Gus' fate...

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Re: Gus' fate...

Post by hannikan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Gosia wrote:Hi all,
I'm new here. I grew up wathcing RTA (back when it was just Avonlea) on the Disney channel when I was 13, back in 1990. I begged and pleaded with my mom to subscribe to the Disney channel just so I could watch this incredible show with ties to PEI. (I had grown up watching AOGG). I thought it a delightful family show and loved Gus, Sarah, and Felix. I grew to like Felicity though it took a while to like her and in the end came to love her as well. Also, Felix and his friendship with Izzy was nice. I stopped watching after season 3 or 4- during high school for some reason. So, I never got to see how the series ended. I recently rediscovered RTA and have watched the last 2 seasons. I liked the way they ended it, it was kind of bittersweet having Gus lose his sight though. I am glad to have had the memories of this show growing up and am glad that there is a board that is just as into it as I was!

Thanks,
Margaret :)
Hi! You and I have very similar stories and are about the same age. I was a year behind you so I saw through S6 before I went to college. So I didn't know how things ended until about a year ago either! No one would watch it with me there and I didn't have my own TV. Welcome to the board!
ImageImageImageImage

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by weatherman15 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:10 am

I know a lot of people here really don't like Gus working for the White Sands. I wasn't much for it either because I liked the mysterious nature of his character during season 2. That's part of the reason I really liked "The Return of Gus Pike." It gets Gus' character back down to his roots. It's too bad we don't see him again until the end of the series. But I wouldn't discount Gus' role in the hotel either. Don't forget that Gus really wanted to improve his manners and his education almost from the start. So getting a regular job in a hotel would be part of his evolution. Sure he could have continued to work at the cannery, but the cannery was only seasonal work. But I can see why many you didn't really like it.

Though Gus went blind at the end of the series, he did have surgery for it. And though he still couldn't see immediately, the doctor said that there could be improvement in his eyesight over time. So for all we know, Gus may have regained some sight years after the series ended.

I do wish we saw the fiddle more after season 2. We do catch a couple more fiddle moments in "Heirs and Graces" and "Otherwise Engaged" if I'm not mistaken. But there certainly could have been more. And I, too, like the idea of Hetty giving a blind Gus the fiddle in the end of the series. It would be a nice reversal from when Hetty took Gus' fiddle from him early in the series.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Welcome back Weatherman.

I'm glad you referred to Return of Gus Pike, because that episode demonstrated an excellent way for Gus to improve his manners/etiquette and still maintain the integrity of the character. This could and probably should have been done instead of the hotel scenario. The manners and etiquette Gus learned under Captain Aimes (and his wife Charlotte) were no less sophisticated than what he learned under Tramayne (This is the type of scenerio I meant when I suggested Gus work on a boat/ship). I could even see Gus moving up the chains into the Captain role years later and I don't think Felicity would see any less in an impeccably dressed gentlemanly ship captain. It also probably would have kept Mahonen happy.

In light of this example, I don't believe the hotel was the only way that Gus Pike could have improved himself. I still maintain that the purpose of putting Gus in the hotel was to centralize the characters in one location; and as Sullivan has admited, they really had no long-term idea where they were going with the characters anyway.

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by weatherman15 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:50 am

I'm glad you referred to Return of Gus Pike, because that episode demonstrated an excellent way for Gus to improve his manners/etiquette and still maintain the integrity of the character. This could and probably should have been done instead of the hotel scenario. The manners and etiquette Gus learned under Captain Aimes (and his wife Charlotte) were no less sophisticated than what he learned under Tramayne (This is the type of scenerio I meant when I suggested Gus work on a boat/ship). I could even see Gus moving up the chains into the Captain role years later and I don't think Felicity would see any less in an impeccably dressed gentlemanly ship captain. It also probably would have kept Mahonen happy.
I've never thought of it that way... but I completely agree with you! This would have been a great direction for Gus! I think your scenario would have been a more natural route for Gus!

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:06 pm

I didn't mind Gus working at the White Sands because it did fit with his character and how he wanted to better himself for Felicity. However, this period of his life lasted much longer than it should have. "Otherwise Engaged" would have been a perfect cliff hanger for Season 4 with Gus realizing that the hotel life just wasn't for him and his decision to go back to sea. I have to admit that after everything Felicity put Gus through in Season 4, there was a part of me that wanted Gus to kick Felicity to the curb so she would realize just how much she had taken him for granted over the years. And wouldn't that have been an interesting transition into the "The Return of Gus Pike"? With Gus showing a genuine interest in Charlotte Ames instead of "Felicity's Grand Misunderstanding"? If "Return of Gus Pike" had been the first episode of Season 5 instead of Season 6, the writers would have had an entire season to to develop a conclusion to the Captain Crane story and bring Felicity and Gus's romance full circle. Then with Gus lost at Sea at the end of Season 5, Arthur would have been free to swoop to Felicity's side instead of Stewart. Oh the possibilities...

