weekend left me wondering. I´ve known the happy end for Gus and Felicity long before I saw the episode in which Gus´s death was reported. In the last ep of a season, no less.

How did you guys, who saw everything in order - and probably had to wait a year before finding out about the happy outcome - experience the Homecoming episode? And the following courting by Stuart, NOT knowing that it would all end well at last?

Just curious!

Margherita
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Homecoming episode

Post by arose28 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:16 am

Hi Margharita!
Watching Homecoming was interesting. First, with Cecily coming home and being healthy and well, and then struggling to show people that she was cured and the whole town of Avonlea at first convinced that she was going to give them TB. Then, Felicity deciding that when Gus would return that she would marry him and everything looked rosy, that was good. The hardest thing for me to watch was when Sally said that Gus had been drowned and Felicity thought that Gus was dead. Felicity had loved Gus for so long and when the home stretch was in sight, so to say, was hard. As for Stuart, it kind of made me mad. Felicity was being told by everyone around her that she needed to move on, to get over Gus and was practically throwing her at Stuart, and then, when Gus was alive, it just complicated matters. Stuart should have been man enough to stay in Avonlea and wish them the best, instead of tormenting Felicity so like that at the end. Felicity told Stuart herself that she was not ready to be involved with anyone and that she was in mourning, yet he kept on pushing her. :D
Love Avonlea!

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Marina » Mon May 25, 2009 2:39 pm

I`m really glad I watched final three seasons last year, so I already knew that the show ends well...otherwise, I would be too nervous to watch! I would be devastated after Homecoming and probably wouldn`t even continue watching the show! :lol:

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue May 26, 2009 10:51 am

Thinking back, I never thought Gus was really dead at the end of season six. The only question was when is he coming back? Or, when will Michael Mahonen's schedule open up?

This is probably because the writers/producers ruined the suspension of disbelief by previously having all of Gus's family (Abe or Ezekiel, take your pick) miraculously return from the dead.

1. Abe Pike plunged to his doom from the top of the lighthouse in 'Sea Ghost.' He re-appears in 'But When She Was Bad' with an eye patch. By Odin's beard! He must have gouged his eye on one of those sharp rocks below the lighthouse.

2. Ezekiel Crane plunged to his death in 'All That Glitters,' thanks to that filthy murderer Stan Borden. But behold! He's alive and well wearing a cheshire grin on his face when Gus returns to the lighthouse.

3. Eliza Pike is said to have died. Heck, some nice fellow even made her a tombstone. Yet, she is alive and singing madly in the streets when Gus and Felicity coincidently stumble upon her in 'Return of Gus Pike.'

This tired 'come back from the dead' story cliche became so frequent that it wasn't surprising at all when news came that Gus was alive.

Stuart was a disappointment. I was expecting a devious arch rival to shake things up like Edwin Clark in 'May the Best Man Win.' His lack-luster personality contributed to a very dull story.

~

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Homecoming episode

Post by arose28 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:27 pm

I agree, Timothy. It would have been nice had the producers, if they were going to bring Eliza back from the dead and have Gus realize she is his mother, to have her be a constant in the series, rather than she just drift off into oblivion. Also, to have Stuart be better written, rather than just kind of meander around and keep at Felicity in such a way. Have some kind of finish to him being in Avonlea besides just managing the bank and then leaving when he can't marry Felicity. Then to have him tell Gus to leave and such, when Gus and Felicty were involved with each other long before Stuart came on the scene. Felicity told Stuart herself, I am in love with this man, and she also told him that she was grieving and he still kept on. :)
Love Avonlea!

5AvonleaGirls
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by 5AvonleaGirls » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Well, actually when my sisters and I watched Homecoming we didn't know there was even a 7th season!! We finshed the episode and then sat in shock for about 10 minutes wondering if this was the end. We then rushed to the computer and looked to see if there was another season and thankfully we discovered there was. We never really thought that Gus was dead but we weren't entirely sure. I personally like Stuart a lot. He is a sweet wonderful guy who I would be happy to marry but he isn't Gus. I think that it was great that he and Felicity were friends because I think it did help Felicity but I was very happy that Gus came back and Felicity married him and not Stuart. I feel pretty sorry for Stuart at the end but Felicity couldn't marry him. I think it is understandable that Stuart decided to leave. He was in love with Felicity and it would have been awful to see her all the time with someone else. Plus I think it would have been kind of awkward! Overall, I liked the idea of "killing Gus". It definitely put an interesting twist in the story!!

~5AvonleaGirls

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Homecoming

Post by arose28 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:23 pm

I like the plot twist of killing Gus, but Stuart McCrae, he is just so awkwardly written that he kind of gets on my nerves. He acts really nice to Felicity until she tellls him that she wants to go in search of Gus, to find out what actually happened and then he gets mad at Gus for being there! Maybe it would have been hard for Stuart to see Gus and Felicity together, but that is what being a mature person is about, to accept challenges gracefully. :)
Love Avonlea!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:02 am

That's all true arose about Stuart being awkwardly written. I think there is a lot of pity for him, especially since he was building their dream house.

