Rated Episode Surprises

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Rated Episode Surprises

Post by Timothy » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:20 pm

I wanted to thank everyone who has rated the episodes:

You can view the top ten rated episodes, worst episodes, and view the episodes rated in their season. So far, there have been a few surprises:

'Thursdays Child' was in the top ten (As of this date it's ranked #6 in the entire series!) I thought is was a good episode, but I didn't expect that.

Another surprise is 'Home Movie,' ranked at #14. I really thought it would be in the top ten.

Interestingly, there is not one season six episode in the top ten! Lonely Hearts is the top season six episode at #12.

Did anyone else notice anything that surprised them? Is one of your favorite episodes not in the top ten?
Last edited by Timothy on Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:19 pm

I'm a little surprised to see "Ahh Sweet Mystery of Life" so low on the poll. For me, it was one of the few highlights of the last season, and if it didn't make my top ten, it would be in my top twenty. For much of the 7th season, KS credited changing times as a primary reason to end the series, and I thought the writers captured that mood very effectively here. And how in the world is part 2 of "But When She Was Bad" rated higher than part 1? That completely baffles me!

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:39 pm

Personally, I prefered "But When She Was Bad..." part two to part one. IMO, it was more suspenseful; it held my attention a bit more overall.

I'm very surprised "Home Movie" is so low. On my personal top ten list, it's at #2.

"Sweet Mystery..." isn't a favourite of mine. I thought it was a bit "meh".

"Thursday's Child" is a good episode. It's in my personal top 25 (#23); but I didn't think it'd make the top ten.

"Lonely Hearts" is my #10. :)

Heck, I'll just list my personal top ten...

1) Proof of the Pudding
2) Home Movie
3) Friends and Relations
4) Return to Me
5) Hearts and Flowers
6) How Kissing Was Discovered
7) Felicity's Perfect Beau
8) Otherwise Engaged
9) The Dinner/Felicity's Grand Design
10) Lonely Hearts
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:40 pm

Maybe 'Ah... Sweet Mystery of Life' is a victim of the Davey effect, where most episodes are rated down if he is in them. 'Corsets and Secrets' may be lower on the list as a result of Davey's appearance as well, which is unfortunate, considering the great performances by Colleen Dewhurst and Patricia Hamilton.

Davey is currently in 4 of the worst top ten episodes and two of them have his name in the title: 1. From Away, 2. Davey and the Mermaid, 8. The Trouble with Davey, and 10. Great Expectations. Of course, much of this could be blamed on bad writing in the 6th and 7th seasons. Sure, the main actors aren't always present, but that's no excuse for bad writing.

I see that 'A...SMOL' is ranked 8th in it's season, behind episodes like 'Love May Be Blind...,' 'Secrets and Sacrifices,' and the Gus/Felicity eps. The results may indicate that voters valued the romantic episodes more than the episodes that reflect the significant changing of times. Is it possible that people weren't sold on the Simon-Hetty romance?

Is anyone surprised that 7 of the top ten worst episodes are from the 6th and 7th seasons? Could this imply that seasons 6 and 7, relatively speaking, were the worst seasons?

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:42 pm

I hate to classify any of the seasons as "the worst"; even at its worst, Avonlea had a quality about it that most shows lacked. But for the sake of argument, it seems the last two seasons suffered mostly from cast members moving on to other projects. Without a Sara, Gus, and Felicity, the writers had no choice but to focus on other characters who really should have remained in supporting roles. I love Davey Keith but... in small doses only and certainly not entire episodes devoted to him. The ratings seem to validate this. The highest rated episodes of Season 6 and Season 7 are the Felix/Izzy episodes and the ones featuring the return of former cast members (Sarah Polley, MM, etc.).

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:04 pm

Actually, I consider season seven one of my favourites, despite all the "filler" episodes (I also like seasons two and four a lot).

I, too, prefer Davey in small doses. In large doses, it's annoying. I consider "From Away" to be a complete waste of celluloid.
Jan wrote:Without a Sara, Gus, and Felicity, the writers had no choice but to focus on other characters who really should have remained in supporting roles.
Or, in the case of "What a Tangled Web We Weave", the US guest stars. ;)
foreverzach.net

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:11 am

I hate to classify any of the seasons as "the worst"; even at its worst, Avonlea had a quality about it that most shows lacked.
You're right, I shouldn't classify these seasons as "worst" because there were many good episodes in these seasons. Maybe seasons with most of the lowest rated episodes (Below 3) would be more appropriate. Here's a list with episodes from the series that were rated somewhere in the range of "Poor" and "Horrible."

