Gus' fate...

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Elizabeth
Found work at the Cannery

Gus' fate...

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:20 pm

Does it bother anyone what RTA did with Gus' character? Was i really necessary to stick him in a busboy suit and then take away his eyesight? I always felt that Gus' blindness took away from the show, rather than added to it. And he was so intelligent- he should have gone to college!

Also, I always felt that they completely turned around Hetty's character. I find it absurd that her straight-laced character would have been writing best-selling romantic novels! The same goes with Jasper- the old Jasper would never have left Avonlea for England without Olivia (see "Love many be Blind... but the Neighbors Ain't."

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:31 am

I agree! Gus's character was exciting and adventurous. Then they stuck him in the hotel, where he didn't belong, and all that 'sea venturing' excitement was sucked out of his story. It was decided somehow to centralize many of the stories and characters at the White Sands Hotel. So... Gus became a hotel clerk and all the Sea Ghost stories vanished. I know that Gus needed to provide for Felicity, but there could have been alternative jobs that were more consistent with his character.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:12 pm

And did anyone else notice that after season 2 we never see Gus play the fiddle again. (Can you see where my obsesion lies? LOL) I tried to get my roommate hooked on RTA for a while, she watched a couple of the 1st episodes and then lost interest. Then she saw part of the episode where Hetty has her artistic crisis (with the wild hair and all) and she was SHOCKED she couldn't believe it was the same woman!
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:37 am

Gwendolene wrote:And did anyone else notice that after season 2 we never see Gus play the fiddle again.
Yes, that's irritating. What happened to all the (paraphrasing) 'Gus loves his fiddle' and how he was depressed without it? (It's like Clapton without his guitar, Zamfir without his Pan Flute... Actually, Zamfir without his pan flute might be a good thing.) Wouldn't it have been a great scene in 'Return to Me' if Hetty handed a blind and dejected Gus his fiddle to play? I guess a nosy furniture salesman that we never see again was so much more effective in bringing Gus out of his slump.

(Can you see where my obsesion lies? LOL) I tried to get my roommate hooked on RTA for a while, she watched a couple of the 1st episodes and then lost interest.
It's a good thing you didn't start her out with 'Tangled Web,' 'Christmas in June,' and 'From Away.' You would have lost her forever. :wink:
Then she saw part of the episode where Hetty has her artistic crisis (with the wild hair and all) and she was SHOCKED she couldn't believe it was the same woman!
Yes, I hear that all the time! My all time peeve (hair pulling out in frustration) of the series was Hetty's terrible transformation! She might need therapy after seeing that. I recommend the second season combo 'How Kissing Was Discovered' and 'Aunt Hetty's Ordeal' for newcomers to the series. Yes, it's out of order, but these episodes have a charming allure to them. I would also recommend that she take notes and write an essay on the greatness of these two episodes.

:P

Jessicaussie
Pat's Meow

Post by Jessicaussie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:14 pm

Actually, in the Season 5 episode "Otherwise Engaged", Gus is shown playing his fiddle ( very shortly ). But I heartily agree that he should have been playing it a lot more throughout the series! I love the fiddle, so I really noticed this omission.

alecking
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Gus is blind

Post by alecking » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:54 am

There is our world and the real world. Gus was written in as blind to justify his being away from Avonlea so long. Michael M. wanted a higher pay scale and didn't like the way Sully was using his character. Be thankful he agreed to do the last two episodes.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:24 am

I love that idea about Gus being handed his fiddle when he is blind. That could have moved me to tears. Great idea Timothy. That also might have change my mind about the whole episode...I though it was real cheap of the writer to make him blind. I would rather they had put him in a prison camp or had him find Captain Cane (what ever happen to him anyways...that storyline was lost somewhere...is there a thread talking about that here somewhere--if not it would be worth a thread discussion)

When I was younger, I didn't mind Gus's character chanaging. But Now as I've returned to the series, and seeing the parts of seaon 2 again---I like the old Gus better. He lost some of his charm. Gus's charater lost something---something that we all had fallen in love with but vainshed when he started the hotel job.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:40 am

I know what you mean Miss Lewis. Gus went from a swashbuckling adventurer eluding fugatives and tyranical sea captains, to the excitement of delivering towels to the hotel linen closet. Yawwwn.

Miss Lewis wrote:...I would rather they had put him in a prison camp or had him find Captain Cane (what ever happen to him anyways...that storyline was lost somewhere...is there a thread talking about that here somewhere--if not it would be worth a thread discussion)
Good idea. Let's start one

Roo18
Harvest Ball Costume Winner

Post by Roo18 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:36 pm

I enjoyed watching Gus Pike throughout the series. I found that his life was really interesting, espically because his past was somewhat mysterious to the viewers. I would have like to know what happen to his mother, and Captian Crane. I would have like to heard the information about what he found out about his past. I would have like to see Gus play his fiddle more during the series. I would have not had Gus blind by the shipwreck, they could have decided another way for Gus to come back to Avonlea under some different situation. You know when you watch the show that Gus was a hard worker because he would do just about anything to survive in order to feed himself, for example he work on a pig farm by feeding the pigs. At the start of the show you see that he was all alone in the world and then by the end of the series, he was excepted into the King family as brother and son.
"Let's go get some ice cream, before Felix eats it all" - Felicity King
"Such dreams Felix. Where do they go?" - Felicity King

alecking

Post by alecking » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:06 am

Timothy wrote:I know what you mean Miss Lewis. Gus went from a swashbuckling adventurer eluding fugatives and tyranical sea captains, to the excitement of delivering towels to the hotel linen closet. Yawwwn.
I know what you mean Timothy. It's called growing up. Love will do that to a boy.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:24 am

alecking wrote: I know what you mean Timothy. It's called growing up. Love will do that to a boy.
Do you think that if Felicity loves Gus, she should let him be who he is... A swashbuckling sailer and adventurer?

alecking

Post by alecking » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Tim:
>Do you think that if Felicity loves Gus, she should let him be who he is... A swashbuckling sailor and adventurer?<

Do you think Gus loves the open sea more than Felicity? I don't think Gus would want to marry her and leave her. If that be the case then she's better off with Stuart IMHO. He would build a house-of-dreams for her with his bare hands and never, ever leave her.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:32 am

alecking wrote:Do you think Gus loves the open sea more than Felicity? I don't think Gus would want to marry her and leave her. If that be the case then she's better off with Stuart IMHO. He would build a house-of-dreams for her with his bare hands and never, ever leave her.
Gus wouldn't leave Felicity for good. He would go to work on a sailing vessel and return home periodically. Charlotte Aime's didn't mind that her husband was away at sea because it was his job and what he wanted to do. I don't think Felicity ever said that Gus couldn't be a sailor.

oldfashionedgirl

Post by oldfashionedgirl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:52 pm

I saw "How Kissing Was Discovered" and "Aunt Hetty's Ordeal" many years ago but didn't see the other episodes until this year. I didn't even know that the series had continued but I was happy to find out that Gus was still around. I must admit that I was surprised that his character didn't become a famous musician (as Felicity suggested in AHO)
~ "Oh, Look at that! She doin' a play!" ~ Gus Pike

alecking

Post by alecking » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:35 am

oldfashionedgirl wrote:I saw "How Kissing Was Discovered" and "Aunt Hetty's Ordeal" many years ago but didn't see the other episodes until this year. I didn't even know that the series had continued but I was happy to find out that Gus was still around. I must admit that I was surprised that his character didn't become a famous musician (as Felicity suggested in AHO)
WOW!! I envy you, indeed. I've been viewing Avonlea for over 18 yrs. now and know much of the characters lines by heart. As much as I love the series, I can never relive the utmost joy of turning on the Disney Channel and watching ALL NEW EPISODES for the very first time. Every Sunday at 8:00 PM, my life was on hold for about 45 min. I'm soon to be 65 and for the love of Avonlea, old age memory lost is not a bad thing.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y