Where the heck did Hillsdale come from?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Where the heck did Hillsdale come from?

Post by irishcolleen » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:09 am

OK, my season 5 DVDs arrived on Monday. I haven't seen most of these episodes in years and I've been watching seasons 1 through 4 a lot lately. One thing I've noticed is that the characters keep mentioning a town called Hillsdale. Did it just pop up out of nowhere? Isn't it a bit strange for a town that wasn't mentioned at ALL in seasons 1 through 4 to suddenly be the town on everyone's tongues?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:34 am

I guess maybe they just wanted another town besides Carmody and Summerside. I don't think Hillsdale is in the Montgomery literature. I don't think they ever used Grafton, which was in many of the Chronicles stories that were lifted for the series.

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:22 am

Hmmm...I seem to remember Grafton being mentioned at some point, but it might have been in the Anne films...

I can understand them wanting to mention a different town but after years of hearing about Markdale it seems a bit weird. I like the mention of North Rustico though because there are many shots of it throughout the series.

And I guess it's the frequency with which they're suddenly mentioning Hillsdale that bothers me. It's mentioned at least once in every episode so far in season 5, I believe...it's just too much!

Then again, maybe I'm being too nit-picky!

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:43 pm

irishcolleen wrote:Hmmm...I seem to remember Grafton being mentioned at some point, but it might have been in the Anne films...
I do, too! Maybe it was during the sewing circle in The Materializing of Duncan McTavish. A lot of that is verbatim from other works, like Anne of Avonlea. I maybe thinking of another gossipy scene from one of the early episodes, but that's the one that comes to mind.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar