What happen to Sullivan Anne of Green Gables Forum?

Stop in and talk about anything!
Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm

I was looking today for the Sullivan Anne of Green Gables Forum and I could no longer find it. What happen to it? Did Sullivan Entertainment close it down? If so when did this happen? Where did the former members go?

Timothy, do you know? I figure you might know as you keep up with many Road to Avonlea (RTA) and Anne of Green Gable things.
It's been years since I've been on here...It's good to see it still around. I remember the Lateran days when you had rate this RTA episode. Is that feature still around?

Somehow I keep coming back :D ...Road to Avonlea is still one my favorite shows...

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: What happen to Sullivan Anne of Green Gables Forum?

Post by Timothy » Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 am

Hi Miss Lewis, welcome back, what a pleasant surprise! :D

A few years ago, the Sullivan Entertainment forums went down with a message that they were trying to restore an old database. Basically, they were unable to keep up with the software updates and sustain the forum. This is unfortunate because there were a few chats on the forum with Sullivan and Mag Ruffman that were particularly insightful. I'm not certain where the members of that forum went to.

Thanks for your comments about the episode guides. The good news is that they are still around with the rating system, a place to add comments, and notes that are added occasionally. I've also moved this forum to a new location here and it's called The Avonlea Boards now. The website also has a blog where I can share some long forgotten revelations about all things Avonlea.

It's great to hear from you!

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks for the information, Timothy. That is a shame that the old database couldn't keep up. I had forgotten about the the cast member chats on there. I remember that the Daniel was played by twins and they showed up on the forum for guest star chats. It is a shame that those threads are lost. I really enjoyed the Amazing Race competition between all the RTA episodes on that forum. Each week one Episode was kicked off the thread. I Also enjoyed guess who said what quote thread.

There was one time that members of the Sullivan Anne of Green Gables Forum created a backup forum. It was for the just in case the forum went down. If I recalled the Anne Forum went down for a few weeks once when it was hacked into. I'm not sure if that backup forum still exists. My hunch is that it is gone long ago too.

I'll take a look at at episodes guide again and look at the blog. I don't think I've seen your Avonlea Blog before.

Thanks for the welcome back... I'll look around. Maybe post a few thoughts. I always liked how this forum threads conversations went into depth about RTA series.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu May 23, 2019 3:36 am

Was this the backup forum here? It's called 'Avonlea MB' Miss Lewis?

Avonlea MB

Some of the members said that it was set up when the Sullivan boards (At the time, Anne3) was hacked or would periodically go down.

I forgot about the guest chat from the twins who played Daniel. At some point we should try to get that database file to preserve those chats, although I'm not sure they would provide it.

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Yes, that was the backup forum...wow it still around.
Timothy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:36 am
I forgot about the guest chat from the twins who played Daniel. At some point we should try to get that database file to preserve those chats, although I'm not sure they would provide it.
Timothy, that is is a great idea! you should ask. Perhaps the Sullivan Website webmaster would be willing to share the chats from Mag Ruffman and Daniel twins. Keep the request short and simple and ask nicely. Maybe they be willing to share. If they do share, please post here or on your blog the chats.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat May 25, 2019 12:40 pm

I'm surprised the message board is still around too, Miss Lewis. Quite a few of the old Avonlea related forums and websites have disappeared because the services got discontinued.

I can definitely ask for the database file. I'll keep you posted if I get a response.

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 am

Yes, keep us posted on database file request. Perhaps they be willing to give out text file of a few of the guest thread chats.

I, too, noticed that many of the Avonlea Forums are gone too. Time does change things. They say that once on the internet, it stays forever. Guess not in some things. Somethings do change or disappear...

