Was Blair Stanley a Bad Guy?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Was Blair Stanley a Bad Guy?

Post by Timothy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:14 pm

Many people have questioned if Blair Stanley was a bad guy? Some have criticized the Montreal businessman for being more interested in his business ventures than caring for his daughter. Shortly before his death in 'Sara's Homecoming,' he decides to handle a business matter instead of spending time with his daughter. Is this similiar to Roger King's work interests taking precedent over parenting his son? Hetty held a grudge against Blair and said that he was responsible for Ruth's death, resulting in an argument at Ruth's funeral. Then Blair was accused of wanting to take Sara out of Avonlea before she could say goodbye to everyone who had been important and/or generous to her. Do you think Blair was a bad or selfish guy/parent for doing these things?

Annie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Annie » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:35 pm

I think it was more of a bad habit than anything else. It was probably the standard for a man like him to handle business matters while relying on the nanny to entertain the children. Maybe it never really occured to him that Sara would need time to say goodbye to everyone because he never saw her really interact with anyone besides Louisa.
If there wasn't an obvious love between him and Sara, I might think otherwise, but considering that they remained close until his death despite all the interferences, Blair was likely an OK daddy.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:27 pm

Tim wrote: Is this similiar to Roger King's work interests taking precedent over parenting his son? Hetty held a grudge against Blair and said that he was responsible for Ruth's death, resulting in an argument at Ruth's funeral. Then Blair was accused of wanting to take Sara out of Avonlea before she could say goodbye to everyone who had been important and/or generous to her. Do you think Blair was a bad or selfish guy/parent for doing these things?
No. Like Annie, I think it was more of a bad habit than anything. Plus, their closeness--not to mention her ardent defense of her father in the early episodes of RTA--seems to imply that Blair did the best he could.

And from the Irony Files: Hetty loved to rip Blair a new one about him wanting to take Sara home so soon but virtually worshipped the ground her brother Roger walked on; and he barely gave Andrew the time of day, it seemed.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Elizabeth
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:24 pm

Blair always bored me. I know that sounds cold, but he did when I first saw him, and still does. There seemed no depth to his character behind shouting 'Sara, Sara!" and calling Hetty bad names.

panini
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by panini » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:14 am

Well, what do you expect next to characters like Hetty, Felicity, Clara Potts, etc.?? :)

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:01 am

Hetty loved to rip Blair a new one about him wanting to take Sara home so soon but virtually worshipped the ground her brother Roger walked on; and he barely gave Andrew the time of day, it seemed.
Well... Roger was family whereas Blair was never an accepted member of the King clan. Roger also didn't take Ruth away from Hetty and then kill her, as Hetty saw it. To her, Blair was nothing short of a murderer, and his embezellment scandal certainly didn't improve his standing with her. To Hetty, I think Blair was most definitely a villian- someone to be booed at all costs. Even after his death, she never had a kind word to say about him.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:55 pm

StoryJan wrote: Even after his death, she never had a kind word to say about him.
That's very true! In fact, there didn't seem to be a lot of talk about Blair Stanley, suggesting that he wasn't fondly remembered by most of the King family. Sara's Homecoming seemed to be an episode designed to rush Blair out of the series so that Sara could stay in Avonlea. He didn't have a lot of screen time in that episode.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:49 pm

Timothy wrote:That's very true! In fact, there didn't seem to be a lot of talk about Blair Stanley.
What always seemed odd to me was the fact that Sara never spoke about Blair after his death (with the exception of Comings and Goings, yet she managed to mention her mother quite frequently, despite the fact that Ruth died when she was 2.

I think they said she was 2 at some point- darn that Sully timeline :?
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:10 am

Gwendolene wrote:What always seemed odd to me was the fact that Sara never spoke about Blair after his death.
The argument could be made that Sara never learned to cope with Blair's death, hence the funeral scene from 'Sara's Homecoming.' The writers were more inclined to shift the direction of the story lines away from this subject toward Isis and Leo, and the bigger picture of Sara's residence. This might sound bad, but the producers wanted Blair killed and buried quickly so they could tackle all the themes in the second season (Arrival of Gus, Jasper and Olivia romance, etc.).

If ratings would have been bad in the first season, Blair Stanley likely would have brought Sara home at the end of that season in accordance with the Montgomery works. The stellar ratings of the first season and the instant love for the series among fans drove the final nail in Blair's coffin. Blair had to die to ensure Sara would stay in Avonlea.

Nevertheless, I haven't heard anyone wanting Blair to have lived or expressing anger, bitterness, etc. that Blair died in the series and lived in the 'Golden Road.' This could suggest that Blair was not necessarily a likeable character, at least to the point that no one desired for him to remain in the series after the second season.

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:59 am

I always liked Blair. Sure, he could've made more time for Sara, but I think part of his problem was that he was grieving the loss of his wife. When people are suffering like that, they tend to bury themselves in their work. And Blair did say that Sara looks so much like Ruth, so maybe it was all just too painful for him.

Unfortunately, I think Blair had to die if Sara was to remain in Avonlea. I mean, she fit in there so well and Blair did not, and it wouldn't make sense for Sara to live in Avonlea longterm with a father alive and well in Montreal and his troubles over.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:03 am

irishcolleen wrote:Sure, he could've made more time for Sara, but I think part of his problem was that he was grieving the loss of his wife. When people are suffering like that, they tend to bury themselves in their work. And Blair did say that Sara looks so much like Ruth, so maybe it was all just too painful for him.
That's a good point irishcolleen. However, I don't think that his pain is an excuse to ignore the pain of his daughter. In Nothing Endures But Change, he was taking Sara out of Avonlea to spite Hetty and had no consideration for Sara's feelings.

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:57 pm

Yeah, that's true. He shouldn't have done that. But even so, I can't see him as a bad guy. Even when he wasn't necessarily acting in Sara's best interests, I always thought he meant well, if that makes any sense.

Annie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Annie » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:15 pm

Timothy wrote:Nevertheless, I haven't heard anyone wanting Blair to have lived or expressing anger, bitterness, etc. that Blair died in the series and lived in the 'Golden Road.' This could suggest that Blair was not necessarily a likeable character, at least to the point that no one desired for him to remain in the series after the second season.
I think that Blair's lack of similarity to his 'Golden Road' character might be another example of why audiences didn't invest much in him, as well as proof that the producers were planning on getting rid of him sooner or later. Blair, in the books, was an artist, and like his daughter, he had a way with words. However, in the series he was presented as a very matter-of-fact, no-nonsense type of guy. If the producers had gone the other route and made him artistically inclined, audiences might have expected him to take Sara away.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:44 am

If the producers had gone the other route and made him artistically inclined, audiences might have expected him to take Sara away.
It's good that the producers didn't go with whimsical book Blair, because he's such an unrealistic character.

Golden Road excerpt:

"It is easy to dream that this is one of the haunted springs of old romance," said Uncle Blair. "'Tis an enchanted spot this, I am very sure, and we should go softly, speaking low, lest we disturb the rest of a white, wet naiad, or break some spell that has cost long years of mystic weaving."

Put braids on this guy and he's Anne Shirley! How shocking would it be if this guy was crushed by a scaffle?

:shock:

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:05 pm

I also think that he was just concerned, but also maybe a little blind. And selfish. And maybe since everyone obeyed him at work he thought he could run his family that way. I don't think he was bad, just lost.