Best hairstyles

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:27 am

You gotta love that poofy 80s-early90s hair. :)

vera
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by vera » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:10 pm

I LOVED Olivia's hair in the first few seasons. It was ok after that but in the first few seasons it was gorgeous.

jeremiah2911
King Farm Hired Hand

Hairstyles

Post by jeremiah2911 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:45 pm

I loved Izzy's in HCMK. Oh, I forgot, she didn't even get mentioned in the movie. I am sure if she would have been present (terrible oversight) she would have had great hair. :lol:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:30 pm

^ Oh, definitely! 8)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Haystacks
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Haystacks » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:55 pm

Something that is bothering--Felix King has a modern 'boy band' haircut in season 5 that is distracting, instead of period hair. I hate that.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:37 pm

Well, look at his hair in the last two seasons. It wasn't exactly "period-appropriate", either; but it was what was somewhat in vogue with teenage boys in the mid-1990s. (A few guys I went to school with had the same hairstyle.)

OTOH, his "fifth Beatle" look in season five is inexplicable. ;)

On a similar note, I'm willing to wager none of the male characters had "period-appropriate" hair.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:56 pm

I think that Olivia had consistently the best hair styles. She never really had a bad do. I think her best was in season 4. I also love Felicity's most of the time. I esp like hers in season 7 and 5. I'm not crazy about her hair when it was all up and too high in front, a la season 4 (like the Dinner). Sara's was pretty in season 5 when it wasn't all poufy/crimpy. Once you talk about season 6 and 7 for her it's more about the hats. Cecily looked pretty with it all up, too. Izzy's was best when she had the bangs.
ImageImageImageImage

janbo
Planted Magic Seeds

Re: Best hairstyles

Post by janbo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 am

Felicity had the best hairstyles.. but in last 3 seasons.. especially in the 7th season.. I like her looks there.. and her eyebrows were changed in S7 for better, and she had beautiful dresses..
Never liked Sara's hairstyles...
Olivia had a nice one but it was almost the same in all seasons... Izzy had the best hair in "Love may be blind.."
I like Gus' hair in season 5 !

janbo
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by janbo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:56 am

One question...

Was it tradition or fashion.. all women had their hairs up ?
Even Sara and Felicity had them up in later seasons when they grow up... women had to have that kind of hairstyles or it was just a fashion back then in that period ? Were women dyed their hair then ? I believe not.. but it is hardly to believe some women hadn't any gray hairs ( like Hetty ).. and Janet for example had different hair colors from time to time ( sometimes darker, sometimes lighter,.. )

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 am

janbo wrote:One question...

Was it tradition or fashion.. all women had their hairs up ?
Even Sara and Felicity had them up in later seasons when they grow up... women had to have that kind of hairstyles or it was just a fashion back then in that period ?
Yes, it was not only the fashion it was expected that once a girl reached about 16-18 she wear her hair up. It was considered improper to wear your hair up when you were a girl, and improper to wear it down in public as a woman. It was a sign of maturity and letting the world know you were of marriageable age.
janbo wrote:Were women dyed their hair then ? I believe not.. but it is hardly to believe some women hadn't any gray hairs ( like Hetty ).. and Janet for example had different hair colors from time to time ( sometimes darker, sometimes lighter,.. )
They didn't color their hair as often as women do now but they did have the ability to color it. In fact women have been coloring their hair for a very, very long time. It was often to hide gray hair (for men, too) but sometimes just to get attention with a striking color. During Marie Antoinette's time, women even powdered their hair unnatural colors like pink and blue! http://www.erasofelegance.com/fashion/hairstyles.html

And some women went gray earlier in their life than other women, just like today. For example, Rachel Lynde is about the same age as Hetty and has gray hair while Hetty does not. I can't imagine Hetty dying her hair if it had gone gray.

Dyed red hair was popular for prostitutes in this period (that's partly where the negative association about redheads comes from) and was done with henna: http://www.ehow.com/about_5127023_histo ... olors.html

Here is an page with advertisements for hair dye:
http://www.sensationpress.com/victorianhairdye.htm
ImageImageImageImage

BSITW
Bright Station Arrival

Post by BSITW » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:23 pm

I loved Sarah's 80's frizzy hair...esp. in season 2 when she would wear it with a bow (Misfits and Miracles come to mind). I also liked it when it was up during the last 2 seasons ("Comings and Goings" was a nice surprise). I suppose Felicity had the best hair. In the earlier seasons when she attempted to put her hair up I didn't like it. But by season 6 it worked out very well (esp. "Homecoming"). I also thought Muriel Stacy had a nice a bob throughout the series.

But, I have to say, no hair on the show was better than Anne and Diane's. Their hair was crazy amazing.

Kerryee
Bright Station Arrival

Post by Kerryee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 pm

I like Janet King's hair style more then any one in "Road to Avonlea" and she is looking very beautiful in this old style hairstyle.