An Avonlea Feast

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Lady Jeanne
Cured Peter Craig

An Avonlea Feast

Post by Lady Jeanne » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:09 pm

I've seen Anne of Green Gables cookbooks in the library and recipes online, but never Avonlea. So I thought I'd look for recipes for the many dishes mentioned in the series and write them down in a notebook, perhaps with a summary of the events surrounding the meal, just for fun. Any ideas for things to look for?

Felicity's cherry pie and "sawdust" pudding with maple sugar sauce, of course. And Rachel's lemon puffs. And the poultry dish Pierre whipped up to resemble Methuselah :lol:

So... what Avonlea treats come to your mind?

hobbie
Saved School Library Funds

Post by hobbie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:25 am

What a great idea lady Jeanne!

What about the King recipe for the cramberry pie or aunt Janet's gravy mentioned in"Comings and goings" or coq au vin from Pierre la Pierre,....
I will never forget the days of my youth when the waves rippled between my toas....Hetty king

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:29 am

Great idea Lady Jeanne. The feast that comes to mine, besides the sawdust pudding is Chef Pierre's haggis. :)

Lady Jeanne
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Lady Jeanne » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:37 am

:lol: Ah, he didn't approve of that one! You won't catch me cooking something that revolting either! I must agree with Pierre on that point.

Oh, what about escargot Felix? And the punch Felix and Sarah doctored up for the King/ Dale reunion? That might not be a safe one to prepare. Or Mrs. Potts' well-done pot roast...

Good eating in Avonlea!

Oldbats
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Oldbats » Fri May 04, 2007 7:54 am

Timothy wrote:Great idea Lady Jeanne. The feast that comes to mine, besides the sawdust pudding is Chef Pierre's haggis. :)
I absolutely LOVED that episode in which Chef Pierre and Mr. Tremain are fighting over the haggis. Isn't that the same episode in which Aunt Hetty keeps correcting people on the pronunciation of the Duke of Aranoch's (not sure on how to spell it) name, and the whole time it was her that was wrong?

The episode that comes to mind when I think of Avonlea cooking is the episode when Felicity invites Gus over for dinner while the Alec and Janet are away, and she keeps loading his plate up with more beef. I know that's one of the most favorite episodes according to the polls.....can't remember the exact name of it....haven't had my morning coffee yet!
Lady Jeanne wrote::Oh, what about escargot Felix?
I loved that episode as well! I always joke with my mom about opening up a "Felix's Tea Room" restaurant!
"I honor value and I value honor" --Gus Pike

Lady Jeanne
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Lady Jeanne » Fri May 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Oldbats, I think you're thinking of "The Dinner". I don't know what exactly Felicity served poor Gus that evening... only that she served a lot of it! I think there were turnips and potatoes.

Remember when poor Felix was denied his share of shepherd's pie in "Proof of the Pudding"? And then to be left with nothing but boiled potatoes and carrots after a hard day's work. Poor boy. I watched that episode this morning to cheer myself up on a rainy day.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri May 04, 2007 8:33 pm

Jasper made some extra crispy toast.

Lady Jeanne
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Lady Jeanne » Sat May 05, 2007 9:38 am

Oh yeah, Timothy, I forgot about that. Can't remember which episode that is--"Dreamer of Dreams" maybe? I don't like my toast that dark. More my dad's style!

Then there's the tarts Felix ate in "Proof of the Pudding"--the ones that had something missing, like maybe pigeon berries :wink: .

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Thu May 17, 2007 3:51 am

I have a couple of RTA inspired recipes on my website here: http://www.geocities.com/dashofsalt.geo ... serts.html

Mother's Cornmeal Pudding Recipe
Gluten-Free-Vegetarian

A rich and delightful dessert
Mentioned in The Story Girl - chapter 17 and Road to Avonlea - episode The Proof of the Pudding

4 cups milk
1 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal [Not Sawdust!]
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup light molasses
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup cloves
1/2 cup ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs

1. Beat eggs.

2. Bring the milk to a gentle boil.

3. Gradually add cornmeal, stirring continuously.

4. Lower heat and continue stirring until thickened.

5. Remove from heat. Add butter, sugar, spices, and molasses.

6. Let cool. Stir in eggs.

7. Pour into a greased baking dish and bake for 50-60 minutes at 325 degrees F or until pudding is firm.

8. Serve warm smothered in maple sugar sauce (See below).

Maple Sugar Sauce

2 Eggs
2 cups Maple sugar
1/2 tablesoon Butter

1.Beat eggs.

2. Combine ingredients and cook in a double boiler for 20 minutes, stirring continuously.

~~

King Cranberry Pie
Vegetarian

Straight from Aunt Hetty’s secret stash.
Mentioned in Road to Avonlea - episode Strictly Melodrama

5 tablespoons Flour
1 3/4 cups Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3 cups Halved cranberries
1/3 cup Sweetened Cherry Juice
1/8 cup Water
1/2 teaspoon Almond extract
9 inch pie crust

1. Mix flour, sugar, and salt.

2. In saucepan slowly bring cranberries, cherry juice, and water to a boil.

3. Slowly add flour mixture to the berries.

4. Reduce heat and cook until mixture thickens.

5. Remove from heat and add extract.

6. Let cool. Pour into pie shell.

7. Bake in 425 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Lady Jeanne
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Lady Jeanne » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Thank you, Gwendolene! I'd been looking for a sauce recipe using maple sugar but couldn't find any, and I wasn't having any luck with the cranberry pie with cherry juice either.