Davey the illiterate

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
panini
Planted Magic Seeds

Davey the illiterate

Post by panini » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:13 am

I was just watching "A Friend in Need" again recently, and maybe I just missed something, but how on earth could Davey Keith have been in Avonlea for three seasons already and not know how to read?? This bothers me! Also, he says that his "other" teacher laughed at him, etc. What other teacher could he have had besides Hetty?? He couldn't have been any more than 5 years of age when he first came to Avonlea, not quite old enough for school yet.

Can someone explain this? Maybe he was older than I thought when he first came to Avonlea, but that still doesn't explain how he sat under Hetty's tutelage for two years and she didn't figure out he couldn't read.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:59 am

What has the school system come to back then? You're right, Hetty definitely would have noticed if Davey couldn't read. Peter Craig was scrutinized by Hetty for this, so it seems very unlikely, virtually impossible, for Davey to hide this for years.

Elizabeth
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:20 pm

Yeah I always thought that too! Much as I love "A Friend in Need," I find it ridiculous that the writers would just now have thought of making Davey illiterate, when he has already been in RTA since season two. Unless maybe the children of Avonlea did not attend schoool until they were seven or eight, so Season 5 was the first season in which Davey went to school? Is that even a possibility? (I don't believe he was featured in the schoolhouse in any prior episodes).

Plus, does anyone else feel it is unlikely that Mr. Pertibone would not have noticed immediately, even if it had been his first year in school? It was also doubtful that he would have managed to learn how to read by the end of the episode, especially in such a short span of time.

The writers really needed to get their facts straight!

panini
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by panini » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:11 am

It is possible that this episode was Davey's first day in school here in Avonlea. That's how it seemed the writers set it up, although it still doesn't make sense somehow. :?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:14 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Plus, does anyone else feel it is unlikely that Mr. Pertibone would not have noticed immediately, even if it had been his first year in school? It was also doubtful that he would have managed to learn how to read by the end of the episode, especially in such a short span of time.
panini wrote:It is possible that this episode was Davey's first day in school here in Avonlea. That's how it seemed the writers set it up, although it still doesn't make sense somehow.
No kidding! When Clive became teacher, he could hear students passing notes behind his back and was in tune with every academic problem. And for him to be unaware that Davey couldn't read is unbelievable. Apparently, Davey competed against Carmody in the school challenge from 'Ah... Sweet Mystery of Life,' so he must have been a really fast learner. Either that or Carmody's schools were awful.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:35 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Unless maybe the children of Avonlea did not attend schoool until they were seven or eight, so Season 5 was the first season in which Davey went to school? Is that even a possibility? (I don't believe he was featured in the schoolhouse in any prior episodes).
My mother was born in the late 1950's and the public school system in her rural town started kids at the age of 7. So yes, it is a strong possibility. Also, if I remember correctly, Cecily was a level 1 student in The Journey Begins, and she looks to be about 7 or 8 in that episode.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

TLW
Bright Station Arrival

Re: Davey the illiterate

Post by TLW » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 am

In the Anne of Avonlea novel, Davy and Dora did not start school until age 7.