Virtual Avonlea

Comments? Criticism? Tell me what you think about the website.
Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Virtual Avonlea

Post by Gwendolene » Fri May 12, 2006 9:17 pm

What's going on with Virtual Avonlea? Will it be back?? It was really fun!
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: Virtual Avonlea

Post by Timothy » Wed May 31, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi Gwendolene, thanks for asking! I have been upgrading Virtual Avonlea to flash to make it faster and add new features that wasn't possible before. The yellow arrows are still there, but you can also move around with the arrow keys on the keypad. The game can now be downloaded all at once (instead of each page as you go in the html/javascript version).

It might take longer to download, depending on connection speed, but once it's downloaded you can move around the town pretty quickly. In fact, if you hold the forward arrow key down, you can go from the village to the lighthouse like you were shot out of a cannon. :lol:

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:11 am

So when will it be back? I know this thread is old, but that's my whole point! The last post was made in May of 2006, and it isn't back. Timothy, do you have a guess on when it will be ready? :)

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:21 am

I should have a version up by the end of the week.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:48 am

Whoa! Awesome-thanks a bunch! I am so excited!!!! :lol:

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:28 am

Here's phase one of Virtual Avonlea:

http://www.avonleaguide.com/media/va/va.html

Remember that it might take some computers longer to download so please be patient. It's about 1.7+ megabytes.

For those that haven't seen Virtual Avonlea before, it's a place where you can navigate through the town of Avonlea using yellow arrow directional keys or, in this instance, the directional keys on your keyboard. You can also click on the map icon to find out where you are. It's navigation is similiar to games like Nancy Drew, Myst and other Adventure Games.

It started out in HTML where each move opened a new webpage. Here it's recreated in Flash so (once it's loaded), movement is much quicker. Phase one is the recreation of the village. I've gone through and retouched and recreated a lot of the pictures (check out the Pettibone/Ray house). Phase two will be more interactive with characters, stories, etc., and that's in development.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:33 am

That is so neat! I was so excited. :) What do you mean "phase one"? There will be more phases? That would be so neat!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:26 am

Thanks AvonLea. Did it load okay?

I have plans for a Phase two. It will include interacting with the villagers and being involved in a story line, where you would be able to change the outcome of events in avonlea. Similiar to an rpg. This was explored a bit with the first Virtual Avonlea where you got to solve a puzzle and shove a pie in Felicity's face. That was based around 1903-1904. This time it's going to be based after 'So Dear to My Heart.'

You will be able to choose gender, name and an avatar. It's still in the early stages of development, but hopefully it will be fun.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:43 am

Oh, it loaded great! Took about 7 seconds. Great job!
Wow, phase 2 sounds nifty! I can't wait. I'm sure it will be really fun. :) That sounds neat-shoving a pie in Felicity's face. Let us know when you are almost done. Now I am so excited!!! :lol:

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:51 am

I just did VA today again. :) I really like it still! It feels so neat to be able to see the places of Avonlea so well! I would have loved to try the old one with the characters.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:44 pm

AvonLea, thank you so much again for your great comments. I'm glad that you appreciate it. The images are so much more clearer in the new version and the navigation is so much better than the old version. I'm glad to hear that it loaded so fast. :)

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Thu May 17, 2007 3:43 am

Timothy wrote:Thanks AvonLea. Did it load okay?

I have plans for a Phase two. It will include interacting with the villagers and being involved in a story line, where you would be able to change the outcome of events in avonlea. Similiar to an rpg. This was explored a bit with the first Virtual Avonlea where you got to solve a puzzle and shove a pie in Felicity's face. That was based around 1903-1904. This time it's going to be based after 'So Dear to My Heart.'

You will be able to choose gender, name and an avatar. It's still in the early stages of development, but hopefully it will be fun.
That sounds wonderful, although, when I loaded it with AOL and clicked on "Start" nothing happened. Same with "Map".

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun May 27, 2007 7:09 am

Gwendolene, thanks for letting me know about loading with AOL. Are you able to open internet explorer after logging on and try selecting start?

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Mon May 28, 2007 11:27 pm

I don't have Internet Explorer installed but I do have Netscape, which you can set to display like Firefox or IE.

I tried it first as Firefox, and it loaded great until I tried to enter the buildings. (I tried Rose Cottage, Peg Bowen's, The Lighthouse and the "future Felix' Tea Room"?) It just sent me back to the beginning.

When I tried it under the Internet Explorer setting it did the exact same thing it did when I used AOL...

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 am

Gwendolene, the buildings aren't supposed to be accessed yet. That is a mistake on my part for not removing that function from those sites, being that I'm working on two separate projects- the current virtual tour and then an rpg style version. Thanks for pointing that out though and good eye spotting Felix's future tea room. :)