Booth... Prince Charming or Dud?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Booth... Prince Charming or Dud?

Post by Timothy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:27 pm

In the fifth season, the writers attempted to script a romance for Sara Stanley, who ironically spent a lot of time making darn sure everyone else had one. The suitor was Booth Elliot, son of the town minister John Elliot and his wife, town drunk and philosopher Violla Elliot. For some, Booth Elliot is the Prince Charming that rides in on a white horse and rescues Sara from supporting cast mediocrity. For others, he was obnoxiously annoying with a Davey Keith hair cut and no long term impact on the story lines or Sara's future.

Was Booth Sara's prince charming or a disappointing dud with no romantic chemistry or long term impact? Could they have done better?

Annie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Annie » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:12 pm

Complete dud - as Miss Matchmaker, I had hoped to see Sara perhaps have a meaningful relationship of her own, but because the storyline never continued, Booth became an excuse for her rebellion.
And I didn't find the haircut or the accent particularly charming. :?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:33 pm

No, he was not quite Prince Charming; but he wasn't "the shaggy dog" (another phrase Tim's used to describe him ;)), either.

Sara was becoming too much like Aunt Hetty: boring and settled. I think they brought Booth in to try to help Sara return to her free-spirited roots. They had a fling, nothing more. If it were even somewhat serious, IMO, she would've mentioned something about him in "Comings and Goings" in regards to what she was planning to do (study writing in Paris) and whathaveyou.

Personally, I would've liked to have seen her form an attachment (if you will) to Arthur Pettibone. I think they were way more suited to each other than he was to Felicity. He would've been able to look after her affairs--not just in a monetary sense, but in a heart-and-soul-and-mind sense, as well (IMO).
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:41 am

Annie wrote: And I didn't find the haircut or the accent particularly charming. :?
The cake walking was really annoying, I thought.
Shelly wrote: No, he was not quite Prince Charming; but he wasn't "the shaggy dog" (another phrase Tim's used to describe him ), either.

:o Ha! You found me out. I proudly admit it.

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:45 am

Dud. Booth made Sara seem... sensible. I didn't think it was possible for a character to be more obnoxious than Davy... but I was wrong. I think Booth and Sara are proof of what can happen when you become stir crazy in a small town. It's no wonder her character vanished from Avonlea after this episode! I think I would want to disappear, too!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:47 pm

Luckily Booth vanished from Avonlea too and wasn't kept on as a regular. Can you imagine having Davey and Booth both on the show for the next two seasons?

Did anyone get teary when Booth and Hetty shared that sentimental moment reading Hetty's works by the fireplace? Sniff sniff.

Allan
Bright Station Arrival

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:42 pm

I liked booth. He was different, and himself. He was happy, and made Sara happy. He wasn't cultured, but he had spirit.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:28 am

Allan wrote:I liked booth. He was different, and himself. He was happy, and made Sara happy. He wasn't cultured, but he had spirit.
I just didn't buy that. It seemed like all those qualities were forced on the audience in an attempt to make Booth likeable. I suppose they didn't need a dynamic character because Sarah Polley was leaving and that character would meet a dead end, not that there was any significant fan demands to keep him in the series.

Jessicaussie
Pat's Meow

Post by Jessicaussie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:51 pm

I didn't think Booth was great, but I still really enjoyed the episodes about Sara's romance. :) It was better than no romance at all. Haha Maybe she thought so, too. :D

However, my brother thought Booth was pretty funny and interesting. I guess he was in his own way.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:31 am

I remember really liking Booth at the time, but looking back on it, Booth was kinda annoying. Maybe I just liked the fact that Sara had requited love with someone her own age (I don't know about you but I found the whole Zac Morgan thing to be a little gross.), rather than being enamoured with Booth in particular.
Last edited by Gwendolene on Thu May 17, 2007 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Roo18
Harvest Ball Costume Winner

Post by Roo18 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:49 pm

I thought it add to Sara's character because she was not really the main focus of the show anymore, she was the real reason for the series. I enjoyed that Sara was able to find some happiness in her life. It showed that Sara was growing up. Always... back to Booth I through in some ways he was a prince charming by treating her with respect. He would walk her home from school. He had his own character and his own way of doing things. His music was very interesting and different. I like that factor that he was around the same age of Sara which made prefect sense. His hair did not make him look like prince charming. In some ways I would have like Booth to stay in Avonlea but I know that Sara could also do much better for a guy.
"Let's go get some ice cream, before Felix eats it all" - Felicity King
"Such dreams Felix. Where do they go?" - Felicity King

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:21 pm

I saw the Booth episodes a few weeks ago for the first time in ages and I still really like him. Sure, he was a little offbeat and goofy, but I thought his relationship with Sara was sweet.

Lady Jeanne
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Lady Jeanne » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:02 am

I don't think Booth is THAT bad. I like his version of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee"! I've sung that hymn many times, but never since watching that episode. I have a feeling, though, that if I do, I'll be hard pressed to keep a straight face, remembering Felix bobbing his head and all the old gossips' horrified expressions! But his cakewalk WAS annoying, Timothy, you're right about that. You know, he reminds me of Brer Rabbit--the way he talks and walks especially.

hobbie
Saved School Library Funds

Post by hobbie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:18 am

I agree with lady Jeanne,I kind of liked the romance between them.In "entering prince scharming" there are some hilarious scenes: the whole thing with the concert for Markdale,the expressions on the faces of the gossips of Avonlea when he plays with the ensemble in church,...
but the cakewalk was indeed ANOYING!
I will never forget the days of my youth when the waves rippled between my toas....Hetty king

Sara
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Sara » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:51 am

In my opinion, Booth was neither so annoying nor a prince charming and the right guy for Sara. His behavior seemed a little funny to me. It was interesting to see that Sara finally had a love. But because Sara was such a romantic and imaginative person, she needed a boy much better than Booth and a relatinship much better than that. I mean, their relatinship kind of discouraged me. Anyway, maybe they could make it better if they kept him in Avonlea.
"The devil's in most people. Not me, mind you, but most." - Hetty King