Gus' fate...

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Re: Gus' fate...

Post by Miss Lewis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:24 am

Does anyone have any ideas of a job that would have better suited Gus?
Timothy wrote:In my opinion, it was more respectable for Gus to work in the fishing/shipping industry, one of the biggest industries next to agriculture on PEI, than as a "fumbling" bellhop, catering to the demands of the pampered Disney guest stars.
I laugh at the “Pampered Disney guest stars” comment—reflecting back they do seem a little pampered, don’t they. But I am not upset at Disney for the requirements they put on the show because if It weren’t for the Disney channel airing RTA those many years ago, I may never had seen it or know it existed.
Timothy wrote:I think it's important for characters to develop and grow throughout the series; but some character development goes against the nature of the character and I think this was the case with Gus working at the White Sands. Felix's character benefited from working at the hotel. The character had business aspirations and could come up with schemes like turning the King farm house into a lodge in Total Eclipse. Felix's character was suited for this, while I think Gus Pike's character was at a disadvantage. I got the impression that it just wasn't him.
On a realistic level, the White Sands was a nice job at the time with a good boss and clean working environment. But for dramatic television, I would rather see a rebellious Gus fighting against the corrupt greedy bossman McCorkndale.
Shelly wrote:Gus and Felix were, very much, like brothers. Aside from school, having them work together gave them another chance to interact, and without Sara and Felicity's company. Also, if Felix didn't end up working at the White Sands, he also wouldn't have had Simon Tremayne as a mentor/secondary father figure, nor would he have learned he had a knack for the hospitality business.
Timothy and Shelly nailed it in these comments. For Felix, the hotel was the perfect setting to develop his character. Through the whole series it is clear that Felix doesn’t want to be a farmer. The hotel gives him an outlet to discover what he wants to do with his life. Gus Pike is at the hotel to please other people--Felicity and her family (Hetty included). Except for in Otherwise engaged, the writers assumed that Gus Pike was happy with his job. I don’t think he would be. If Writers had shown Gus more dissatisfied with the job or him looking for employment elsewhere—I would accept Gus working at the hotel better. When Gus Pike left at the end of otherwise engaged, it fit perfectly with his character. He wasn’t getting Felicity and so he had no reason to stay.

I think Gus Pike was a very bright fellow but sometimes the writers played on his “uneducated” status too much and made him look dumber then he was.
hannikan wrote:I think it made sense for Gus's character to work in a place where he would not be embarrassed of smelling like fish. It made sense both because he wanted to court Felicity who was a bit squeamish about things like that and because he wanted to impress Hetty (and by extension the whole community). I think the latter is a very important point because as early as Aunt Hetty's Ordeal Gus wanted to become a gentleman. That was really his main goal.
Good point! Felicity won’t want to date someone who smelled like fish. For that reason alone (regardless of pay), Gus would have looked for other employment.

Gus Pike did wanted to be a gentleman and have a family. Those two core traits stayed with him through-out the whole series.

I am still dissatisfied by the Gus Pike working at the hotel but with the hotel being a central place in RTA later seasons, I can’t come up with another job that Gus Pike would have been happy with. I agree with Timothy statement-- “some character development goes against the nature of the character and I think this was the case with Gus working at the White Sands.”

