RTA vs. Anne of Green Gables

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.

Which of these Sullivan productions do you like better, Road to Avonlea or Anne of Green Gables?

Road to Avonlea
100%
Anne of Green Gables
No votes

Total votes: 11

Shinnen
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Shinnen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:23 am

I saw a small video of one of the Avonlea reunions, and Jackie was in it; she's cool. :D
Sometimes it is hard to pin down what makes a show like this special. It's different from most stuff out there. :)
O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee; I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain, that morn shall tearless be. ~George Matheson

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:50 am

That is extremely difficult! I really love both, but I guess RTA has to win in the end for me.

I actually have a childhood friend who loves the Anne movies but can't stand RTA. I've always thought that was a little weird myself.

hobbie
Saved School Library Funds

Post by hobbie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:13 am

Yes Shinnen you are right,i also think that jackie is cool!I also saw a small part of an avonlea reunion.I noticed that the voice of Jackie is a lot different then in RTA.In reality she has a very soft voice,she's a real great actress!
I will never forget the days of my youth when the waves rippled between my toas....Hetty king

Georgiana
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Georgiana » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:03 am

I love AOGG but RTA is so much longer and about so many more characters, you feel more a part of it and so enjoy it more. So as much as I adore AOGG I think I prefer RTA. :D

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Georgiana wrote:I love AOGG but RTA is so much longer and about so many more characters, you feel more a part of it and so enjoy it more. So as much as I adore AOGG I think I prefer RTA.
Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head there... at least, for me, anyway!
irishcolleen wrote:That is extremely difficult! I really love both, but I guess RTA has to win in the end for me.

I actually have a childhood friend who loves the Anne movies but can't stand RTA. I've always thought that was a little weird myself.
What doesn't she like about it?
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Matheson
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Matheson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:24 pm

I think the reason for why I like RTA more is because I always looked forward to seeing the adventures, happy and sad moments of the characters. Because it ran longer, a person felt as if they were a part of the community. It was a nice, comforting place to run to when you felt like you had to escape from the reality of the world for an hour.
"I'm one of this family just as much as Felicity is, and I don't think she need shut me out of everything..." ~ Cecily King from 'The Golden Road'

oldfashionedgirl
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by oldfashionedgirl » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:55 pm

I agree, Matheson. Anne Of Green Gables is my favorite movie but I became much more attached to the RTA characters because you get to watch them grow up over the years.
~ "Oh, Look at that! She doin' a play!" ~ Gus Pike