Felicity vs. Sara

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Felicity vs. Sara

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:51 am

Who did you like better, Felicity or Sara? Who did you like better when they were younger? Which one did you like better when they were older?

Roo18
Harvest Ball Costume Winner

Post by Roo18 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:48 am

I would have to that I like Felicity when she was younger and older, maybe I a little biased because she is my favorite female character on the show. As the show takes place we see Felicity as this girl wants to grow up so fast and not have fun as a child. In one of the shows the Proof of the Pudding we hear this because she saids that something about her reading in the family guide to her mother. When Janet and Alec return she saids that she just wants to observe Janet from now on instead of reading the magazines. Then in Kissing Was Discovered she does not want to reffered as a child, she thinks she all grow up. We see her grow up into a young women and making big decision in her life about marriage and schooling. We see her transform from a everyday dress into a grown that she has created similiar to one of the other guest grown.
"Let's go get some ice cream, before Felix eats it all" - Felicity King
"Such dreams Felix. Where do they go?" - Felicity King

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:25 am

I liked Felicity better from the beginning. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it was because she was always so bossy and sure of herself and I wasn't like that at all as a kid. I was actually probably more like Sara. Then Gus came into the picture and I was REALLY sold!

As I watch the show years later though, I really like Sara too. It's probably the Anne-ness about her that I can identify with.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:30 pm

I prefered Sara, although I did like older Felicity, too. (Though, nowadays, Izzy Pettibone has taken Sara's place as my favourite young female. ;))

Young Felicity got on my nerves way too much for me to like her at that time because of her bossiness and her knack at acting like a self-centred snob. I think I identified more with Sara because of her imaginative spirit and, early on, her wanting to fit in with her extended family (especially her cousins and aunt Hetty).
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Georgiana
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Georgiana » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:25 am

I prefer Sara, but I have to admit that I have not watched all the seasons so I might change my mind once I have watched the ones when the characters get older. Felicity is just slightly too bossy for my liking. :)

Sara
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Sara » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:20 pm

I liked Sara more at first, but in the next seasons, I liked Felicity too. I didn't like Felicity because she always wanted the others to obey her and take her advice. (Didn't she look like Hetty?) I prefered Sara because of her imagination.
Then in the second season, the arrival of Gus Pike and his relationship with Felicity made her character better. Now, I think both of them were lovely characters.
"The devil's in most people. Not me, mind you, but most." - Hetty King

ol' gus
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by ol' gus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:05 am

well..... i hated felicity in the older shows- sara was okay
then about the 4/5th season that changed-
oh well- where would the show have been without those two?

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:37 am

When they aired on Disney back in the day, I definitely liked young Sara more than Felicity...although, now she seems a bit too sacrine for my taste. Still, Felicity grates on my nerves as much as ever....

Older character wise, I think I prefer Felicity, if only for the romantic elements of her storyline. And anyway, why didn't they ever give Sara a good love interest?? She was the romatic one, after all!
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:21 pm

Would Felicity be as poplar as she is without Gus Pike Storyline? Of course, if the Gus Pike storyline is taken out then Felicity storyline would be almost non-existent. I think I just answered my own questioned

I choose Sara of the first two seasons over Felicity. Sure Felicity knew how to cook and was a good house keeper but what is that compare to imagination. Sara had this and she knew how to get even too. I loved her temper. That Sara disappeared after Season 2 somewhere. She wasn’t as imaginative. She didn’t get angry as often. All that was left was an empty shell of the Sara character.

Thus Felicity King, by default, wins the competition of later seasons. After the Sara character goes flat what competition does Felicity really have? Not much until Season 6 when Izzy becomes a more major character

If the Sara character hadn’t gone flat, I don’t know who I would choose. Felicity won my over in How Kissing was Discovered. Before then Sara was cleanly my favorite. So overall Sara was my favorite in the first 2 seasons even if Felicity was my favorite for one episode in season 2. I hope that make sense.

sweetheart
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by sweetheart » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:46 pm

I liked Sara more in the start becuz she she seemed "nicer".I begained to like Felicity more when she grew up...

Shinnen
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Shinnen » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:52 pm

At first I thought Felicity's character was annoying, but added humour in places. Sara would be my favorite of the two, because I like her girlish character (although I noticed the characters start to get older as the seasons go on from looking at the episode guide) and imagination. I saw atleast two episodes from the second season and noticed that Gus's character does bring Felicity out more; I think this also in some ways made me appreciate Sara's character that she stands on her own.
However, I really think I like both of them. :D
O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee; I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain, that morn shall tearless be. ~George Matheson

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:36 am

I think that I really liked Sara when she was young because she was so cute and all, but there was always something about her that I just found a little...I don't know. I can't describe it, really. Felicity was deffinately bossy and all, but I think that I always liked her just a little bit more. But they both hold a special place in my heart.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:09 pm

Miss Lewis wrote: After the Sara character goes flat what competition does Felicity really have? Not much until Season 6 when Izzy becomes a more major character
That's true. I think Felicity had been played out by season 6.

I would say, Sara was my favorite through season 3 (The Lady and the Blade signaled her demise as the Story Girl. Sara and the Marshal/Moving On was the nail in the coffin, IMO. The acting was excellent, but the storyline was waaaay too much!)

Felicity was my favorite from season 4 through the season 5 episode A Friend in Need.

Then, Izzy from A Friend in Need (where they started giving her some real character development), through to the end of the series.

So that's 39 episodes for Sara
36 episodes for Izzy
16 episodes for Felicity

Mind you, this is all approximate, since I'd have to watch the entire series again to figure out exactly when things shifted for me, but that's more or less how it goes.

Lady Jeanne
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Lady Jeanne » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:54 pm

That's a no-brainer--I definitely prefer Felicity. All 7 seasons. Sure, she's kind of bossy and nasty in the first season, but there's so much character development. We see her grow from that bossy, nasty little girl to a thoughtful, beautiful young woman. Not without difficulties, of course, but even then, she learns from her mistakes and carries on with courage. And think how lifeless and dull Avonlea would be without her!

Oldbats
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Oldbats » Fri May 04, 2007 8:17 am

I really liked both characters, although Felicity's character grows and changes in more meaningful ways. Sara is kind of a static character, aside from the episode in which Nanny Louisa and Aunt Hetty are fighting over her, and making plans for her life.

Felicity's character really spans quite an arc, from (semi)spoiled, selfish adolescent to a very mature and compassionate woman. Of all the characters, I enjoyed her progression the most. I liked Aunt Hetty's character development as well.

I couldn't say I like one over the other, but in terms of holding my interest, Felicity definitely wins.
"I honor value and I value honor" --Gus Pike