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 am

Oh and I wanted to add that I am impressed by everyone who has added to the discussion in the last few days (hannkian, Shelly and Timothy). This has been a good discussion. It has brought up some ideas that I hadn’t thought of before! This why I always randomly keep popping back to this forum, I always like the in-depth discussions that we have here.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Miss Lewis wrote:Through the whole series it is clear that Felix doesn’t want to be a farmer. The hotel gives him an outlet to discover what he wants to do with his life.
Well, when he's a child he just doesn't like work much in general. He just wants to play and sleep and eat like most little boys. It isn't until he works at the hotel that he shows that it isn't that he can't work hard, it's that the work has to interest him. I'm not sure I always thought that Felix wouldn't be a farmer when he was younger though.
Miss Lewis wrote: Gus Pike is at the hotel to please other people--Felicity and her family (Hetty included). Except for in Otherwise engaged, the writers assumed that Gus Pike was happy with his job. I don’t think he would be. If the writers had shown Gus more dissatisfied with the job or him looking for employment elsewhere—I would accept Gus working at the hotel better.
I don't think the writers make him look happy or unhappy particularly working at the hotel. They're pretty neutral, it's a job and it's a job that he believes is going to get him where he wants to go. He's going to learn to be a gentleman from being around gentlemen. That will win him favor in the eyes of his beloved teacher (who got him the job) and from the girl he wants to woo. I think there is a subtle hint throughout his time working there, however, that he is learning that he is actually more of a gentleman than many of the guests. It's especially evident in OE that the guests (not any of them U.S./Disney actors either) are spoiled, unreasonable and annoying. But there's also Mr. Boddy and the other impatient guests in Fathers and Sons. I think it comes to a head in OE where he realizes that if being a gentleman includes being like these ppl, he's less interested in it. In addition, Felicity's priorities have changed. She no longer looks down on his humble background and he's already won her heart.
Miss Lewis wrote:I When Gus Pike left at the end of otherwise engaged, it fit perfectly with his character. He wasn’t getting Felicity and so he had no reason to stay.
I think that's oversimplifying things a bit. She wanted to marry him and was willing to give up her dream to have him stay but he insisted that they both take time to find themselves. and he of course was leaving a lot behind besides Felicity. Avonlea had become his home, he was leaving his good friend/lil brother, Felix, and his father and mother figures, Alec and Hetty. I see his decision as more of a journey of figuring what his dreams were since he said himself he didn't really have any (now that he saw that being a gentleman wasn't all it was cracked up to be).
Miss Lewis wrote:I think Gus Pike was a very bright fellow but sometimes the writers played on his “uneducated” status too much and made him look dumber then he was.
Any examples? I can't think of any besides DASN. I think, in general, he often saves the day with his resourcefulness. (Helping Alec with the cow and with Digger in IAVR) He's a mentor to Felix and often a voice of wisdom when the children have concerns or problems. (Evelyn, Fathers and Sons) I don't think he's made to seem dumb at all.
ImageImageImageImage

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Miss Lewis wrote:Oh and I wanted to add that I am impressed by everyone who has added to the discussion in the last few days (hannkian, Shelly and Timothy). This has been a good discussion. It has brought up some ideas that I hadn’t thought of before! This why I always randomly keep popping back to this forum, I always like the in-depth discussions that we have here.
I agree! :D
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:40 pm

