Is Avonlea a sugary sacharine sweet show?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat May 03, 2008 7:22 am

How can the series be sugary if the main premise that you just described was the perception of Gus dying horribly leaving Felicity in despair?

Someone tell me how all this is sugary?

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Sun May 11, 2008 8:10 am

I've been doing some thinking lately about this.

I have to wonder if Sarah Polley was caught up on the plots when she guest starrred in the final episode. Season 5 has slighter darker storylines than previous seasons, season 6 is the most depressing of them all, and even though season 7 regained much of the series earlier charm, it did not have the innocence of the earlier seasons.

Typically, when stars leave shows they don't keep up with the storylines that develop. Sarah's stint in season 6 was pretty much a standalone episode dealing with SS in a way that recalled the earlier seasons (at least the feud between Aunt Hetty and Louisa) and by the time she guest starred in season 7, all the depressing storylines of season 6 had been mended. I can't imagine SP asking for or getting a plot synapsis of what happened while she was gone, because her main function in the final episode was to be happy Gus and Felicity were finally getting married, so she wouldn't neccessarily need to know the dramatic events that led up to it because it was probably indicated in earlier seasons that Gus and Felicity were one of the main ships but an endgame ship.
"We couldn't buy the logic that Jesus was the only way. That meant the Buddhists and Hindus who had never even heard of Christ Almighty were doomed to hell, while Ku Klux Klan members were not." From THE HUNDRED SECRET SENSES by Amy Tan.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Nope, I generally don't think it's sugary/saccharine sweet at all. I think it has sweet moments but rarely saccharine. I think it has a great balance of happy and sad, funny, romantic and even poignant. The main reason is that the characters all had flaws and developed/matured. It doesn't deal with every historic event or phenomena but it does tackle quite a few. Some more accurately than others. I also found Sara to be the most saccharine character and that's why I lost interest in her. I wanted the feisty side to come out more. She was a little all over the place. Sometimes I liked her, sometimes she was insufferable. Most of the problem was the inconsistent writing the fact that Sarah Polley didn't want to be there after the 2nd season. Some of my least favorite moments are the ones with Sara and guest stars in the 3rd and 4th seasons. Also I got a little tired of her with Jasper. At first it was good but then it got to be annoying. I definitely think a show like Full House, Step by Step and some of the other early 90's shows were way more saccharine than RTA.
ImageImageImageImage

Brent
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Brent » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:18 am

Hannikan states it quite well. RTA is a nice, GENUINE show that has sweet and sad moments, some tragedy, some triumph, some humor etc. It's really well balanced and well written.