4.10 Felicity's Perfect Beau

Comment and grade episodes from the series.
irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

4.10 Felicity's Perfect Beau

Post by irishcolleen » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:14 am

I remember being incredibly frustrated when I first saw this episode when it aired on Disney Channel, and even now as I watch it on DVD I feel the same way. The ending is way too ambiguous for my liking. I like your assessment, Timothy, that it looks like Arthur's going to go off on somebody at the end. Ha Ha! But the way Felicity looks at him is still rather lustful, but then she turns away. And, of course, we know that that was the end of the triangle and she DID ultimately choose Gus, but why couldn't the ending have been more clear-cut?!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:19 am

That's a very good point IrishColleen about the ambiguous ending. I don't think they adequately showed why Felicity turned down Arthur in favor of Gus and the writers didn't necessarily give her a reason. One of the problems when you have two good guys in a rivalry is that you kinda feel sorry for the guy that loses. Nobody feels sorry for Edwin Clark in 'May the Best Man Wins' because he's a creep; and he was written as a creep to make you appreciate and cheer Jasper more. So after MTBMW, everyone cheers Jasper and Olivia and are thankful that no good jerk Clark is gone.

However, the ending of 'Felicity's Perfect Beau' is confusing because it doesn't follow the traditional path of rivalries. What are we supposed to think? Maybe it's just me, but I don't cheer the scene where Gus socks Arthur in the nose. Arthur bares his soul in this episode and talks about kindred spirits like he was channeling Anne Shirley. If he was a jerk, I'd say, yeah Gus, sock him in the nose! But he's written as a gentle soul and so in some ways it makes Gus look bad for assaulting him.

Then at the end, Arthur is perched atop a horse, brooding as he stalks Felicity and Gus in all their joy. He's dressed in black and possibly thinking dark thoughts, but he's not a bad guy. I can see what you mean because the end of this episode sends mixed signals.

irishcolleen

Post by irishcolleen » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:27 am

Although Arthur's a nice guy, I definitely don't think he and Felicity would have been well suited to each other. I mean, she wanted to get married and have a family and children. She wanted to do things the "traditional" way, whereas Arthur is vehemently against traditional notions. And I think I have to agree with Gus when he said something about how Arthur could afford to smile once in awhile, that he looks like an undertaker. I think that was in "Hearts and Flowers." I wonder if there was anybody who was truly rooting for Arthur (if so, speak up! I'm not judging anyone. Just curious!). He really didn't know Felicity all that well, nor he her. When Gus came to the barn and started the fight with him, Gus said "What are your intentions toward Felicity King, Arthur Pettibone?" and Arthur's response was "Well..." like he had to think about it. Of course, Felicity didn't help much by encouraging Arthur's affections. I guess what I'm saying is that I wish there had been a more clear-cut ending like "I'm sorry, Arthur, but I choose Gus" or something like that. I mean, when Sara and Felicity are walking toward the lighthouse, Felicity says "I can't hurt Gus, but I can't forget Arthur." What changes her mind in the next couple of minutes?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:49 pm

irishcolleen wrote:I mean, when Sara and Felicity are walking toward the lighthouse, Felicity says "I can't hurt Gus, but I can't forget Arthur." What changes her mind in the next couple of minutes?
Maybe she remembered that Arthur believes in undewater unicorns. That might send a lot of girls running away. :P

The writers probably couldn't think of any reasons for Felicity to pick Gus over Arthur because they were both good guys. All they can do is have Felicity mumble 'you pick the apples, they don't pick you.' Maybe if Arthur jipped Teddy Armstrong out of a nickel it would be easier to decide.

I agree that Arthur wasn't right for Felicity. We already got to know Gus and Arthur seemed like an outsider. Plus he was wierd and bitter about his father's overbearing authority. It's strange too how he sticks around for the rest of the series, presumably watching Gus and Felicity's romance develop. He occasionally offers brotherly advice but has no clear character direction.

Valancy
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Valancy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:10 pm

I actually think it was Felicity that came out the worst in that episode. I know Gus started a fight with Arthur but he had a reason to be so upset. The girl who had lied to most of Avonlea and defied her family to be with him a few episodes before was now lukewarm and making eyes at another guy (one which she barely knew!). No wonder he was hurt and confused! I don't think I would have been so faithful to Felicity (to the point of proposing) after that if I was Gus.
Felicity came across as indecisive, self-centred, flighty and unfaithful in that episode. In the episode "Otherwise Engaged" Felix comments to Gus that he doesn't know why Gus likes Felicity so much and I think that's a valid comment after this episode!
Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen Season 6 or 7 yet and I can't wait to see Felicity and Gus finally get together but I was dissapointed with Felicity in this episode.