hannikan wrote:I don't think the writers make [Gus] look happy or unhappy particularly working at the hotel. They're pretty neutral, it's a job and it's a job that he believes is going to get him where he wants to go. He's going to learn to be a gentleman from being around gentlemen. That will win him favor in the eyes of his beloved teacher (who got him the job) and from the girl he wants to woo.
Exactly. A means to an end.
hannikan also wrote:I think there is a subtle hint throughout his time working there, however, that he is learning that he is actually more of a gentleman than many of the guests. It's especially evident in OE that the guests (not any of them U.S./Disney actors either) are spoiled, unreasonable and annoying. But there's also Mr. Boddy and the other impatient guests in Fathers and Sons. I think it comes to a head in OE where he realizes that if being a gentleman includes being like these ppl, he's less interested in it. In addition, Felicity's priorities have changed. She no longer looks down on his humble background and he's already won her heart.
*nods* Plus, I think Felicity recognized it some very early on, even though her own priorities weren't exactly trying to capture Gus's heart. (I forget the exact quote; it's in HKWD, I believe. Something about how inside of Gus is the heart of a gentleman. (I remember the word "vagabond" being used in there at some point.))
Miss Lewis wrote:I When Gus Pike left at the end of otherwise engaged, it fit perfectly with his character. He wasn’t getting Felicity and so he had no reason to stay.
I also think that's oversimplifying it.
hannikan, in response, wrote:I think that's oversimplifying things a bit. She wanted to marry him and was willing to give up her dream to have him stay but he insisted that they both take time to find themselves. and he of course was leaving a lot behind besides Felicity. Avonlea had become his home, he was leaving his good friend/lil brother, Felix, and his father and mother figures, Alec and Hetty. I see his decision as more of a journey of figuring what his dreams were since he said himself he didn't really have any (now that he saw that being a gentleman wasn't all it was cracked up to be).
Felicity was willing to give up medical school so she could be with Gus. However, when Gus noted how excited and exhilirated she was helping out with the delivery of that baby, he knew that she would, ultimately, be unhappy if she didn't get to pursue it. Plus, after working for as long as he did at the White Sands, Gus had lost some sense of identity, IMO; and he didn't know what his ambitions were. By leaving Avonlea and his new-found "family", and giving Felicity the chance to do something she wanted, he gave himself permission to find himself again.
Miss Lewis wrote:I think Gus Pike was a very bright fellow but sometimes the writers played on his “uneducated” status too much and made him look dumber then he was.
hannikan wrote:Any examples? I can't think of any besides DASN. I think, in general, he often saves the day with his resourcefulness. (Helping Alec with the cow and with Digger in IAVR) He's a mentor to Felix and often a voice of wisdom when the children have concerns or problems. (Evelyn, Fathers and Sons) I don't think he's made to seem dumb at all.
I can't think of any examples other than "A Dark and Stormy Night", either. Usually, he's portrayed as being "wise beyond his years" (as Hetty once said to him).

Another yay for good discussions! :mrgreen:
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Shelly wrote: *nods* Plus, I think Felicity recognized it some very early on, even though her own priorities weren't exactly trying to capture Gus's heart. (I forget the exact quote; it's in HKWD, I believe. Something about how inside of Gus is the heart of a gentleman. (I remember the word "vagabond" being used in there at some point.))
Mm, I think it's "beneath your vagabond clothes beats the heart of a true gentleman." I think that is when Gus starts to fall for her, actually. And it makes him think he's got a shot with her if she really thinks that. Which over time, she does.

Shelly wrote:Felicity was willing to give up medical school so she could be with Gus. However, when Gus noted how excited and exhilirated she was helping out with the delivery of that baby, he knew that she would, ultimately, be unhappy if she didn't get to pursue it. Plus, after working for as long as he did at the White Sands, Gus had lost some sense of identity, IMO; and he didn't know what his ambitions were. By leaving Avonlea and his new-found "family", and giving Felicity the chance to do something she wanted, he gave himself permission to find himself again.
Absolutely, Felicity realizing a passion for medicine made him realize that he didn't really have a passion and that he wanted to have one. He decided to "take some time to find his place in the world." Of course, he ends up finding that his place is in Avonlea, essentially being a teacher/father to children who were orphaned like he was.[/quote]
Shelly wrote:I can't think of any examples other than "A Dark and Stormy Night", either. Usually, he's portrayed as being "wise beyond his years" (as Hetty once said to him).
That's in the Dinner. She says, "Oh you're wise for your years, Gus Pike." There may be other times she says that, too.
ImageImageImageImage

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:35 pm

I was thinking about it and I've decided that I think I would have wanted Gus to start working at the hotel later than he did. Basically for one year instead of a year and a half. Instead of starting there in the middle of S3, I think he could have started at the end of S3. I'm thinking maybe he could have started in High Society, instead of DASN. Or another episode completely that would have been later in the season. Then he would have worked at the cannery longer and we could have maybe seen him stand up to McCorkadale and quit because he was being taken advantage of/not paid enough/couldn't move up. I think it would be best for this not to happen in Aunt Janet Rebels because that episode was about Janet's courage/she and Sara's desire to help the Craigs. So perhaps instead of DASN we could have had an episode where Gus is frustrated working at the cannery because McCorkadale is a jerk and Hetty gets involved getting him a job at the hotel.
ImageImageImageImage

