Road to Avonlea Reunion Movie?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed May 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Wild Roses wrote: All the Sull-Ent website promos are one long Annefest. He doesn't market his other movies. And, the website itself seems to make secondary his other work.
Poor KS. All those LMM/RTA/Anne promos, dvd sales, and still... Has not made a net profit. :lol:

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:50 pm

Don't know if anybody has gone to the Anne3 forum and seen the Mag question and answer segment, but in one in several of her responses she does imply that it is probably going to happen. (In one she says specifically that ideas are being floated around, but one has caught anybody's fancy just yet.)

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:30 am

When Mag was asked at the March 8th chat if she was interested in reprising her role as Olivia for a reunion, she replied:

YES! YES! YES! Even if I had to wear a corset. Even if I had to have another baby. Even if I had to shoot in minus 30 on the tundra. Even if Jasper were diagnosed with dementia. (Then we would have lots more children because he wouldn't be distracted by his experiments.) What's not to love?

Sounds like she'd be thrilled. :D

The Story Girl
Found work at the Cannery

Reunion movie

Post by The Story Girl » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:31 pm

If Sullivan makes a reunion movie, i'll probably roll over. It would probably be good, except that there will be so much conflict in getting Sarah Polley to be in it. Maybe it will work. It depends who's going to write the script.

He should make the reunion a trilogy so we all Avonlea fans can watch it.
Avonlea is my second home.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:16 am

Getting Michael Mahonen and Gema Zamprogna will be important, being that they became the focus point of the series. Sarah could be a plus, if she can keep the 'this is such a horrible little kids show that I agreed to star in' type comments quiet while the reunion is being promoted.

You're right Story Girl that the script is important. If Laurie Pearson (From Away) is hired as a writer, then it doesn't matter what big star names are in the movie. It will be a disaster. Bring back Conkie! Bring back Conkie!

A trilogy could be a good idea, but I guess it's one step at a time.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:29 am

Still waiting for the Great Pumpkin to show... :wink:

Kevin Sullivan on whether there will be another RTA movie (February 18th 2009):
It's a question that we get asked all the time and I would love to be able to do another Avonlea movie. It's really been a question of trying to entertain that for the cast and really find out whether there's broadcasters that are interested in doing it. A lot of period television has fallen out of favor, particularly in North America... And as we renewed our relationship on Anne of green Gables with the head of CTV. CTV is now our broadcaster for not only Anne of Green Gables but all of the other Avonlea reruns in Canada so that probably would be required to have their interest to generate a new movie, but it's certainly not out of the question.

http://www.anneofgreengables.com/livechat/

~

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:49 pm

This topic makes me sad seeing all those posts from 2006 and now it is 2009 and no movie.

I'm slightly optimistic we'll get another one, but only slightly.

I think Sully is partly right about period television having fallen out favor in the U.S. Once upon a time, A&E and Bravo ran period drama stuff. Now, those networks only run reality shows. PBS is about the only place that still churns out the period dramas. But Hallmark has the long running Love Come Softly miniseries. So, he does have options. And PBS and Hallmark are where Anne and RTA stuff has often ended up. So, I think he's bluffing and just using the excuse of U.S. being less interested in period drama rather than outright say he has no plans for another movie. (And perhaps he is only saying that because when Anne 4 bombed in Canada, no U.S. networks would pick it up therefore knowing Sully mind frame, he thinks nobody in the U.S. is interested in period drama anymore.)

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 pm

This is partly why I think a "where are they now?" or a "cast reflections on the series after twenty years" documentary would be a better idea than a "proper" film (as much as the lot of us would like to see one).

Not only are period pieces not as popular now; I think the logistics of making a second reunion are much more different than if he'd decided to make one earlier in the decade. There's seeing if CTV would be interested, yes; but there's also the script to be sorted. The main question, to me, would be what time period would it be set in. If it's set ten years after HCMK (mid 1920s), then it'd be easier, IMO. However, if it's set just after WW1 ends (1918/19), there may be problems, especially in regards to some of the younger cast--some of whom would be, I think, too old to portray their characters at the ages they would be during that time. (Most of the characters, after the war, would be scattered throughout their twenties; Gus would be a bit closer to thirty.)

Also, I would think a documentary would cost less to make than a full-fledged period film. Given the current economic climate, it may be a more attractive option.
Wild Roses wrote:(And perhaps he is only saying that because when Anne 4 bombed in Canada, no U.S. networks would pick it up therefore knowing Sully mind frame, he thinks nobody in the U.S. is interested in period drama anymore.)
As I recall, Anne 4 is supposed to air in the States at some point; but they were still looking for someone to carry it.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:18 pm

I dunno about that idea, Shelly. I mean something is better than nothing but with great websites like yours and imdb, etc it's pretty easy to find out what actors are up to. I guess the only ppl I'd be interested in finding out about would be those who have been incognito or on hiatus from film & TV. Maybe Gema with her children and showing the studio she teaches/taught at and what Harmony Cramp is up to. Maybe stuff about Zachary Ansley's law career. But everyone else is acting or even directing in Sarah's case. It's pretty easy to find out what they're up to now. I would LOVE to see RTA in the 20's and I really think we all deserve something closer to what was originally planned for HCMK. I know it would be a very different time period but maybe we could have some flashbacks of Felix and Izzy.
ImageImageImageImage

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Marina » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:02 am

I haven`t seen HCMK yet. I`d like to see it, but not as much as I wanted to before I learned that Gus is not in it and that the plot is not what I expected it to be. I`d really love to see a reunion movie that is set years later, I wouldn`t mind the different time period at all.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Yet, some fans probably don't have internet (though it's a lot more widespread these days), or don't know where to look for information. And even with the fansites out there, news on the cast can still be very hard to come by at times. Sometimes I'll end up missing something.

Plus, it doesn't have to be strictly "where are they now?". It could also be them reflecting on the series after twenty years.
foreverzach.net

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:17 pm

It could also be them reflecting on the series after twenty years.
Ooh! I like that idea!

Is any of the AvCon stuff ever taped? Because Sully could even use that for interview material. (God bless you lucky people who get to attend it!)

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Shelly wrote:Yet, some fans probably don't have internet (though it's a lot more widespread these days), or don't know where to look for information. And even with the fansites out there, news on the cast can still be very hard to come by at times. Sometimes I'll end up missing something.

Plus, it doesn't have to be strictly "where are they now?". It could also be them reflecting on the series after twenty years.
Yeah, I guess that's true. If we got bloopers, outtakes and other footage we've never seen that would be cool. I still want another movie (if it's done well) though. There was so much left hanging by the end of the series and HCMK and if the actors are interested in reprising their roles I would love to see that. There might start to be interest again in nostalgic and comforting shows now that economies around the world are in the crapper.
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:56 pm

Wild Roses wrote:Is any of the AvCon stuff ever taped? Because Sully could even use that for interview material. (God bless you lucky people who get to attend it!)
There's a little footage from AvCon 2007 on YouTube...

Ian Clark...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgejkYntEB8

Ian Clark and MM get into character...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJHYL-H5COM

Auction footage...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLhOR8HSpZw

Filming of a little blooper/BTS montage put together for the convention (which, IMO, would be a brilliant addition to a retrospective/reflective documentary)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmCVdgi5W0o
foreverzach.net

Sierradane
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Sierradane » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:33 pm

I for one would love it if Disney, A&E or any other network would start showing any of the Sullivan creations. The reality shows are getting old, at least for me.