Ah... Those Timeline Discrepancies

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Ah... Those Timeline Discrepancies

Post by Timothy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:19 am

Road to Avonlea certainly had it's share of timeline descrepancies... Did the series begin in 1903 as many contend? Then why was the Avonlea Chronicle from the first season's 'Hope Chest of Arabella King' dated 1902? Can time really "reveal all," or does it leave more questions than answers. What would you consider the most notorious timeline discrepancies from the series?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:23 pm

Felix's age during the first few seasons.

Season one, "The Witch of Avonlea" ~ He signs his letter to Peg Bowen, "Felix King, Age 11".

Season three, "Friends and Relations" ~ IIRC, it's mentioned that Felix is twelve. If so, then he was eleven for two years. ;)

Season four, "Incident at Vernon River" ~ Alec mentions that Felix is thirteen.

Season four, "Heirs and Graces" ~ One of the White Sands workers mentions that he doesn't like to be bossed around by "a twelve-year-old."

I think the age mentioned in [email protected] is correct; and I do think the writers stayed pretty consistent with Felix's age from season five onward. It's just the early years. (In my own timeline of sorts, I have him aging from 9 to 17 or 18 through the course of the series.)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Annie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Annie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:35 pm

In "Aunt Abigail's Beau", Alec mentions that he was 43 on his last birthday, corrected shortly after by Janet who says he was 44. Assuming that Felicity isn't much older than 13 in the first season, that means Alec was 31 when she was born, and 29 when he was married.
Janet mentions earlier in the same episode that she was just a girl when she married. And in "Felicity's Perfect Beau" she said she was married young. So,considering that she was consoling a 16 year old Felicity, one would assume she meant she had been married around 20. So, how far apart in age are Alec and Janet? Or was she pursuing a much older boy like a "mad terrier" in the Avonlea schoolyard?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:25 pm

Shelly wrote:
Season one, "The Witch of Avonlea" ~ He signs his letter to Peg Bowen, "Felix King, Age 11".

Season three, "Friends and Relations" ~ IIRC, it's mentioned that Felix is twelve. If so, then he was eleven for two years. ;)
We should cut the writers some slack on Felix's age. I heard they count with their fingers and so it's quite the miracle that they even got to eleven.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:34 pm

Annie wrote:
So, how far apart in age are Alec and Janet? Or was she pursuing a much older boy like a "mad terrier" in the Avonlea schoolyard?
Annie, that really puts things in a new perspective. Alec couldn't have been held back that many years in school, could he?

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:28 pm

Shelly wrote: Season four, "Heirs and Graces" ~ One of the White Sands workers mentions that he doesn't like to be bossed around by "a twelve-year-old."
I always assumed he was exaggerating out of frustration (something I would do). Also, the worker would have no particular reason to know Felix's actual age, so maybe he just misjudged it. Either way, I never thought this particular reference applied to the timeline issue.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:44 pm

How about the RTA timeline with the Anne characters?

In 'Malcolm and the Baby,' Rachel Lynde mentions that Marilla is visiting Anne and taking care of Anne's new baby.

In 'Old Friends, Old Wounds,' there is another reference to Anne having children.

Anne 3 takes place after these episodes and Anne and Gilbert do not have children.

Did Anne have children out of wedlock with someone other than Gilbert?

:oops:

Annie

Post by Annie » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:20 pm

I think Sully certainly took a big risk there when he fiddled around with that timeline. However, I like to think that Anne 3 was centered around more of an 'experimental' storyline, shall we say. Kind of a "what if this took place at this time" idea.
It is a really annoying discrepancy though . . .

Elizabeth
Found work at the Cannery

discrepancies

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:15 pm

Has anyone noticed how the writers always seem to mix up Hetty's and Rachel Lynde's ages? According to "Old Quarrels, Old Love," Hetty and Rachel fought over Romney Penhallow's age in seventh grade, and immediately afterwards Romney left the island to go to college. I highly doubt that an eighteen-year-old would have been interested in twelve year olds, and is it just me or is that a little too young for serious romantic elationships? (even back then). Plus, Romney looks a lot younger than Hetty, and Rachel looks about ten-fifteen years older! And how much older are they supposed to be than Alec and Janet?