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 am

hann
hannikan wrote:I don't think the writers make him look happy or unhappy particularly working at the hotel. They're pretty neutral, it's a job and it's a job that he believes is going to get him where he wants to go. He's going to learn to be a gentleman from being around gentlemen.
You’re right...it was neutral but I think Gus Pike SHOULD have been unhappy with the Job.
hannikan wrote:I think there is a subtle hint throughout his time working there, however, that he is learning that he is actually more of a gentleman than many of the guests.
Good point
hannikan wrote:I think that's oversimplifying things a bit. She wanted to marry him and was willing to give up her dream to have him stay but he insisted that they both take time to find themselves. and he of course was leaving a lot behind besides Felicity. Avonlea had become his home, he was leaving his good friend/lil brother, Felix, and his father and mother figures, Alec and Hetty. I see his decision as more of a journey of figuring what his dreams were since he said himself he didn't really have any (now that he saw that being a gentleman wasn't all it was cracked up to be).
Gus Pike left because Felicity wasn’t ready to settle down. Yes, by leaving he could search out his other dreams but he would have stayed at the hotel job and married Felicity if she had said yes I am willing to get married now. His main dream was to have a family with Felicity—everything else—including where he wanted to work--came secondary.
Shelly wrote:Felicity was willing to give up medical school so she could be with Gus. However, when Gus noted how excited and exhilirated she was helping out with the delivery of that baby, he knew that she would, ultimately, be unhappy if she didn't get to pursue it. Plus, after working for as long as he did at the White Sands, Gus had lost some sense of identity, IMO; and he didn't know what his ambitions were. By leaving Avonlea and his new-found "family", and giving Felicity the chance to do something she wanted, he gave himself permission to find himself again.
He knew that she had a passion and she needed to follow it through to wherever it led her, even if that meant he wasn’t going to be part of her life. Gus knew what he wanted—he wanted a family with Felicity—when that that came crashing down in Otherwise engaged —he had to go to plan B. The problem was he had no plan B. He didn’t have anything else that he wanted to do. When you really want something, you work very hard to get it but what happens if that dream can’t be reach? What happens then? Some people go into an identify crisis. Gus knew what he wanted—he only lost his sense of self AFTER Felicity wanted to put off marriage for awhile.
Miss Lewis wrote:Miss Lewis wrote:I think Gus Pike was a very bright fellow but sometimes the writers played on his “uneducated” status too much and made him look dumber then he was.
hannikan wrote:Any examples? I can't think of any besides DASN. I think, in general, he often saves the day with his resourcefulness. (Helping Alec with the cow and with Digger in IAVR) He's a mentor to Felix and often a voice of wisdom when the children have concerns or problems. (Evelyn, Fathers and Sons) I don't think he's made to seem dumb at all.
Yes, Gus was wise in those examples (especially in Evelyn—I love that episode). The Only other episode, where he acted unwisely, that comes to mind (other then DASN) is Hearts and Flowers. I thought he acted a little stupid in taking Felix's advice it trying to get Suzette to like Arthur. So I was wrong to say that the writers played on his “Uneducated” status—rather they played on his weakness for a pretty face.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:00 am

Hannikan, I like that the idea of Gus Pike starting work at the Hotel during High Society episode. It would have fit into the theme of Gus pike trying to impress Felicity. However, since I like High Society episode for how it is, Gus getting a job at the hotel would have to be a very small part in the whole episode. Though I still vote for no hotel work for Gus Pike---I still would rather see him do something more adventurous.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 am

Miss Lewis wrote:Though I still vote for no hotel work for Gus Pike---I still would rather see him do something more adventurous.
I agree with this. I think, in addition to the brief work at the cannery, Gus should have been working on a shipping vessel. This would have been a consistent progression to his later work on the Captain Aims ship in RoGP and his fateful employment on the Maid of Calais. It would have allowed the character to remain mysterious, have ties to all sorts of interesting maritime characters that were part of the trade, have exciting adventures that tie into the intriguing island sea myths, and provide an explanation for occasional absences. It also probably would have made Mahonen happy that the integrity of his character was being maintained.

