The two Doras

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
panini
Planted Magic Seeds

The two Doras

Post by panini » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:43 am

I was wondering -- does anybody know which episode the second actress who played Dora Keith first appeared in? Conversely what was the last episode the first actress who played her was in?

Strangely, before someone actually mentioned that the character was played by two actresses, I never noticed the switchover! :oops: So now I'm curious when it happened.

Annie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Annie » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:43 am

I believe Dora #1's last episode was 'Old Friends, Old Wounds' in which Marilla dies and Green Gables is put up for sale. You don't see Dora #2 until season 5 in 'A Friend in Need.' You probably didn't notice the switch since neither Davey nor Dora show up in season 4 (am I right? :roll:).

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:52 pm

Annie wrote:You probably didn't notice the switch since neither Davey nor Dora show up in season 4.
That sound about right. I don't remember seeing them in the fourth season and they had a chance with Rachel Lynde in 'Moving On.' I don't remember them being in school in 'Boys will be Boys,' otherwise Davey might have caused one of the fires.

Which Dora do you think was the best, Dora #1 (Ashley Muscroft) or Dora #2 (Lindsay Murell)?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:18 pm

D&D weren't in season four at all. Annie's right. :)

A casual viewer probably wouldn't have been able to tell there were two Doras, as Ashley and Lindsay bore a slight resemblance (IMO).

Anyway. I prefer Lindsay, methinks.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Elizabeth
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:23 pm

I believe Dora 1 first appeared in "Of Corsets, Secrets, and True True Love" in season 2. That episode also introduced Davey to RTA. It was kind of boring, though, which is why I think it is often ooverlooked. Personally, I never enjoyed seeing episodes that focused on the Keiths; to me, they seemed to be fillers for the lack of star presence in the later seasons. Plus, Dora (esp Lindsay Murrell), appeared wooden and flat.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:20 pm

I always liked 'Corsets, Secrets... (Current rank #64),' but I have to say that I like Dora #2 (Lindsay Murell) better. Dora #1 was a bit too whiny and so the change to Lindsay was a good decision. I also liked the Keith interactions with Wiley Lester. It wasn't strong material, but it gave D&D an occasionally fun antagonist.

In the 'Shaftees' we ranked Dora at #8, but was there really a lack of character development or was this how the character was intended to be portrayed by LMM?

panini
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by panini » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:33 am

I agree, I like the second Dora better; I found the first Dora so annoyingly whiny whenever she had a line. I actually liked "Of Corsets, Secrets..." because of the plot involving Rachel's tooth.

Kudos to them for finding a similar looking actress! Too bad they didn't try as hard with Cecily. :x

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:30 am

Count me in as one of the "casual" fans who didn't notice the change in Dora's at first. It wasn't until I rewatched "Of Corsets..." that I said "Hey, wait a sec... we've had a Dora switch!" I, too, prefer Dora #2; yes, she was wooden, but Dora was supposed to be wooden. Even in the Anne series, Davy receives most of the attention with only an occasional nod in Dora's direction mostly to note how well behaved she was. Either the good die young.... or they get the shaft!

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:59 pm

I always liked Ashley (Dora #1) better myself. Lindsay was too wooden for me and although Ashley could be slightly whiny at times, IMHO, it wasn't that bad...
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

alecking

Post by alecking » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:14 pm

Dora #1 and Sally Potts both had voices that would put me on suicide watch. AaaaHH!! I was glad for the Dora change and Sally getting Felicity's hand inprint on her face for being the bearer of bad news.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:55 am

Does anybody know where there are pictures of Dora #1 vs Dora #2? I never knew it was a different person until recently, which I guess is pretty common.

alecking

Post by alecking » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:33 pm

E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll reply with pictures.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:46 am

Which Dora is which?

Example 1

Example 2

Disclaimer: You do not win a prize if you answer correctly. Sorry. :cry:

:?: :?: :?:

alecking

Post by alecking » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:20 pm

Dora #1 is Ashley Muscroft. Her voice makes my ears bleed.

Dora #2 is my fav Dora, Lindsay Murrell. She's a sweet kid.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:25 am

Congratulations Bobby, you just won dinner with Ashley Muscroft!

Just kidding of course.