What is your most favorite episode and why?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Roo18
Harvest Ball Costume Winner

What is your most favorite episode and why?

Post by Roo18 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:48 pm

Write what your favorite episode is and why?

My most Favourite episode is So Dear to My Heart because it was a long time coming for Felicity and Gus getting married. They really love each other since the second time they saw each other. I was so sad at first when I heard that Gus had drown after the ship he was on went down. I was so happy after I found out that Gus was alive, but kind of sad that Gus was blind. It was so totally awsome that Felicity told Stuart that it was over. I glad we see what some of the people of Avonlea are going to do in the future.
"Let's go get some ice cream, before Felix eats it all" - Felicity King
"Such dreams Felix. Where do they go?" - Felicity King

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:46 pm

That's a good pick.

My favorite episode is 'Proof of the Pudding.' Proof represents one of the best adaptations of the Montgomery works from which RTA was adapted. The books 'The Story Girl' and 'The Golden Road' were fun books about simple childhood adventures, friendship and and folly; and I think Proof captured the spirit of the characters and the mood of 'The Story Girl.' The antagonism between the children was hilarious and the reconciliation between Felicity and Sara at the end was poignant and brought about some, but not all, conflict resolution started in TJB. Sara was now accepted. I also like how Hetty rallies to stop the sly lawyer Simpkin from stealing their water rights.

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:07 pm

My favorite episode…Oh, there are so many good ones: Aunt Hetty’s ordeal, How Kissing was Discovered, Old quarrels, Old love, Proof of Pudding, A Mother’s love, Hearts and Flowers, The Dinner (Felicity’s Grand Design), Home Movie, The Return of Gus Pike, Women of Importance, Thursday’s Child, and still I could go on.

You want me to pick just one. It is hard to choose. For Today, I’ll go with the one I loved when I first saw it and still love now. So drum roll please….How Kissing was Discovered.

I love the music in this episode. I enjoy seeing Felicity work through the awkward age of being between a child and adult. I enjoy all the Gus Pike scenes. Aunt Eliza is very funny and she brings the right touch of humor to the drama. (“Oh never my Janet dear, cousin Myrtle’s husband left her too and she never had a sulky fit since.”). We can’t forget the ball and all the humorous things that happens there. Highlights: Felicity and Gus’s dialog about how to kiss, Gus mimicking Felicity’s father walking, and the big banister fall. Gus Pike kissing Felicity, then sliding down the rope, and waving goodbye is beautifully filmed scene. All the elements (the actors, movement, lighting, and music) fit together so perfectly. It was then that we knew that Gus Pike and Felicity King were meant to be together (or at least we hoped so).

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Favorite episode

Post by arose28 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:27 pm

:D I have two favorite episodes. The first one is Thursday's Child. I have been watching Avonlea since I was thirteen and I am now twenty-nine and have recently been rewatching some episodes, and in my opinion, Thursday's Child just gets better and better each time I see it. I have a two-year old that has a chronic health condition, one kidney, and I totally understand what Janet is going through. Seeing your child with a chronic illness, it just makes you feel so powerless.

I also love So Dear To My Heart because of the simple fact that Felicity and Gus had been sweethearts ever since they were children, and I knew Gus loved Felicity deeply and how much Felicity cared for him. When Felicity was told that Gus was drowned in Homecoming, you could see something inside of her flicker and almost burn out, and she was just existing, not living until she was told that Gus was alive. Then, to see what I had been hoping and praying for since the beginning of the series, Gus and Felicity getting married, it was an alleluia moment! The episode is like trying to hold time in an hourglass, you just want everything to remain and to be able to stay there in Avonlea with everyone.
Love Avonlea!

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Marina » Wed May 13, 2009 3:24 am

How Kissing was Discovered and The Dinner are my favourite episodes. I`ve seen these episodes numerous times, and every time I feel bad I watch them and they make me feel better. I just LOVE watching Gus and Felicity together. I don`t usually care for on-screen romance, but their relationship is sooooo sweet. There is such a chemistry between them, I totally enjoy it! I became a huge RTA fan when I first saw How Kissing was Discovered. I was Felicity`s age at the time and I totally understood what she was going through. I remember feeling very happy after watching that episode for the first time.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri May 15, 2009 11:03 am

I'm suprised no one picked 'A Mother's Love'? AML has been at the top of the ratings for quite some time, and yet, none of us picked it. :?:

Marina
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Marina » Fri May 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Timothy wrote:I'm suprised no one picked 'A Mother's Love'? AML has been at the top of the ratings for quite some time, and yet, none of us picked it. :?:
I`ve been thinking about this when I first saw those ratings... I was a bit surprised by such a high rating of AML...Don`t get me wrong, I LOVE that episode, but it isn`t one of those episodes I would watch over and over again...
arose28; I hope you`ll child will be ok! I only saw Thursday`s Child twice because it`s sooo sad....I`ve been crying all the time. Thursday`s child has far to go...

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Response to Marina

Post by arose28 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:14 pm

I like A Mother's Love as well, but my favorite ones are the epsiodes that make you think. A Mother's Love makes you consider how the word mother is not defined by blood. Aunt Hetty is Sarah's aunt and not her mother, but you can see that Aunt Hetty is clearly a maternal figure in spite of that. The same can be said for Muriel Stacey when she marries Clive Pettibone and becomes stepmother to Izzy, Arthur and Morgan. My daughter, Amadea, is doing very well in spite of her kidney condition. The doctors have said that Amadea should live a long and healthy life and not suffer any complications. When she was a baby, it was very different. Ultrasounds, a CT scan to make sure that her remaining kidney was functioning and a visit to Cincinatti Children's Hospital to ensure that her bladder was functioning properly. I enjoy Thursday's Child for those reasons, because it makes you consider how precious children are, and how much Cecily has always been Janet and Alec's baby, and how close Cecily came to slipping away. Tuberculosis during the early 20th Century was very bad, and hundreds of people died from it, or were isolated in sanitariums much in the way of the episode.
Love Avonlea!

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun May 17, 2009 5:19 pm

A Mother's Love was very good but it makes me really cry. It is poignant that later Felicity will become a mother for orphans at the Foundling Home. By knowing Sara and Gus I think she and Felix both learn how important family is. And they get a broader understanding of family than just blood relations.

There are so many favorites it's very hard to pick one. At the very top is Aunt Hetty's Ordeal. I am always moved by the scene when Gus first comes to school and learns to write his name. I love the side he brings out in Hetty. And another I love is Friends and Relations. It's just so entertaining. It's fun to see Alec and Jasper together because they're so different. I never get tired of rewatching it. My favorite romantic ones are Old Quarrels, Old Love, Return to Me and the Dinner. OQOL is so well done and moving. The chemistry btwn Romney and Hetty is fabulous. I love the music in that one. The Dinner is just such perfect Gus and Felicity stuff and is so funny, too. The scene with Janet and Alec talking about arms and backs is priceless. Return to Me I love because it shows how far Felicity is willing to find Gus. And then her devotion to him when she finds him. I like the fact that they show how difficult it was for Gus including shutting himself away. It's hard for ppl who haven't been in the experience to understand but having a spouse who's disabled I can attest it's very realistic to feel like a burden to those you love. It's also a great adventure. Plus she and Hetty are funny together because they're similar but different enough to rub each other the wrong way. I love Hetty on the ship. Anyway there's lots more but those are my top ones, I think.
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun May 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Timothy wrote:I'm suprised no one picked 'A Mother's Love'? AML has been at the top of the ratings for quite some time, and yet, none of us picked it. :?:
Well, you and I both know someone who loves this ep to bits. ;) I was stunned it was #1. I like the episode; it's in my top (at least) twenty. But not number one.

My number one is "Proof of the Pudding". I like it because it, pretty much, defined what RTA was meant to capture: the innocence of the era. Not to mention it featured the kids just being kids.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Fovorite episode

Post by arose28 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:39 pm

I think Proof of the Pudding is good, the scene with Sarah in the mud wearing those shoes! Another funny one is Enter Prince Charming with Alec and Janet dancing to the ragtime music when Felicity and Felix walk in on them! The look on their faces is so classic kids caught the parents in the act! Where Sarah gets the wallpaper paste dropped on her head is good. It's the I-want-to-look-good-in-front-of-him moment only to be embarrased by the relatives. I also like Misfits and Miracles, since it shows that it is not if you win the game but how you play it. Home Movie is good too, showing how important it was for Avonlea to maintain their way of life and not give in to progress too quickly. The episode with Christopher Reeve, A Dark and Stormy Night is also neat to watch. I guess there are so many good episodes that it is hard to pick!
Love Avonlea!

belgrade-boy
King Farm Hired Hand

Re: What is your most favorite episode and why?

Post by belgrade-boy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:39 am

When I watched RTA back then in 1996 (I was 9), my favorite was 'Proof of the Pudding' :D and the episode with Sara switching her place with Jo Pits.
But now when I'm 13 years older, I prefere later episodes and seasons. My favorite is ''So dear to my heart" because we finally saw Felicity and Gus happy and merried, we saw Sara coming back ... (I think episode should have been longer though)

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Re:

Post by StoryJan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Shelly wrote:
Well, you and I both know someone who loves this ep to bits. ;) I was stunned it was #1. I like the episode; it's in my top (at least) twenty. But not number one..
That's because I vote for it every day:) No one is taking down my favorite! (I'm only joking! :lol:)

~*Katie*~
Bright Station Arrival

Post by ~*Katie*~ » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:26 pm

"Hearts and Flowers"...I laugh until I cry every time I watch this episode. "The bird is dead!" "Goose!" "What if she tries to kiss me?!" So many hilarious lines...where do I begin with this episode. It's not one of the most popular or one of the standouts, but there is so much going on in this one that you just have to laugh.

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:05 pm

I personally like the episodes that include the hotel the best. Something about the whole atmosphere, the ambiance. And of course I like Piére a lot (I don't use his photograph as an avatar for nothing). With Piére and Tremayne a lot of extra humor was added to the show. With Tremayne it also was his Scottish accent. The interaction between HK and Tremayne, and between Tremayne and Piére. I also liked the episode with Christopher Loyd. Wonderful character that professor Dimple. It's really true, that a true artist is able to inspire others. And who can forget the outcry: 'Methusalah!' when a green feathered dish was served. The show wouldn't be complete without the hotel. What I also found very humorous, was the episode with Wally Higgins. Especially how he 'moved' over the ice when he was skating towards HK to make his announcement: his right arm in the air and whoops, here we go! But it wouldn't have been so funny if he wasn't a bit overweight. Good choice of the casting director. And of course when Peg Bowen revealed herself after having disguised herzelf when playing with the Avengers, after which Alec said, 'You have to find someone to replace Mr. Peg Bowen'. I also really liked 'The Lady and the Blade', especially the literary discussion in the general store between Clive Pettybone and Hetty King, and of course Hetty cracking nuts while reading before the fire place.

Actually, it is of course the whole show, nothing can be missed, otherwise it would be incomplete. But there were a few episodes that I found a bit melancholic and depressed, such as the one with Emmet and Emily. I also didn't like the one with the Blanes a lot (their 'way' disturbed the 'rural feel' of the series), of course theep had a few funny scenes: Mrs. Potts performing on stage, Eliza's question to Mrs. Blane: 'Where do you live, in a railway yard?'

I also have to say that I also liked Rachel Lynde a lot. I think she did a great job, especially when she had to act out the stroke. One can always find one or two scenes where you can 'see' or 'sense' that he or she is really acting, something unnatural creeps in for a second, but Patricia Hamilton did a great job in my opinion.

If I had to sum up the whole show in one sentence, it would be this: 'A celebration of Life'.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.