Also, a side note, did it bother anyone else that Felicity was housecleaning for Arthur? And that he made no objection to her doing it, especially when he was supposed to be such an non-conventional thinker? He didn't mind putting aside the conventions of courting but it was ok for a girl he barely knew to clean his house (because she was a female?)
LM Montgomery fan

WhitneyLyn
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by WhitneyLyn » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:39 am

Valancy wrote: Also, a side note, did it bother anyone else that Felicity was housecleaning for Arthur? And that he made no objection to her doing it, especially when he was supposed to be such an non-conventional thinker? He didn't mind putting aside the conventions of courting but it was ok for a girl he barely knew to clean his house (because she was a female?)
Great Jehosephat, YES! Thank you for bringing that up, Valancy. That, and Felicity's overall behavior was what bugged me most about this episode.

I think this episode would have gone over better with me had the episode, "The Dinner" not been before it. So, did Felicity only want "the kiss"? Or did she genuinely care and want to be with Gus? It just makes it less believable when a few episodes later she's flinging herself at another boy. :roll: Felicity, get a grip on your hormones, girl!!

I am a big fan of Gus and Felicity, but "Felicity's Perfect Beau" almost did me in... I try to ignore her behavior in that episode. IMO, Felicity's self-centeredness was at its peak during this episode.

I too agree with whomever said that the ending was unsettling... the look Felicity gave to Arthur frolicking on his horse WAS one of "longing"... very unsettling...

So, Felicity's Perfect Beau... obviously not my favorite episode...

irishcolleen

Post by irishcolleen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:27 am

Yep! Although I'm not a huge Arthur fan, I think Felicity behaved the worst of the three of them in that episode. She enjoyed both of their attention focused on her a bit too much. I agree that this episode was kind of confusing after seeing "The Dinner." I don't think Felicity's feelings for Gus are made clear enough, truthfully, until "Otherwise Engaged" when she says "I love you" to him. That is such a poignant moment for me because his leaving finally forced her to own up to her feelings and stop playing games. If only she had realised more before he left, then they could've been together during a greater portion of seasons 6 and 7!!!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:52 pm

Valancy wrote:Felicity came across as indecisive, self-centred, flighty and unfaithful in that episode. In the episode "Otherwise Engaged" Felix comments to Gus that he doesn't know why Gus likes Felicity so much and I think that's a valid comment after this episode!
I had always thought that Felicity was out of character in this episode. Of course, it doesn't help that 'The Dinner,' 'Hearts and Flowers,' and 'Felicity's Perfect Beau' were written by different writers.
Valancy wrote:Also, a side note, did it bother anyone else that Felicity was housecleaning for Arthur? And that he made no objection to her doing it, especially when he was supposed to be such an non-conventional thinker? He didn't mind putting aside the conventions of courting but it was ok for a girl he barely knew to clean his house (because she was a female?)
I'm surprised that Felicity wasn't disturbed by Arthur's wierdness. Once he started saying that he believed in underwater unicorns, I was saying, 'Felicity, get out of the house, quick! There's something wrong with this guy!'

Valancy
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Valancy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:38 pm

Timothy wrote: I'm surprised that Felicity wasn't disturbed by Arthur's wierdness. Once he started saying that he believed in underwater unicorns, I was saying, 'Felicity, get out of the house, quick! There's something wrong with this guy!'
I agree! :D I think having an imagination is a great thing (which is probably why I loved Anne so much) but I think that comment was out of place coming from Arthur. He seemed such a ... stuffy person, not a free spirit like Anne, so the underwater unicorn comment just came across as weird definitely! When Anne said something fanciful I was transported into another world where anything was possible. When Arthur started talking about underwater unicorns I was like “What the …?” :?
LM Montgomery fan

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:07 am

Valancy wrote:
I agree! :D I think having an imagination is a great thing (which is probably why I loved Anne so much) but I think that comment was out of place coming from Arthur. He seemed such a ... stuffy person, not a free spirit like Anne, so the underwater unicorn comment just came across as weird definitely!
Yes, exactly! And at least Anne knew that it was her imagination. Arthur actually believed these things exist and I had a feeling he wanted to be right there with his underwater unicorns. I mean, who does this guy think he is, Aquaman?