The writer that steered Gus back in a natural direction in was, not surprisingly, Heather Conkie. The same writer, along with Matthews, who as Hannikan mentioned, wanted Mahonen's feedback about his character. Conkie removed Gus from the hotel business in 'Otherwise Engaged.' You may correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Conkie who had to explain that he joined as an employee to impress Felicity, something a new writer like Hart Hanson may not have considered when he placed Gus at the hotel in DaSN.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Miss Lewis wrote: He knew that she had a passion and she needed to follow it through to wherever it led her, even if that meant he wasn’t going to be part of her life. Gus knew what he wanted—he wanted a family with Felicity—when that that came crashing down in Otherwise engaged —he had to go to plan B.
But I guess I didn't understand it to have come crashing down. They still expressed to one another that they loved each other. I don't think he thought they wouldn't have a family in the future. I think there was still very much the understanding that they would always be a part of each other's lives. Maybe it's hard for me to not think that because I am so aware of what happens soon after. I just don't think Felicity ever gave the impression that she didn't want to marry him only that she wanted to wait.
Miss Lewis wrote:Miss Lewis wrote:I think Gus Pike was a very bright fellow but sometimes the writers played on his “uneducated” status too much and made him look dumber then he was.
Miss Lewis wrote:Yes, Gus was wise in those examples (especially in Evelyn—I love that episode). The Only other episode, where he acted unwisely, that comes to mind (other then DASN) is Hearts and Flowers. I thought he acted a little stupid in taking Felix's advice it trying to get Suzette to like Arthur. So I was wrong to say that the writers played on his “Uneducated” status—rather they played on his weakness for a pretty face.
Yes that I agree they did. Again I think that makes sense and they really showed most of the young male characters to have a weakness for pretty faces (Felix, Davy)
ImageImageImageImage

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:16 pm

Timothy wrote:
Miss Lewis wrote:Though I still vote for no hotel work for Gus Pike---I still would rather see him do something more adventurous.
I agree with this. I think, in addition to the brief work at the cannery, Gus should have been working on a shipping vessel. This would have been a consistent progression to his later work on the Captain Aims ship in RoGP and his fateful employment on the Maid of Calais. It would have allowed the character to remain mysterious, have ties to all sorts of interesting maritime characters that were part of the trade, have exciting adventures that tie into the intriguing island sea myths, and provide an explanation for occasional absences. It also probably would have made Mahonen happy that the integrity of his character was being maintained.
I think that would probably have been hard logistically. It would have meant taking the show outside of Avonlea a lot more often which most fans have said they wouldn't have liked. Avonlea is not a port so it would have had to take place in Halifax or something. I doubt even Charlottetown or Summerside had shipyards then. That's why he has to leave PEI to work on one, right? If Summerside had a shipyard that might have been interesting to show him working on a ship while Felicity's there working with Dr. Jones. But I liked how Gus slowly became more woven into the social fabric of Avonlea. And I think that's important. Plus I would have missed him mentoring Felix and being like a big brother to the King kids. I actually think they should have shown the villagers giving Gus a harder time for longer (than just in Sea Ghost) because I think that would have been more realistic. It would have been nice to show Hetty have a confrontation with Rachel or Clara Potts where she defends Gus more strongly than in Sea Ghost.
Timothy wrote: The writer that steered Gus back in a natural direction in was, not surprisingly, Heather Conkie. The same writer, along with Matthews, who as Hannikan mentioned, wanted Mahonen's feedback about his character. Conkie removed Gus from the hotel business in 'Otherwise Engaged.' You may correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Conkie who had to explain that he joined as an employee to impress Felicity, something a new writer like Hart Hanson may not have considered when he placed Gus at the hotel in DaSN.
I think DASN implies he's doing it to impress Hetty. I think it's in High Society that he have the first indication he is also doing it to impress Felicity (him learning the table setting and etiquette with Sara, etc)
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:47 pm

