What happen to Aunt Abigail and Malcolm?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
RenéeEvelyn
Boarding at Biggins'

What happen to Aunt Abigail and Malcolm?

Post by RenéeEvelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:36 pm

I gladly admit I'm obsessive when it comes to RTA. :D I rent it from NetFlix and I've watched up to Out of The Ashes. One thing I can't remeber being explained is whatever happened to Aunt Abigail and Malcolm? I remember Janet mentioning writing to them once or twice, but when did they ever move, or did they even?
-Renée Evelyn

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:22 pm

Keep watching Season 7; you'll see them again later on. (After that...don't press your luck. ;))
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

RenéeEvelyn
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by RenéeEvelyn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:30 am

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open... :)
-Renée Evelyn

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:19 am

Yeah, you might notice something a wee bit different about Malcolm this time. :wink:

Keep us posted.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Re: What happen to Aunt Abigail and Malcolm?

Post by Miss Lewis » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 pm

In the Show, is any explanation given to what happen to Abigail and Malcolm and why they are missing from many episodes?

I find it hard to believe Janet would ignore her sister for so long. (maybe she felt guilty of about taking the dish/platter after all). Though oddly, Abigail was missing after Aunt Olivia wedding (Did Aunt Hetty not invite her?)

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 am

In Hearth and Home (Season 4) there is a references to Abigail. When Great Aunt Eliza is being difficult, Janet suggested writing Abigail or even sending Eliza on the train to Abigail's house. So clearly by Season 4, Abigail has moved out away.

Was there any reference before this episode that showed that Abigail moved away?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks for mentioning Janet sending Eliza away to Abigail's house by train, which must be a considerable distance.

While it's not stated, the best explanation is that Malcolm maintained his job/company in the Yukon and the family lived there while also retaining their home in Avonlea. In Secrets and Sacrifices (1911), it's revealed that Malcolm and Abigail were living in the Yukon and returned to Avonlea to find their home damaged from the weather. It's likely they moved to the Yukon earlier but it wasn't mentioned.

As far as Abigail not showing up at the wedding, it could just be that the actress was unavailable.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 pm

As far as Abigail not showing up at the wedding, it could just be that the actress was unavailable.
I always assumed that was the case. That the actress was not available. It would been nice touch if someone mentioned, in passing, that aunt Abigail couldn't make it to Felicity's wedding because "Lucky was sick" or "it was too short of notice", or something like that.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Or maybe because there was a lucrative opportunity to find gold in Malcolm's mining camp, and that's why Abigail couldn't attend?