Gus' fate...

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Re: Gus' fate...

Post by StoryJan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:35 pm

The Prince of Spelling is my hero :) And of course Arthur was all wrong for Felicity! I agree that adding him to Season 7 may have carried the story too far, but an uncomfortable Arthur tolerating the foundling kids for Felicity's sake would have been more interesting than "Davey and the Mermaid" and "From Away." What's better? A tired story or a bad story? I think I would choose a tired story with characters I care about rather than a bad story with characters who irritate me.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 pm

StoryJan wrote:The Prince of Spelling is my hero :) And of course Arthur was all wrong for Felicity! I agree that adding him to Season 7 may have carried the story too far, but an uncomfortable Arthur tolerating the foundling kids for Felicity's sake would have been more interesting than "Davey and the Mermaid" and "From Away." What's better? A tired story or a bad story? I think I would choose a tired story with characters I care about rather than a bad story with characters who irritate me.
You said it, Jan!
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Haha, the Prince of Spelling... we didn't get much of a close-up of him though. :P

Getting back to the subject of Gus at the hotel I counted 27 episodes that he appears in. In only 9 of them (a 1/3) do we see him working at the hotel.
Here's the list: DASN, High Society, Incident at Vernon River, Heirs and Graces, Hearts and Flowers, The Disappearance, Fathers and Sons, Modern Times, Otherwise Engaged

EDA: I forgot the Disappearance (because I never watch it) which makes it 9
Last edited by hannikan on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:31 am

hannikan wrote:Haha, the Prince of Spelling... we didn't get much of a close-up of him though. :P

Getting back to the subject of Gus at the hotel I counted 27 episodes that he appears in. In only 8 of them (just under a 1/3) do we see him working at the hotel.
Here's the list: DASN, High Society, Incident at Vernon River, Heirs and Graces, Hearts and Flowers, Fathers and Sons, Modern Times, Otherwise Engaged
Maybe it seems like more because they were lumped so closely together...
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 am

hannikan wrote:If you are interested in seeing a revisit to Arthur's intentions in a completely new way I direct you to my fan fiction for a movie to pick up 9 yrs after HCMK... (http://www.anneofgreengables.com/forum/ ... f=8&t=4946) It is a long story with many other plotlines involved, FYI... Arthur doesn't show up until later in the story. As for Sara I managed to include her throughout without Sarah Polley ever having to appear...
Hannikan, that's a nice story and very well written. I like the banter between Felix and Izzy. I also like that Cecily is in the veterinary field. It seems like an appropriate career for her. Great work!

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks, Timothy! Once I got going, I kind of got into it :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

topkapi56
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by topkapi56 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Well, they stuck Gus in a mundane job with the idea that he wanted to marry Felicity and have a family. Why he wanted to marry Felicity at all is not believable but they had to find some reason for him to stick around and attempt to become more provincial. Putting him in the lighthouse helped his character a lot but working as a busboy was a disaster.

Marilla
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Marilla » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:28 pm

I have to agree, topkapi, that Gus's love for Felicity was often a mystery to me as well. She was so mean in the first 4 seasons and he was such a sweet, gentle soul. Chalk it up to opposites attract? Realistically, I could have seen Gus's character falling in love with someone like Sara (or a younger Olivia) before someone like Felicity.

adelphahighbrow
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by adelphahighbrow » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm glad someone agrees with me. Felicity NEVER grew on me. And Gus was too perfect. Too good for her. It seemed like they wanted to do the Sara triangle before they discovered fans loved Gus/Felicity and left it alone.

gardengal
Bright Station Arrival

Post by gardengal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:32 pm

I know that I am coming to this late but I had to throw in my two cents worth.
I lovd the RTA series as a teen but had never seen season 7. I wish now that I hadn't. When I contrast the look of Gus Pike in season 7 with the carefree boy of season 2 it makes me sick. I hate that he ended up broken, downhearted, blind.

I didn't like it when they made him move to the hotel, it was very out of character. His main appeal was the hint of wildness about him, coupled with his earnestness and intelligence. Dressing him up in a monkey suit and having him pour coffee was just wrong. I never understood where all of his money went either, he worked all that time yet it never seemed to get him anywhere.