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Homecoming

Post by arose28 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:02 pm

I think the writers of the show should have portrayed Stuart as having a love for Felicity, but also having realistic expectations and being willing to state what he felt for her. He was so passive but yet petulant. It was as if the writers could not decide whether to have Stuart chase after Felicity or be a friend to her. He was caught between the two. It is neat how he builds a house for Felicity, but he could have completed the house and given it to Felicity as a wedding present when she married Gus, as a way of saying that he understood. What I was wondering is where can one find the house plans of King Farm? I have a house that is built in 1910, and I want to renovate the kitchen to look old but have modern reproduction appliances. We have ordered a 1910 stove from Elmira Stove works and a reproduction ice box, but I am trying to find some reproduction kitchen cabinets plans, and was wondering if anyone has good pictures of the King Kitchen to help.
Love Avonlea!

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Well I think they were trying to show 2 things: 1) that you can't force yourself to love someone even someone you know is a good person who cares for you a lot and 2) If you love someone and they don't love you that isn't going to make you stop loving them. While Felicity warned Stuart that it would be a long time before she was ready to love again, Stuart couldn't just turn off his feelings, once he was all in he was all in. He tried to make himself slow down but he couldn't (he wanted to get married but Felicity said no twice, they finally get engaged and she puts off picking a date). It was doomed from the beginning and I think if Felicity hadn't found Gus she still might not have married Stuart in the end.
ImageImageImageImage

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Stuart McCrae

Post by arose28 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:38 pm

I know, Hannikan, but couldn't Stuart have been a little more romantic at least? I know that once you fall in love with someone, it takes a long time for that love to fade, and that you never forget your first love but it is as Great-Aunt Eliza says 'a first love is just that, a first'. I am glad that Felicity ended up with Gus in the end, it was fate or kismet as they say, I just wish they had kept it simple and perhaps just stayed with Gus almost drowing and leave Stuart out of it.
Love Avonlea!

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Re: Homecoming

Post by Marina » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 pm

arose28 wrote:Maybe it would have been hard for Stuart to see Gus and Felicity together, but that is what being a mature person is about, to accept challenges gracefully. :)
I learned that people are usually not mature enough to do that. :wink:

Anyway, I have nothing against Stuart, I never took him seriously...all that chasing after Felicity despite the fact that it was sooo obvious that she still loves Gus made me realize early on that he is a sort of a "loser" in the whole story. I don`t mind the age difference at all. I don`t mind him not being handsome either. But the fact that he wanted her even though she loved someone else; Now that is really pathetic. Not sexy at all :lol:

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Stuart McCrae

Post by arose28 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Exactly, that is what gets me about Stuart! He acted as though he loved Felicity, but when it came down to it, when Felicity said that she still loved Gus and that she did not know what she wanted or if she was ready to move on, he still kept pursuing her. There are some people who never learn and who keep shouting down a rabbit hole, and I think Stuart is one of them. That is one thing that kind of irritated me about Janet dealing with Felicty's love life. She said that Stuart was good and dependable and would take care of Felicity, but there was no mention of did Felicity love Stuart at all? Material goods may be all well and good, but I would rather have someone who loves me heart, soul and senses than the richest man in the world, and I could sympathize with Felicity and her struggles to choose between Stuart and Gus.
Love Avonlea!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:57 pm

We should put this in the context of the time period. There weren't a lot of opportunities for women and this was a factor in how suitors were chosen. Despite advances made (i.e. Hetty as school teacher, Felicity accepted to medical school), there were still wide-spread expectations and pressure for women to marry for class and money as most women were still largely dependent on men for their livelihood.

I was reading an old magazine from that era recently, and noticed a curious ad from Dove soap. It depicted a young woman in a field pulling petals from a flower. The ad said that a lady had only a few goals in life: to handsome grow, to find a beau, and to the bridal alter go. It added that this will happen sooner if she used Dove soap.

And this my friends, was the time period where a traditional Edwardian mother may have approved of a Stuart McRae over a Gus Pike.

Many women and their families were looking for a suitor who was well respected in the community and financially successful. (Sorry, the rugged drifter with a heart of gold usually didn't make the list). In this instance, Stuart would have been sought after. Afterall, he was a banker and financially successful. Not only that, a lady didn't have to worry about some creepy pirate guy with an eye patch peeking in her window late at night wanting to extract some revenge on her husband. Great for television drama, probably not so great otherwise.

Despite her brief support for the suffragette movement, Janet was very much a traditional Edwardian mother; and I can easily see how she would have favored Stuart as a beau for Felicity.

~

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Homecoming

Post by arose28 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:55 am

I agree, Timothy. I think that is why Janet pushed Felicity towards Stuart. She saw that Stuart had the financial capital and the werewithal to care for Felicity and to have a stable career. It was not unheard of for Edwardian mothers to select the future mates for their children and to dictate every increment in their children's lives. Many upper-class Edwardian families brokered their children's marriages. The most famous case of this was Consuelo Vanderbilt who married into the Churchill family, and Gloria Morgan who married Reginald Vanderbilt. Not surprising, these arranged marriages did not end well. I did some of the same research, Timothy. I got a Sears Catalog from 1908 and looked at some of the ads. The ones for Lydia Tinkham's Female Pills and 'Healthful' corsets are interesting.
Love Avonlea!