It seemed like there was a need to Anne Shirley-ize everyone. That is, by Shirley-ize (that's not a real word, I know), I mean the producers/writers wanted to transform the most stiffest practical characters into poetic star-crossed dreamers overnight. They Shirley-ized Hetty when she began writing romantic short fiction beyond her experience and in contrast to her disdain for them; they Shirley-ized Rachel Lynde when she began waxing poetic about the splendor of believing a mermaid was real in 'Davey and the Mermaid (which was odd because that mermaid was part of a scam to rip off the town);' and of course, they Shirley-ized Arthur in this episode when he starts talking about kindred spirits.

Yeah, I can see the effects of having guest writers on the show. I suppose it's like football where you have a third string quarterback come in the game.

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:04 pm

Hetty might have jumped the shark, but it once one got passe the episode where she did so, it seemed believable because all the romance and fiction writing was kept an important element to her character (and, plus, eventually her character semi-returns to be the bossy, always slightly narrow-minded, in everbody's business Hetty).

Rachel's isn't convincing. (No one is ever going to convince me she helped put on the town play for over 20 years. Or that she believes Davey should believe in mermaids. Truly some bad writing on Rachel in those episodes.)

And, very unconvincing, is Arthur's belief in underwater unicorns. I always believed he just told Felicity that to impress her. He comes across as the most unimaginative, most Puritanical character ever. Gus was competition, so he transformed himself from believer in absolute tradition to the modern newfangled guy to lure Felicity from Gus and his true colors come out when we see him stalking Felicity and Gus on the shore ...a la The Phantom...when he realizes he has lost the battle.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:35 am

Wild Roses wrote:And, very unconvincing, is Arthur's belief in underwater unicorns. I always believed he just told Felicity that to impress her. He comes across as the most unimaginative, most Puritanical character ever. Gus was competition, so he transformed himself from believer in absolute tradition to the modern newfangled guy to lure Felicity from Gus and his true colors come out when we see him stalking Felicity and Gus on the shore ...a la The Phantom...when he realizes he has lost the battle.
Very true. I believe Arthur's transformation, as you accurately described it, was confusing to the viewer. One moment he's claiming to be a gentle kindred spirit and the next he's a moody stalker. How are we supposed to perceive Arthur at the end of the episode? If he were truly Felicity's kindred spirit, wouldn't he want her to be happy, instead of stalking her with a somber expression on his face because she picked Gus? Arthur's actions at the end of the episode make everything he said earlier about being a kindred spirit very contrived and it does appear that his "true colors" started showing. The writers probably could have clarified all of this better. Instead, they leave it ambiguous, allowing Arthur to play the good guy role later when he offers kindredly advice to Sara in 'Comings and Goings.'

katie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by katie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:46 pm

So I totally should've read the whole topic before replying, but I couldn't help myself since I relate to Felicity the most and I can see where she's coming from.

Yes, Felicity is acting silly, but if you were that age and at that year had a guy come out and express his feelings for you (a first), and on the heels of that have another guy come into the picture, a girl can get confused. Sixteen isn't the best year of maturity for a girl. She genuinely cares for Gus, but Arthur was sorta like her "ideal"--until she realized that she wanted things that he didn't. I thought the ending was really clear-cut. She told him that Gus wanted to court her the way he should. She wanted a family and children. Their roads just weren't together. Do I believe that that was her only reason for dumping Arthur? No...she realized that Gus really does care (and it isn't some macho thing) and that she cared about him and wanted to share that connection with him. She would be cruel to tell Arthur that she liked Gus more, so she didn't. Having two guys be totally infactuated with you can be so confusing at that age. Plus, she might've still be a little miffed at Gus over the whole Suzette (<--my other fav) thing.

Oh yeah, and her looking at Arthur: I think it was just her way of telling him 'bye'.

Maybe I'm saying this because I try to analyze things (my major IS psychology). Maybe it's because I love this episode. I don't know. But this was my take on this episode.
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:56 am

Arthur may need your help in the psychology department, Katie. He looked completely fixated/obsessed at the end of the episode on Felicity and was about to snap. And his firm belief in imaginary sea creatures didn't help his case either.

At least the Loch Ness monster is described as something that can survive in the water. But an underwater unicorn? Come on Arthur.

irishcolleen

Post by irishcolleen » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:40 am

I guess, for me, the WAY she looks at Arthur at the end is most troubling. To me, that look doesn't seem to simply say "Bye." It's always seemed to me more like a sort of "I must have you now" look. But the rest of your assessment does make a lot of sense.