And Felicity was just horrid. I didn't like her as a child, but I really began to dislike her for the way she behaved in Perfect Beau. I never truly believed that she loved him. If she did,I honestly don't think that she could have walked away from him and further toyed with him when he declared his love after fighting Arthur. It was like throughout the show she had to see him utterly broken before she would accept him. She is a lot like Hetty in having to rule the roost, maybe she simply could not stand to have a man that was truly her equal (or better) in fire and spirit. Even in her sickbed proposal she mocks his "horrid pipe." Poor Gus, I fear that he had a lifetime of buckling down and minding his manners with her as a wife. Somehow I cannot picture Felicity ever cutting loose and being giddy and human (as Alec and Janet sometimes do, a la their cakewalk scene in enter Prince Charming, etc), any more than Hetty could. Sara could have, but not Felicity. I don't actually think that she and Gus made a very good couple. He and Sara were much better suited.

I would also have liked to have seen Jasper and Gus become some sort of business partners. I liked how they interacted in Modern Times, and Gus' practicality and street smarts would have been a perfect foil to Jasper's scatterbrained, naive character. And they are essentially very similar, in that both had good hearts and cared deeply for things, they would have worked well as a team. The show keeps referring to Gus' intelligence, but they never gave him a place to show it or profit from it as he aged into an adult.

I will always love RTA, but I wish I did not know how it ended.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:16 am

gardengal wrote:I didn't like it when they made him move to the hotel, it was very out of character. His main appeal was the hint of wildness about him, coupled with his earnestness and intelligence. Dressing him up in a monkey suit and having him pour coffee was just wrong. I never understood where all of his money went either, he worked all that time yet it never seemed to get him anywhere.
Nest egg, I'm thinking.

Think about it like this: Gus's main goal was to, ultimately, marry Felicity. I'm sure he would've wanted to set money aside so he'd have something to his name besides a love for sea-faring (sp?) life and adventure. I think that was a contributing factor in taking a job at the hotel, along with wanting to become more respectable to her.
And Felicity was just horrid. I didn't like her as a child, but I really began to dislike her for the way she behaved in Perfect Beau. I never truly believed that she loved him. If she did,I honestly don't think that she could have walked away from him and further toyed with him when he declared his love after fighting Arthur. It was like throughout the show she had to see him utterly broken before she would accept him. She is a lot like Hetty in having to rule the roost, maybe she simply could not stand to have a man that was truly her equal (or better) in fire and spirit. Even in her sickbed proposal she mocks his "horrid pipe." Poor Gus, I fear that he had a lifetime of buckling down and minding his manners with her as a wife. Somehow I cannot picture Felicity ever cutting loose and being giddy and human (as Alec and Janet sometimes do, a la their cakewalk scene in enter Prince Charming, etc), any more than Hetty could. Sara could have, but not Felicity. I don't actually think that she and Gus made a very good couple. He and Sara were much better suited.
I agree that Felicity was, very much, like Hetty, not to mention young Felicity was more than a bit of a snob. However, I disagree that Gus was better suited to Sara.

Actually, I think it would've been even harder to win Sara than it was for him to win Felicity.

For one thing, even though Hetty cared for Gus a lot, she's still a control freak and a micromanager. She'd have a massive say-so in whom Sara chose to marry, IMO. So would Sara's Nanny Louisa, who can be just as controlling, and I seriously doubt she would approve of Sara marrying someone well below her station. Remember the era in which they lived. In reality, very few women married for love at the time; they generally married someone of an equal or higher status, someone with a respectable position in their community. (This is why LMM never married the person most scholars believe was her one true love, Herman Laird. As a farmer, he wasn't considered respectable enough.) Nanny Louisa would insist on Sara marrying someone who could manage her money well, preferably someone equally well-off. No way in that town in Michigan would she approve of Sara marrying a poor lighthouse keeper/hotel busboy. She freaked out over seeing Sara with Arthur (even though they weren't doing anything inappropriate), ffs!

Meanwhile, while Gus could take care of her heart, I don't know if he could handle her finances. (I have the same issue with Booth.) Plus, if you think he's out of place working in a posh hotel? IMO, place him in proper high society and he really would be a fish out of water, even if Sara helped him to adjust. It also seems to me he didn't really care for it that much anyway, after dealing with those sorts of guests at the hotel.

Plus, I think it would ruin his and Sara's friendship.

I think the "horrid pipe" comment was tongue-in-cheek more than anything else. I don't think Felicity meant any harm by it, not to mention she probably didn't think he could hear her.
The show keeps referring to Gus' intelligence, but they never gave him a place to show it or profit from it as he aged into an adult.
This I agree with.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone