Did Janet King approve of Felicity's choice?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Avonlea Fan
Planted Magic Seeds

Did Janet King approve of Felicity's choice?

Post by Avonlea Fan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:44 am

I watched "Return to Me" again yesterday and I was reminded of a question I've pondered now and then.

Do you think Janet fully approves of Gus Pike or was she looking for someone with more social status, a.k.a Stuart. for her daughter?

Janet always seems to be holding back a little when it comes to Gus, almost showing favoritism to Arthur or Stuart.

I realize parents want someone who can amply provide for their children and can offer them both compatibility and security. Parents also want their children to make wise decisions, as Janet did when Gus propsed for the first time ("Felicity's Perfect Beau, Season 4), and when Felicity decides to cancel her plans for medical school to marry Gus ("Otherwise Engaged", Season 5)

Is Janet just being a good parent, or do you think she had concerns about the relationship?

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:43 pm

I think this is just an example that the Avonlea characters weren't perfect. I think that Janet just wanted what was best for her children, and she accepted the fact that Felicity loved Gus. But when Stuart came along, she thought he could help her daughter.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:56 pm

I'll have to watch more closely, Avonlea Fan. I did notice that Alec seemed more excited to see Gus at the train station in Return to Me than Janet. He even calls Gus 'son,' which is very telling. It only took a brief moment for everyone to dismiss the poor sucker building the dream house on the other side of town.

It would be interesting if Janet did have these concerns about Gus's social status, being that her father had similiar high opinions that nearly prevented Alec from marrying her.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Re: Did Janet King approve of Felicity's choice?

Post by Shelly » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:07 pm

Avonlea Fan wrote:Do you think Janet fully approves of Gus Pike or was she looking for someone with more social status, a.k.a Stuart. for her daughter?

Janet always seems to be holding back a little when it comes to Gus, almost showing favoritism to Arthur or Stuart.
I noticed this, too--especially in "Out of the Ashes" and "Love May Be Blind..." (the latter more so, I say). IMO, Janet was doing her darndest to convince Felicity to accept Stuart--partly so, yes, Felicity could move on from Gus's supposed death; but also partly because Stuart was a well-respected member of the community with a higher social status than Gus. (This, I'd dare say, and as Tim seems to suggest, was in keeping with Victorian- and Edwardian-era sensibilities--which, also IMO, a late 20th/early 21st century audience would not accept.)

I don't think Janet disliked Gus. However, I do believe she would've preferred Felicity marry someone of a higher social status than Gus; and, let's be honest, Gus was very much a lower working-class citizen.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Oldbats
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Oldbats » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:21 pm

I agree that Janet was probably looking out for her daughter's best interests, at least in her own mind.

After all, it was Janet who gave Felicity a talking to, about opening her heart to Stuart in the first place. And she definitely worked at nudging her out of her despair over losing Gus.

This behavior could go either way. She either was hoping for Felicity to marry someone of higher social standing, or just wanted her daughter to be happily married.

I can empathize with Felicity, as my family (mostly the older members), coming only 50 years ago to America from a more traditional, old-style European country, looks very closely at social status, and have always frowned on anyone I've dated that wasn't of a certain economic and/or social standing.

I think Alec, being essentially a simple farmer (although a successful one), doesn't look at social class as closely, and values what a person does with what he or she is given.

That moment when Alec tells Gus, "Its good to have you home, son", was a very poignant moment for me, because I don't really have a father in my life, and it really struck a chord with me to hear Alec say that.
"I honor value and I value honor" --Gus Pike

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:39 pm

Oldbats wrote:I think Alec, being essentially a simple farmer (although a successful one), doesn't look at social class as closely, and values what a person does with what he or she is given.
Exactly. That, and a person's character.
foreverzach.net

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:49 am

Avonlea Fan wrote:Do you think Janet fully approves of Gus Pike or was she looking for someone with more social status, a.k.a Stuart. for her daughter?

That is a very good point. Janet does seem very excited over Stuart and Felicity getting married.

Though the questioned still remains: Is it Gus Pike’s rank she’s against or the timing of Felicity getting married to Gus?

Janet was concerned over the age of Felicity (in 4th season) and later in Felicity avoiding medical school to marry Gus (Season 5). I’ll have to re-watch the last episode to see how Janet acts when Gus comes home. Then I’ll decide if Janet was for or against Gus Pike versus other matches for her daughter

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:02 am

I saw an interview (I'm sorry, I don't have the source available right now) where Lally Cadeau mentioned an interesting storyline that wasn't used in an episode. A suitor comes calling on Felicity, but Janet doesn't like that particular suitor and doesn't tell Felicity. Apparently, Disney didn't like this angle and had it removed from the episode.

Was this mystery suitor Gus Pike? Was this key storyline of Janet secretly thinking Gus unworthy for her daughter removed and all the hints leading up to it left in for time reasons? If it was, then it could have explained this feeling many get about Janet's dislike of Gus as a suitor for Felicity. Just an idea. :)

oldfashionedgirl
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Re: Did Janet King approve of Felicity's choice?

Post by oldfashionedgirl » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:20 pm

I've always noticed her holding back, too. It seems obvious that she likes Gus (who wouldn't?) but maybe she saw Felicity and Gus as mismatched and she was afraid it wouldn't work?

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:32 am

Janet King probly didnt approve gus because he was heathen. once he changed and joined civilized she accepted him and he could marry felicity and join the king famikly.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Bollocks.

Gus was a "dirt-covered boy who live(d) in an old lighthouse", as Felicity once said (slightly misquoted on purpose) and could get work only in the cannery or as a White Sands busboy. Felicity was the eldest daughter in a prominent farming family.

Arthur Pettibone was probably as much "heathen" as you say Gus was; but he was also studying to be a veterinarian (and later became a regular doctor), which is a respectable vocation, and his father was a military man (also very respectable). Stuart McRae was a banker; and bankers were also well-off.

I still say it was clearly a social status issue. Nothing to do with religion at all.
foreverzach.net