Mary Miles Minter and an unsolved murder

A midway exposition of mysteries, curiosities and folklore
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Mary Miles Minter and an unsolved murder

Post by Timothy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:22 am

Mary Miles Minter played Anne Shirley in the 1919 version of Anne of Green Gables. The following article explains how a murder ruined her career.

Slaying killed actress’s career
sgvtribune.com By Ruby Gonzales Staff Writer
GLENDORA - Mary Miles Minter, with her blonde curls and blue eyes, was a popular actress during Hollywood's silent era... In the mid-1920s, Minter's career ended in notoriety with the scandal over the 1922 killing of director William Desmond Taylor. Newspapers reported that love letters and a nightgown were found at Taylor's house. Minter said she wasn't at his home that night and denied the nightgown was hers. Later accounts would question the existence of the sleepwear. Minter admitted to writing letters to Taylor and professed to loving the much older man. She was 19 and Taylor was 49 when he was killed. The slaying remains unsolved, and much of the physical evidence from the case has disappeared. Minter played the innocent-girl roles and was hired by Paramount Studios when Mary Pickford left the studio. Pickford supposedly recommended her. Taylor directed Minter in 1919's "Anne of Green Gables," considered to be one of her better films... But her popularity ended when a bullet shattered both her image and career.

On Feb. 1, 1922, Taylor was in his Alvarado Street bungalow in Los Angeles when he was shot in the back. A neighbor heard the sound and saw a figure standing outside Taylor's door. Taylor's valet discovered the body on the floor the next morning. Police claim people were going in and out of the house. A man who said he was a doctor examined the body and said Taylor died of a heart attack. Studio employees reportedly took things from the bungalow. A Paramount employee was said to have taken letters, and expressed doubt about the cause of death as a heart attack. When Taylor's body was turned over, a pool of blood was found underneath. "So much outrage at the Hollywood industry. People were clamoring at that point," Slide said. "Hollywood didn't want to risk offending these women's groups. The studios were very nervous." Taylor's slaying and the resulting scandal ruined reputations, including Minter's...

The slaying remains unsolved, and much of the physical evidence from the case has disappeared... Police claim people were going in and out of the house. A man who said he was a doctor examined the body and said Taylor died of a heart attack. Studio employees reportedly took things from the bungalow.

This sounds like a total Hollywood cover up. I wonder who they were protecting?

Oldbats
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Oldbats » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:54 pm

I can't believe that the neighbor heard a gunshot and saw a figure standing outside the front door of his house, and didn't bother to notify the authorities??? Wow.

All those intrigues of Hollywod's silent era really fascinates me. I love reading about the early days of Hollywood!

What do you think really happened?
"I honor value and I value honor" --Gus Pike

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:50 am

I guess the neighbors didn't want to get involved. Talk about a crummy neighborhood watch.

As far as what really happened, I'm afraid we may never know Old Bats. The police botched this case and allowed executives from the film industry to remove evidence and contaminate the crime scene.

I first thought Edward Sands was a suspect while reading Taylor's Wikipedia entry. Sands was Turner's valet who burglarized his home and forged his checks. However, when Taylor was found dead, he had a diamond ring on his hand and cash in his pocket. Obviously, this wasn't a burglary and Sands doesn't have a known motive for killing Taylor. I guess it's important to find out why he was killed. Who had a motive?

Where are the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew when you need them?

Oldbats
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Oldbats » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:34 pm

Timothy wrote:Where are the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew when you need them?
Or the King family! I can remember a number of episodes in which Sara Stanley, Felcity, and Felix played the role of detective!
"I honor value and I value honor" --Gus Pike