Season Three:

Old Friends, Old Wounds
After the Honeymoon

Season Four:

The Disappearance (of the script)

Season Five:

Worst Laid Plans (I guess you can only get away with the evil look alike story once in every series)

Season Six:

Poor Expectations
The Trouble with Davey
What A Tangled Mess...
Christmas in June

Season Seven:

Thank God the Ball is Over
King of the Great White Way
Davey and the Mermaid
From Away (and stay there)

Seasons one and two have all "Fair" and above ratings. Season Two is my personal favorite. Another interesting thing is that season six is the only season that currently doesn't have an episode in the top ten. Lonely Hearts comes the closest at #12.

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:00 am

With the exception of "Thursday's Child" (???), the highest rated episodes are the ones that end with a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling at the end. Very few episodes in Season 6 did this. In this one season alone, Gus returned, found his mother, left Avonlea, and "drowned." Sara returned long enough to estasblish she was leaving Avonlea for good. A new Cecily appeared who was as unlike the old Cecily as possible. One of the most depressing moments in the entire series, Rachel's stroke, was stretched across multiple episodes. And in a moment I still don't understand to this day, Clive and Muriel tied the knot. I think one of the reasons why "Lonely Hearts" is so highly rated is because it's one of the few light moments in a rather dark year for Avonlea. I wonder if people would rate "Thursday's Child" so highly if Cecily had actually died?

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:20 pm

StoryJan wrote:I wonder if people would rate "Thursday's Child" so highly if Cecily had actually died?
At the risk of sounding cruel, I think that's what they should have done, after all, it would have stayed closer to the books. I still think they may have been planning on it, but got too much fan protest over the season 5/6 hiatus. This rush would explain the complete lack of physical similarities between the 2 Cecilys and the singularly bad script for Christmas in June.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

vijay
Found work at the Cannery

Post by vijay » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:12 am

[I wonder if people would rate "Thursday's Child" so highly if Cecily had actually died?]

hmm..I think there are pros and cons to this issue. On the positive side, the image of Cecily as a whole in the series would be less "humiliating" since there would have been no need for Molly Atkinson (obviously if Cecily had died). In addition, again, it would be consistent with the book. However, on the negative side, there would have been even less potential for more storylines if yet another King family member was missing. I guess it's one of those things we have to accept...

On another note..ever since I saw it, my favourite episodes were always the "But When She Was Bad..." set. While a couple of the family members were absent, I felt these episodes brought out some of the best aspects of the whole series..adventure, drama, comedy, and even some everlasting wholesome moments (particularly the scene when Sara thanks Gus for saving her..outside Rose Cottage). These episodes also solidified Sara's relationship with Aunt Hetty after Olivia got married. However, the reasoning behind reintroducing Abe Pike after the "Sea Ghost" incident was a bit confusing...did he just go to Jamaica and then what happened to him?
All in all, I was quite surprised these episodes were not rated higher...

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:06 pm

It seems that if there were plans for Cecily to die, they were abandoned with the realization that the main actors were leaving the show as regular cast members; and they were in desperate need of members of the King family to fill those spaces. I'm not sure if 'Thursday's Child' would have been ranked so highly if Cecily had died because I'm not exactly sure why it's ranked so high in the first place.

Is it because it's Harmony's final appearance? Is it because Felicity has a new exciting career decision? Is it really better than 'Home Movie' and 'A Mother's Love?' Maybe someone who ranked this episode as 'excellent' with a 5 can chime in with these answers.

Vijay, the "But When She Was Bad..." adventure style episodes were fun and it was suspensful to see Abe Pike reappear in that dark alley. What happens with Abe Pike? Like most of the bad guys in the series, they get away... somewhere. When I first saw 'Sea Ghost,' I thought Abe Pike flew fifty feet in the air before plunging to the shore from the lighthouse.

Yep, it was fun when they had more bad guys. It's just too bad most of them got away. Too bad we don't know more about what happened in Jamaica.

:?:

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:24 pm

Timothy wrote:Is it because it's Harmony's final appearance? Is it because Felicity has a new exciting career decision? Is it really better than 'Home Movie' and 'A Mother's Love?' Maybe someone who ranked this episode as 'excellent' with a 5 can chime in with these answers.
I think it's part because it's Harmony's last appearance as Cecily, and part because it was, generally speaking, an emotional episode overall.
foreverzach.net

Annie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Annie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:31 pm

I agree; I think Janet and Alec's performances, in particular, were quite moving. Their struggle to make the right decision, as well as the family's reactions to the possibility that they could lose another member the same way Ruth went, made it quite emotional. In the end, it was all about the importance of family (because even sweet little girls with no lines are important!!)

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:51 pm

I still can't get over the fact that Harmony had very few lines in her final episode, 'Thursdays Child!' We didn't even get a "Digger!" exclamation, although she was very sick. It looks like this episode has moved into a three way battle for third place alongside those mega popular episodes 'Aunt Hetty's Ordeal' and 'So Dear to My Heart.' It must be Harmony's revenge.

:shock:

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:16 pm

It's back down to #6th now.

8)