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:40 pm

I didn't think Gus's time at the hotel lasted too long because it really developed Gus and Felix's relationship. I think the White Sands episodes could have been more spread out in S4, they were very clumped together. I'm not sure what manners Gus would have learned from Captain and Charlotte Ames (how to flirt with married women behind their husband's back? The art of making strawberry tarts?-the latter seems more suited to Felix's talents...). Gus was already the man he was going to be by that point, he was basically waiting for Felicity to completely figure out the woman she wanted to be. Considering the age difference and Gus's worldly experiences vs Felicity's sheltered life, that was fitting. I agree that OE could have happened earlier, but I would have done near the beginning of S5, maybe following Fathers and Sons (helping explain why Gus wasn't around for Memento Mori). Although Gus definitely needed to be in Modern Times so maybe following that instead. I think Return of Gus Pike could have been S5 closer instead, too. I would not have wanted Arthur to return as a rival though. That would have split the audience too much or made Arthur very unlikeable.
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:31 pm

But was Arthur ever supposed to be likable? Don't you remember the stalker look he gave Gus and Felicity at the end of "Felicity's Perfect Beau"??? That was the look of someone who would be lurking in the shadows just waiting for his moment... with a knife! :lol: I never warmed up to Arthur, and in my version of Season 5, I would have had him showing an interest in Sara, but as soon as Gus was out of the picture, he would cozy up to Felicity, prompting a broken-hearted Sara to visit Nanny Louisa in Montreal. We can keep "Modern Times" in Season Five, but let's just move it to the end after a Gus and Felicity full circle reconciliation.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:52 pm

I agree he did look like a stalker at the end of FPB!! But after his tryst with Felicity he became a very likable character I think. His mentor relationship to Izzy and Morgan (that actually mirrored Gus's relationship with the King children) made him likable. The development of his relationship with his father and of course in Happy Christmas Miss King. I think if he was trying to separate Felicity and Gus again later in the series it would have been unlikeable and redundant. If you are interested in seeing a revisit to Arthur's intentions in a completely new way I direct you to my fan fiction for a movie to pick up 9 yrs after HCMK... (http://www.anneofgreengables.com/forum/ ... f=8&t=4946) It is a long story with many other plotlines involved, FYI... Arthur doesn't show up until later in the story. As for Sara I managed to include her throughout without Sarah Polley ever having to appear...
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Arthur was the most interesting when he was a tad shady. Now please don't get me wrong, I love Gus Pike- I love everything about Gus Pike- but his character was almost too good to be true. He was a Romantic hero. Arthur, on the other hand, had an arrogance and cynicism about him that made him more Realistic. I'd hesitate to label him as a true villain, but his character was definitely gray, and that's what I liked most about him. After his defeat in the Battle for Felicity, he just seemed to fade away into Big Brother mode with nothing else to do, which was a travesty after the FPB vengeful glare he gave both of them. And by fixing the problems between Clive and Arthur, the writers took away the last edge that made him interesting. His character had so much potential, but I thought the writers just softened him up too much and too soon. I missed his swagger in Season 5.
Last edited by StoryJan on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:22 pm

I also feel that Arthur would have been a great antagonist in the seventh season. Arthur may have been likeable, but for the most part, he was irrelevant and demoted to a supporting role. I thought that the stalking scene in FPB was great forshadowing of what could have happened in the final season. It also would have been good for the actor to show his versatility. I definitely think it would have been better than Stuart. I always thought the Stuart character was very weak and his whole story fell flat.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:33 pm

You both might actually like what I came up with then. It would definitely show the actor's range. I did expect him to return and try to pursue Felicity after FPB because of that weird scene at the end but I was glad he didn't. She wouldn't have been amenable to it I think.
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:37 pm

I would have welcomed Arthur in Stuart's role in Season 7. It would have made sense, especially if the writers had at least hinted at his former interest in Felicity in Seasons 5 and 6. In a town the size of Avonlea, the two were bound to pass each other and at least see each other in social situations, which could have created some very awkward moments. The writers also really missed the boat when Felicity became interested in medicine- a shared interest with Arthur, the intellectual. Wouldn't it have been amusing if he had enrolled in medical school, too? The "Return of Gus Pike" could have had a completely different spin; Felicity first believes Gus is cheating on her with Charlotte Ames, and then Gus finds out Arthur just happens to be at Dalhousie, too. I don't think Gus/Felicity/Arthur needed to be at the center of every episode, but since the writers had no real plan for Arthur, why not keep the triangle going a little longer?

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

That's an interesting idea about ROGP. I think ultimately Felicity's interest in Arthur would have been at the same level as Gus's interest in Charlotte. But she might have latched onto him as a friendly face at school in a sea of strangers bent on getting her to quit. That could have been entertaining to see Felicity and Gus both misunderstand. I wouldn't have been keen on it by S7 though. The idea of Arthur helping Felicity out at the foundling home would have been strange, esp since I don't see him returning to Avonlea on a permanent basis.
ImageImageImageImage

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:42 pm

I didn't really like the Gus/Arthur/Felicity storyline at all. I felt Arthur was all wrong for her. At least he wasn't as insipid as Stuey. I do think it would have made a lot more sense for them to place Arthur in that role. It would have been interesting to see how she would have felt in that situation with someone that she had feelings for (at one point) on the other end of that relationship.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Gwendolene wrote:I didn't really like the Gus/Arthur/Felicity storyline at all. I felt Arthur was all wrong for her. At least he wasn't as insipid as Stuey. I do think it would have made a lot more sense for them to place Arthur in that role. It would have been interesting to see how she would have felt in that situation with someone that she had feelings for (at one point) on the other end of that relationship.
The Prince of Spelling would have been better than Stuart. :)