4.10 Felicity's Perfect Beau

Comment and grade episodes from the series.
katie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by katie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:39 am

He might've been too busy falling for Sara or plotting ways to get close to Hetty. :lol:
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:52 am

katie wrote:He might've been too busy falling for Sara or plotting ways to get close to Hetty. :lol:
:D Sara, yes. I don't want to think too much about the latter, other than it just seems wrong for Athur to hit on his father's 'co-collaborator.' (cough*yeahright*cough)

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:54 am

I thought the ending was clear enough... as for Felicity's confusion, you must remember the class differences as well. A King would have been expected to marry well and "set [their] sights much higher than a dirt covered boy in a lighthouse" as Felicity put it.

I always thought it was odd that Alec never put up more of a fight over the class issue... I mean it would be tantamount to marrying the hired boy (as she does in the books). Well, actually, Gus was a hired boy in HKWD, but I digress.

So, her hormones are raging for Gus who had just been a complete jerk with Suzette, despite the fact that Felicity had lied to half of Avonlea just to be with him... maybe she was starting to wonder if the sailor stereotype was true?

Then along comes someone perfectly respectible with a good profession (vets being especially needed during the horse and buggy days) who could care for her in the manner to which she had grown accustomed, was well spoken, well mannered, and well educated and spouted rather romantic notions. It could be all head turning, I suppose.

In the end, to choose Gus, meant to go against all societal norms. Perhaps she wasn't sure she was willing to commit to that for someone who was not 100% committed to her. It would not have been a sacrifice for Gus to marry Felicity... it would have been an improvement. Vanity Fair comes to mind.

Avonlea Fan
Planted Magic Seeds

Apples and Beaus

Post by Avonlea Fan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:25 pm

I've watched this episode a dozen times, but I'm still left with the same question:

When Felicity tells Sarah, "You can't compare apples to men," Sarah replies, "You're right. For one thing, it's you that picks the apples--not the other way around." Felicity later repeats the line when Gus proposes to her.

In Felicity's case, SHE was in a position to pick either Gus or Arthur. They both liked her. So wouldn't that mean she could compare apples and men, since Felicity was the one who got to choose in both cases?

Maybe I'm making this too difficult. But it bothers me that I can't figure something out concerning one of my favorite shows. :?

Thanks for your help!

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:49 pm

Oh, hello there! I can't really answer your question, but I saw you are a newcomer and I thought I would welcome you! We love new members. :)

oldfashionedgirl

Post by oldfashionedgirl » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:37 pm

Ummmm... Just thought I would mention that the "unicorn" Arthur speaks of is real. It's a whale called the Narwhal (Sp?) :roll:

Felicity made me so mad in this episode! At times, I don't know what Gus saw in her!
~ "Oh, Look at that! She doin' a play!" ~ Gus Pike

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:05 pm

oldfashionedgirl wrote:Ummmm... Just thought I would mention that the "unicorn" Arthur speaks of is real. It's a whale called the Narwhal (Sp?) :roll:

Felicity made me so mad in this episode! At times, I don't know what Gus saw in her!
Thanks for the info oldfashionedgirl. :) I'll have to go back and take a closer look at the picture Arthur had.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Re: Apples and Beaus

Post by Gwendolene » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:30 am

Avonlea Fan wrote:I've watched this episode a dozen times, but I'm still left with the same question:

When Felicity tells Sarah, "You can't compare apples to men," Sarah replies, "You're right. For one thing, it's you that picks the apples--not the other way around." Felicity later repeats the line when Gus proposes to her.

In Felicity's case, SHE was in a position to pick either Gus or Arthur. They both liked her. So wouldn't that mean she could compare apples and men, since Felicity was the one who got to choose in both cases?

Maybe I'm making this too difficult. But it bothers me that I can't figure something out concerning one of my favorite shows. :?

Thanks for your help!
I think it all comes down to being fought over. The boys were duking it out and being petty... it always struck me that she was rather objectified in Hearts and Flowers. IMO, Sara was reminding her that she had a choice rather than just being "anyway way the wind blows".
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:13 am

Gwendolene wrote:I thought the ending was clear enough... as for Felicity's confusion, you must remember the class differences as well. A King would have been expected to marry well and "set [their] sights much higher than a dirt covered boy in a lighthouse" as Felicity put it.

I always thought it was odd that Alec never put up more of a fight over the class issue... I mean it would be tantamount to marrying the hired boy (as she does in the books). Well, actually, Gus was a hired boy in HKWD, but I digress.

So, her hormones are raging for Gus who had just been a complete jerk with Suzette, despite the fact that Felicity had lied to half of Avonlea just to be with him... maybe she was starting to wonder if the sailor stereotype was true?

Then along comes someone perfectly respectible with a good profession (vets being especially needed during the horse and buggy days) who could care for her in the manner to which she had grown accustomed, was well spoken, well mannered, and well educated and spouted rather romantic notions. It could be all head turning, I suppose.

In the end, to choose Gus, meant to go against all societal norms. Perhaps she wasn't sure she was willing to commit to that for someone who was not 100% committed to her. It would not have been a sacrifice for Gus to marry Felicity... it would have been an improvement. Vanity Fair comes to mind.
You bring up some very good points about social class and the lengths to which Felicity went to show her interest in Gus. Which actually would have been considered quite shameful for a girl to do at this time. If it hadn't been for Gus I think Hetty would have condemned her inviting a boy into the house unattended. And yes, Gus's being a sailor as well as his family's checkered history made him quite suspect with the townsfolk in season 2. We are to believe the town thought he'd proved himself by season 4 to be an upstanding gentleman. But in reality I don't think they would have been won over that quickly or permanently.

I don't think Gus was a jerk about Suzette though. He was a bit possessive in FPB I thought. I was glad Felicity was pissed off when he ordered her around a little. I also understood that he was being possessive because he was worried he was losing her. That was all realistic. He and Felicity were both young so it is not surprising they would both have their heads turned by someone else. I actually think Gus's head was a bit turned for Charlotte Ames in the Return of Gus Pike before Felicity showed up in Halifax. Anyway, I do understand Felicity's confusion. She was flattered (and it went to her head a bit) to have 2 boys interested in her. She and Gus had been effectively going steady for only a short time but their feelings went back for a few years. They were bound to have those feelings tested by new, exciting people (Arthur because he was more worldly, intellectual and successful, Suzette because she was a very approachable, exotic foreigner). Arthur and Gus challenged Felicity in different ways and they both influenced her. I am glad she chose Gus though.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:01 pm

According to an interview from Lally Cadeau, it's hinted that Janet was supposed to question Gus's social status in regard to courting Felicity. Unfortunately, the overly-precautious Disney censors prevented this key dramatic interaction from occuring; and in Disney style, stripped away a chance to give this storyline historical perspective.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:45 pm

That's interesting. Darn Disney! That would have been a very provocative story line. I assume this would have been in season 4. Maybe it could have replaced the Disappearance! (I hate that episode) I wonder if that's why Janet was the one pushing so hard for Stuart later in the series. I actually wouldn't imagine it would have been Janet that would have had problems with Gus's social class. I would think the gossips like Clara Potts would have given Janet a bad time about Felicity because of Gus's social status and family past. Clara esp since the Kings were portrayed as being so much better off financially than the Potts in A Mother's Love. Maybe if she'd been pushed too much by the gossips, Janet might have given Felicity a bad time. Maybe Hetty could have stepped in to mediate and bring things into perspective since she was so fond of Gus.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:18 am

I can see that happening. I find it funny that it was intended for Janet to be the one to question Gus's social status in courting Felicity, because it was based on the same principles by which her father judged potential suitors.

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sat May 23, 2009 9:30 am

I must say that is a very interesting angle! Who´s going to write that fanfic?

I love to see everyone´s opinions on one of my absolute favourite episodes, and intriguing that they can be so different!

One thing I picked up from the ep however has not been mentioned. I agree that it´s in the first place Felicity´s own vanity/indecisiveness/whatever you want to call it that causes the problems, and still, that it wouldn´t be extraordinary for her to react in such a way when two eligible suitors are courting her.

But personally, I think Arthur was overstepping the bounds big time in always assuming that he and Felicity thought alike! He never even asked for her opinion, he just assumed that she agrees with him on everything!
Sorry, but if I were Felicity, I would have run away from him as fast as I could, just because of that...

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sun May 24, 2009 6:44 am

After reading all those interesting comments, I decided to watch this ep again last night, and see what I could analyze from it ;-)

Let me start by saying that I thought none of the three to be acting strange. I find their behaviour towards each other totally plausible - which however is not the same as good.

To start with Arthur: he sure knows that Felicity and Gus are sort of dating, but he´s interested in her, too. And Felicity does not tell him to back off because she is being courted by Gus; no, instead she pretty much encourages his attentions! What else should Arthur pick up than Felicity welcoming his courtship and have him challenging her relationship with Gus?
Still, if he´s got any brains, he should realize that his actions weren´t likely to fill Gus with joy... The two of them fought about her before, and with the recent developments, I wonder if he could expect anything but a renewed fight when Gus showed up in the barn and demanded to know what his intentions toward Felicity were. He could hardly expect the guy to say: "You can have her, with my blessing", could he?

At this stage, I think Felicity´s head is a bit turned by that article about how to find your perfect beau. And no matter how much we like Gus Pike, I don´t think we can turn a blind eye to the fact that there are some flaws in his perfect beau-status.
Earlier in the series, Felicity was very adamant about bettering herself. And as things are now, that´s not very likely to achieve if she´d marry Gus: a waiter/canneryworker/sailor, who lives in a cramped lighthouse, and owns nothing but a pair of boots (and a ruby ring). Surely a perfect beau could be better than that! No matter how much she liked and felt for Gus...
And then there´s Arthur. A vet to be, an intellectual man of the world, a romantic, who kisses her when she´s crying, who saved Digger´s life, as well as those piglets´... I haven´t read that article she kept going on about, but I can imagine those were all highly appraised qualities for a perfect beau. Especially when you´re sixteen. So I can´t blame her for being interested in Arthur as well - if only to explore that perfect beau idea.
Still, when Gus leaves her after their fight at the Pettibone place, Felicity is in tears because she fears he will never speak to her again. I can´t see her crying over Arthur though at that time, had the roles been reversed...

As for Gus: as he admits later on in the ep, "he would only really have nothing if he lost [i]her[/i]".
It´s clear from the very arrival of Gus Pike that he longs to belong somewhere. Preferably with the girl he fell in love with pretty much at first sight: Felicity. Now that they´re officially courting since a few eps back, Gus finally has the prospect of his lifedream coming true in the near future: he´s going to belong somewhere, to someone. And then Arthur shows up, and threatens that one and only dream by courting "his" Felicity as well! No wonder he gets possessive!
Personally I think Gus is trying to eliminate all possibilities of his dream being threatened at the end of the ep when he´s asking Felicity to marry him. But I think he forgot there that he´s quite a bit older than Felicity (who hasn´t even finished school yet!), as well as more mature - thanks to the circumstances in which he grew up. [i]He[/i] may be ready for married life and starting a family, but she sure isn´t. So yes, I loved the scene in the end when she asks him to ask her again in two years time. It was the wisest thing she could do for her own good - and with that, for both of them.

Felicity is - I think - simply exploring the perfect boyfriend-idea. And enjoying the experience of having two men courting her. Add that to the fact that Gus didn´t exactly behave as a perfect beau should have in the recent episode with Suzette, I can imagine her looking elsewhere - partly to see if she can do better than having a mere labourer for a beau, and partly to take sweet revenge for his own "unfaithfullness".

With the comments on that in mind, I watched particularly when she told Arthur she didn´t want him to continue courting. I think she said it pretty clearly, but Arthur seemed so engrossed in his own line of thinking about them being kindred souls and all that, that he simply didn´t listen to what she said. And when - after Felicity telling him in plain words that she didn´t want things to go any further between them - he continues on his own topic and starts kissing her hands... she pulls away and runs back to the house.
Er... sorry Arthur, but next time I think you should listen to what your perfect belle says when you come to ask for her permission to court her...

One odd thing I found in the ep. After the fight in the barn (anyone noticed that hook Arthur was using to weigh the piglets was gone as soon as they started fighting? ;-))) I´d expect that Gus stating his love for her would have had more impact on Felicity. He was very sincere there, and at the moment itself, Felicity really seemed affected by his declaration. Yet the next scene is the one with the apple-pies and she´s going on about the fortune of having two suitors again...

Okay, that were my two cents!

Margherita
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun May 24, 2009 11:35 pm

Margherita wrote:Sorry, but if I were Felicity, I would have run away from him as fast as I could, just because of that...
And Arthur would follow of course... on horseback with black hat and attire, darkly brooding.