hannikan wrote:I think that would probably have been hard logistically. It would have meant taking the show outside of Avonlea a lot more often which most fans have said they wouldn't have liked.
I don't think it would be that hard. You simply use the dock in the waters behind the cannery. A boat drops an anchor and delivers crabs/fish to the cannery. The story lines with Gus could have occured with his shore leave. When he was out at sea, it explains his absence.
hannikan wrote:Plus I would have missed him mentoring Felix and being like a big brother to the King kids.
I don't think the hotel was the only way that Gus could have bonded with Felix or the King family. Gus could have been a mentor to Felix in other ways and it didn't necessarily mean working at the hotel. Gus could teach Felix about life while going ice fishing or going sailing together. It's interesting that Felix ends up choosing an occupation in the last episode that requires going out to sea for long periods. I guess his future didn't lie at the White Sands either.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah, that's true Gus could have worked on smaller boats instead of larger ships. I was thinking you meant larger ships. If it was small fishing boats I don't think they would have been sailing far, probably just around PEI. He probably would have just been gone for days or maybe weeks at a time. I'm thinking it could have been nice to show as sort of an Aunt Janet Rebels part 2 (not immediately after AJR though, probably late in S3) a Gus Rebels against McCorkadale. If it was in S3 Felicity probably would have been embarrassed about this. If it was later, in season 4, she would probably have thought he was the biggest hero. He could get the other workers to protest against him again and maybe get Janet and Hetty involved to help get a new owner. Then that new owner could see Gus as a mover and a shaker and give him opportunities for advancement. Maybe then he'd have him in charge of the boats that went out to catch the fish (I think Gus actually said in Aunt Hetty's Ordeal that he did sometimes help catch the fish but that might have just been right at the shore of Avonlea). I could see that as an alternative to the hotel for him. Still might have been worried about Hetty and Felicity complaining he smelled like fish though :lol: And it might have stepped a little bit on the storyline about Olivia and Jasper's running of the cannery.

They probably could have worked Felix into the story line somehow. I do think after serving in the military and seeing combat Felix might have returned to the familiarity of work in the hotel. Personally I favor the idea of him being a chef, not the manager/owner. I think the hotel worked well for Felix's storyline (esp his rel with Mr. Tremayne) and I wonder how he would have ended up working there if Gus wasn't there. He would have needed to know someone, esp since he was so young when he started there. Maybe Peter could have reappeared and been working there. :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Timothy wrote:It's interesting that Felix ends up choosing an occupation in the last episode that requires going out to sea for long periods. I guess his future didn't lie at the White Sands either.
I'm not sure I agree with this.

Felix left the White Sands because--at the time--he was bored with it; and he wanted some adventure in his life again. I mean, he worked there from the age of thirteen to nearly eighteen. Five years of either work (hotel and any farm chores he had to do) or school all day nearly every day probably took its toll. (I probably would've gotten bored, too!) Also keep in mind the writers were setting up for WW1 somewhat.
hannikan wrote:I do think after serving in the military and seeing combat Felix might have returned to the familiarity of work in the hotel.
Agreed. I doubt--especially after seeing all that he did, and after sustaining an injury (lord knows how serious it really was)--he would want to return to the frontlines. Plus, I think going back to what he knew (hotel work), and to work for someone he knew (Simon Tremayne) would've been somewhat of a comfort, and a way to re-enter civilian life.
hannikan also wrote:Personally I favor the idea of him being a chef, not the manager/owner. I think the hotel worked well for Felix's storyline (esp his rel with Mr. Tremayne) and I wonder how he would have ended up working there if Gus wasn't there. He would have needed to know someone, esp since he was so young when he started there. Maybe Peter could have reappeared and been working there. :wink:
That's a good point. Also, when he started, Simon Tremayne wasn't in partnership with Hetty, either. (In fact, "Heirs and Graces"--which was when Felix started at the hotel--also marked Simon's first appearance.) However, he did have a bit of a rapport with Chef Pierre, as seen in "High Society". So he would've known someone who worked there either way.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone