RTA vs. Anne of Green Gables

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.

Which of these Sullivan productions do you like better, Road to Avonlea or Anne of Green Gables?

Road to Avonlea
100%
Anne of Green Gables
No votes

Total votes: 11

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

RTA vs. Anne of Green Gables

Post by Timothy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:42 am

This poll is limited to Sullivan productions only, not the books. Thanks.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:59 am

I like RTA better than the Anne movies, but naturally I like the Anne books better than the RTA books. But of the productions, totally RTA!

hobbie
Saved School Library Funds

Post by hobbie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:29 am

Definitely RTA!
I will never forget the days of my youth when the waves rippled between my toas....Hetty king

heartsandflowers
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by heartsandflowers » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:45 am

RTA all the way :D
"Felicity,did I hear you cheering for the other team..."Alec King

Shinnen
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Shinnen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:11 am

The Anne movies is what got me into the RTA series, but then I really liked RTA after watching a few episodes. I think it's because there are more characters that I like in this series, and the King family was interesting.
O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee; I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain, that morn shall tearless be. ~George Matheson

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:32 am

I do believe this poll is bias in favor of Road to Avonlea---since this IS a site dedicated to RTA show.

That said, I didn’t vote. I couldn’t decide between them. I love them both.

I love Anne of Green Gables for what is and it’s familiarity. Growing up, I would often watch it when I was sick. It made those days sick in bed go by faster. It was a safe haven from my troubles.

I loved RTA for it’s depth of characters and good plotlines. I also loved the length of the show (hundreds of hours in Avonlea is always a good thing).

I couldn’t choose between them.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:27 am

I admit that it's not the most scientific poll, but I'm glad RTA is winning. :)

Shinnen

Post by Shinnen » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:44 am

:D I tried to say 'the depth of characters', but the word wouldn't come to me.
I think another reason for choosing RTA is because I like the storyline with the children (while they were children :) ).

I've had good memories watching the Anne movies with my family though, and that makes the Anne movies special to me as well. I don't blame you, Miss Lewis, for not choosing one. :)
O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee; I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain, that morn shall tearless be. ~George Matheson

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:48 am

Shinnen, depth of characters is a good way to put it. This series had great characters. :)

Shinnen

Post by Shinnen » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:49 am

I was quoting Miss Lewis. :)
What made the series special to you, Timothy?

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:24 am

Shinnen wrote:I think another reason for choosing RTA is because I like the storyline with the children (while they were children ).
Yes, those episodes with them as children are great fun to watch.

I always loved that the children on RTA grew up in the show. The characters actually changed into adults as the series went along. It’s something I wish a lot of other shows would do more often and do well.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:24 am

Miss Lewis wrote:I always loved that the children on RTA grew up in the show. The characters actually changed into adults as the series went along. It’s something I wish a lot of other shows would do more often and do well.
Everyone except Daniel; what's up with that??

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:38 am

Shinnen wrote:I was quoting Miss Lewis. :)
Shinnen, there were so many great things it's hard to pin down. The subtle humour early on, the talented actors, Sullivan's artistic view of the setting. All of these things combined. :) But probably, most of all, jackie Burroughs as Hetty King. Even though the stories shifted from Sara to Felicity in importance, Hetty was always the one constant that held the show together.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:17 am

Timothy wrote:
Shinnen wrote:I was quoting Miss Lewis. :)
Shinnen, there were so many great things it's hard to pin down. The subtle humour early on, the talented actors, Sullivan's artistic view of the setting. All of these things combined. :) But probably, most of all, jackie Burroughs as Hetty King. Even though the stories shifted from Sara to Felicity in importance, Hetty was always the one constant that held the show together.
Wow, I never thought about that and Hetty. She really did keep in constant. That is so neat! You are quite observant, Timothy. :)

hobbie
Saved School Library Funds

Post by hobbie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:56 am

That's right Timothy it's really Jackie Burroughs who held the show together!The character develops through the episodes,that's why she is my favourite.When I started looking "an Avonlea christmas" I was disappointed at first because we saw again a very strict Hetty.
I will never forget the days of my youth when the waves rippled between my toas....Hetty king