Plus, in "Friends and Relations," Alec tells Gus and Felix that when he was in school he hung out with Jasper, Amos Spry, Ed Lawson, and Bert Potts. That has always struck me as particularly funny because they all look nowhere near each other in age (Alec looks MUCH older than Jasper and is it just me or does Mr. Lawson look like he is from a previous generation?)

It is also funny that supposedly Hetty taught most of the townsfolk (see HCMK). There is no way that Hetty would have been old enough to teach Clara Potts and Aida Hubble.

Lastly, does anyone know how old Sara was supposed to have been? In "Moving On," Marshal Zak (or maybe it was his friend) told some random reporter that Sara was fourteen, but since he also made up a bunch of lies about Sara, I never knew if we were suppoosed to take that seriously. If so, that would have put her around Felix' age, and I always thought she would have been about a year younger than Felicity. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Annie

Post by Annie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:33 am

I think you're right about Sara's age; I always figured her to be right in between Felix and Felicity.
And if Alec is possiby nine years older than Janet (give or take), then why can't the Penhallow/King/Lynde triangle of love join in the on the trend, lol?
Who would have thought that Avonlea would promote such scandals? :lol:

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:15 pm

Annie wrote:I think Sully certainly took a big risk there when he fiddled around with that timeline. However, I like to think that Anne 3 was centered around more of an 'experimental' storyline, shall we say.
"Experimental" is a good word to describe those parallel timelines between RTA and the Anne films. What's interesting is that 'Rilla of Ingleside' was going to originally be the Sullivan follow up to 'Anne of Avonlea,' but then Sullivan wanted the Anne works to coincide with the RTA timeline (Which obviously it doesn't because Anne has children in the RTA time scheme and doesn't in Anne 3). KS said that this was like walking a fine line between the authentic Montgomery works and the need to produce a film for television; but Anne 3 appears to have jumped way over the line dressed in full combat gear.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: discrepancies

Post by Timothy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:54 pm

Elizabeth wrote: Plus, in "Friends and Relations," Alec tells Gus and Felix that when he was in school he hung out with Jasper, Amos Spry, Ed Lawson, and Bert Potts. That has always struck me as particularly funny because they all look nowhere near each other in age (Alec looks MUCH older than Jasper and is it just me or does Mr. Lawson look like he is from a previous generation?)
I always thought that this was really funny! Alec is definitely older than Jasper. Not only that but Jasper is supposed to have been this awkward town exile and now we're supposed to believe he was socially extroverted? I also thought 'Alec's gang' was funny. I'm sure that after they finished their farm chores they were a force to be reckoned with.

Hetty looks older than Romney, but Jackie is only about 3 years older than Peter Coyote. Consider that Jackie also played "The Old Lady" in the 1974 show 'Running Time' according to IMDB. Must be the cigarettes.
Elizabeth wrote:If so, that would have put her around Felix' age, and I always thought she would have been about a year younger than Felicity. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!
Annie wrote:I think you're right about Sara's age; I always figured her to be right in between Felix and Felicity.

You're both right, because it mentions in the Bantam Skylark Avonlea books that Sara is 12 years old, between 11 year old Felix and 13+ year old Felicity. So Sara probably would have been around 14-15 years old in 'Moving On.'

/

Shelly

Re: discrepancies

Post by Shelly » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:11 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Has anyone noticed how the writers always seem to mix up Hetty's and Rachel Lynde's ages? According to "Old Quarrels, Old Love," Hetty and Rachel fought over Romney Penhallow's age in seventh grade, and immediately afterwards Romney left the island to go to college. I highly doubt that an eighteen-year-old would have been interested in twelve year olds, and is it just me or is that a little too young for serious romantic elationships? (even back then).
I think he could've been closer to fifteen or sixteen. Back then it seemed like people started their college educations in their mid-teens as opposed to their late teens/early twenties. (If I remember, LMM was circa sixteen or seventeen when she went to Prince of Wales.)
Elizabeth also wrote:Plus, Romney looks a lot younger than Hetty, and Rachel looks about ten-fifteen years older! And how much older are they supposed to be than Alec and Janet?
Hetty is, I think, about two years (maybe three?) older than Alec.
Elizabeth then wrote:Plus, in "Friends and Relations," Alec tells Gus and Felix that when he was in school he hung out with Jasper, Amos Spry, Ed Lawson, and Bert Potts. That has always struck me as particularly funny because they all look nowhere near each other in age (Alec looks MUCH older than Jasper and is it just me or does Mr. Lawson look like he is from a previous generation?)
Good points!
Elizabeth also wrote:It is also funny that supposedly Hetty taught most of the townsfolk (see HCMK). There is no way that Hetty would have been old enough to teach Clara Potts and Aida Hubble.
I don't think that meant she taught at Avonlea that long necessarily. She probably could've commuted from there to a nearby school (Markdale or Carmody) during her career.

And if the first two Anne films and RTA are joined at the hip, timeline-wise, she couldn't have taught in Avonlea during Anne's day, as they had Mr. Phillips and Muriel Stacey for part of that time.
Finally, Elizabeth wrote:Lastly, does anyone know how old Sara was supposed to have been? In "Moving On," Marshal Zak (or maybe it was his friend) told some random reporter that Sara was fourteen, but since he also made up a bunch of lies about Sara, I never knew if we were suppoosed to take that seriously. If so, that would have put her around Felix' age, and I always thought she would have been about a year younger than Felicity. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!
I have Felix being about three years younger than Felicity. She's sixteen in the fourth season; he's thirteen. I think the age given in the ep is correct.
Tim wrote:Not only that but Jasper is supposed to have been this awkward town exile and now we're supposed to believe he was socially extroverted?
Actually, I think it's entirely possible that he could've been an extrovert at one time. It wasn't until he was grown up that he became a recluse.

Excerpt from the book version of "The Story Girl Earns Her Name"...

When the hall had been pretty well put to rights and dinnertime approached, Sara and Olivia set out walking along the road home. Though Sara hadn't seen the episode between Jasper and Sally Potts, she had had enough experience herself with his strange behavior to be thoroughly puzzled. Now that she had Aunt Olivia to herself, she hoped to solve the mystery of Jasper Dale.

"Why is he hiding from me?" she wanted to know. Had she, personally, done something to upset the man?

Olivia only smiled.

"It's not just you, Sara. Jasper Dale's been like that for a long time."

"But why?"

Olivia sighed softly.

"A lot of reasons, I guess. I remember when he was young. His parents had such high expectations of him that, no matter how hard he tried, he just could never please them."

This made Sara think immediately of Aunt Hetty.

"How awful."

"And then, when he was grown-up and his mother took sick, Addie McNeil was sent to nurse her, and Jasper fell madly in love with her, but his mother just wouldn't consent to their marriage, even on her deathbed."

His mother had refused his heart's desire! Even from her deathbed! Sara's mouth fell open into a round, pink "O." If Jasper had been seared by the fires of tragic love, no wonder he had given up on the world.

"How could she?" Sara cried, unable to imagine such hard heartedness.

Olivia shrugged. "Well, Jasper rebelled and he arranged to be married. Anyway, even from the grave his mother won out. The wedding day arrived and the bride didn't. She ran away with a farmer from the next concession. She jilted Jasper at the altar, in front of the whole town."

"Poor Jasper!"

Sara's own troubles shrank clean away by comparison. Jasper's ordeal had been far worse than publicly helping a thief run away with the library funds.

"He's been a recluse ever since," Olivia finished.

Sara could understand that perfectly well. She had had strong reclusive impulses herself the day after Mr. Beatty had taken to his heels. Why, if something wasn't done, Jasper Dale was liable to languish his whole life away hiding in his house or his barn. How fortunate that Sara had talked him into doing the magic lantern show. That would be the saving of him. Success would show Jasper how understanding folks could be. The magic lantern would make him a hero in front of all Avonlea.
foreverzach.net

Annie

Post by Annie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:41 pm

I could also picture Jasper being one of those younger kids in a gang who is gullible enough to do whatever the older ones tell him. Since he was locked in a church basement with a skunk, perhaps he was more of a tag-a-long who was easily fooled into doing things he wouldn't have chosen to do himself. Maybe Alec and the rest of the boys liked to have a little harmless fun with him . . .

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:51 pm

That's entirely possible, too.
foreverzach.net