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Timothy, long time ago, in Galaxy far away...No Wait...Not that far away (since it resides on this forum), you said this
Timothy wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:40 pm
A few years back, Katie had a website called 'Not Just Another Avonlea Site' that featured some funny stuff on Stuart, including captions for a picture of Stuart next to a horse...While the site is no longer active, you may be able to see Katie's Stuart webpage archived here. If it doesn't load, you can click on the 'impatient?' link.
and link was to waybackmachine.org. (Stuart Thread Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 am). Could it be possible that old Anne3 Forum is archive there? Thus old guest thread chats could be recovered and re-posted here.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Lol Miss Lewis. This was a good idea. Archive.org keeps limited cached pages. It looks like for the Anne3 Forum they kept the top page results with the titles. Unfortunately, the forum threads/content doesn't appear to be saved.

http://web.archive.org/web/200911291723 ... .com/board

Serge
Pat's Meow

Post by Serge » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:15 am

Miss Lewis wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 pm
That is a shame that the old database couldn't keep up.
Miss Lewis, some stuff available in Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/forums.sullivanmovies.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/*/sullivanmovies.com/forums/

P.S.
web.archive.org/web/*/anneofgreengables.com/forum/
There is a strangeness in simple things.

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks, Serge, for posting these links. It looks like archive.org saved the main board and thread topics. However, when I try to open up an individual thread it fails to open. Is that what happens when you try?

Timothy, did you have any luck at accessing the cast member chat threads from archive.org?

I remember many people telling me, once on the internet it is always on the internet--forever! The point was to think about things before you put it online.

I was reading an article( http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019040 ... y-internet) that says not everything on the internet is forever. They gave examples, from the million dollar page and how many the compnaies who bought space on the page no longer exists on the internet. It makes me wonder, in 50 years, will Facebook, Instagram, Twitter still be around? And if not, where does the data go when it "disappears"?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound so doom-day about the internet disappearing talk. It won't. It is just very dynamic and always in an influx. Always changing...almost like a living organism.

my 2 cents of wisdom is: if it matters to you and you want to save something that is online, keep a copy on a local machine. Which is an ironic statement in this era of "send everything to the cloud" motto.

Serge
Pat's Meow

Post by Serge » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:08 am

Miss Lewis wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:36 pm
Thanks, Serge, for posting these links. It looks like archive.org saved the main board and thread topics. However, when I try to open up an individual thread it fails to open. Is that what happens when you try?
Miss Lewis, I also cannot open individual threads, it is pity.
Miss Lewis wrote:
my 2 cents of wisdom is: if it matters to you and you want to save something that is online, keep a copy on a local machine. Which is an ironic statement in this era of "send everything to the cloud" motto.
Yes, and the more valuable some thing the more local copies in it should to be stored. It can be different harddisks, different flashcards, different CDs or DVDs, etc.

And we can manually store online things in internet archives like Wayback Machine and Archive Today.

P.S. This forum thread stored: in Wayback Machine and in Archive Today.
There is a strangeness in simple things.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Serge wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:08 am
P.S. This forum thread stored: in Wayback Machine and in Archive Today.
Thanks Serge! After all this time, I never realized you could save pages in the Way Back Machine. That's good to know. The Sullivan threads and many other resources are gone, but Serge you have immortalized this thread forever! :)
Miss Lewis wrote:
Theoretically, those Anne 3 forum posts were transmitted electronically and could be traveling out into the far reaches of space right now. One day they might be discovered by an alien race that might ponder, "Why does everyone say this Stuart McRae guy is a jerk?" and "why is this species so concerned about who's the cutest cast member?" :)

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:59 pm

One day they might be discovered by an alien race that might ponder, "Why does everyone say this Stuart McRae guy is a jerk?" and "why is this species so concerned about who's the cutest cast member?"
LOL
What great introduction to Human race :wink:

HistoryMiner
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by HistoryMiner » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:45 pm

Miss Lewis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm
I was looking today for the Sullivan Anne of Green Gables Forum and I could no longer find it. What happen to it? Did Sullivan Entertainment close it down? If so when did this happen? Where did the former members go?
Timothy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 am
A few years ago, the Sullivan Entertainment forums went down with a message that they were trying to restore an old database. Basically, they were unable to keep up with the software updates and sustain the forum.
I kept waiting for Sullivan Entertainment to bring the forums back for years. I'm still sad that that never happened. I've sent emails asking for even an archived board that we could look at. I think many of us devoted hours to writing our responses to every episode of "Road to Avonlea" and "Wind at My Back", and there were so many in-depth discussions that I would love to revisit. When the forum closed, many of the forum friends no longer had a way to communicate. Newer social media like Facebook just isn't structurally set up to allow longer and deeper discussions. :(