Stuart McRae

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Stuart McRae

Post by Timothy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:26 pm

What were your thoughts when Stuart was leaving Avonlea in the episode 'So Dear to My Heart?' Did you feel sorry that Stu's engagement with Felicity was broken and he was dumped? Or were you jumping for joy that Gus was back and Stu was on the first train out of Avonlea?

Elizabeth
Found work at the Cannery

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:31 am

Stuart's boring. I never understood why Felicity agreed to marry him in the first pllace. He looked about ten years older than her, wasn't a very nice person, had a cold persona and was not even good-looking! Some of those things may not be important to everyone in the world, but Felicity alwasy said that she wanted to marry a dark, handsome, and mysterious man (aka Gus Pike's description). Although it is painfully obvious that she never loved Stuart, I feel that the writers played with this situation unrealistiically. In Felix' words, "Felicity would never fall for a guy like him in a million years!" That statement pretty much sums it up.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:58 pm

I was ecstatic. IMO, the only reason Felicity got engaged to Stuart in the first place was to appease her mother. He may've helped her some during a hard time, but that's it. There was no love there.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

panini
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by panini » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:36 am

I felt sorry for Stuart because it seemed like he really cared for Felicity, and I was a little irked with Felicity for leading him on when she obviously didn't love him. Unfortunately, he was doomed from the start, because with Gus back in the picture nobody's going to be happy if Gus and Felicity don't end up together. :)

vijay
Found work at the Cannery

Post by vijay » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:26 pm

i guess they wanted the viewers to think felicity and stuart would be together after Gus's death..and that Felicity was going to move on in her life (obviously grudgingly). But once the twist in the plot came around and Gus turned up alive in South Carolina....it was definitely obvious to me that stuart was out of there..certainly that was my first reaction.
But I must say, i never really thought too much of Stuart..i recognised him as a character earlier in the series and thought it was strange that he returned as Felicity's love interest.

also, i think he looks a bit like Pat Sajak (of Wheel of Fortune)..anyone else?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:25 pm

I think I saw Stu on Wheel of Fortune. The wheel always landed on 'Loser.'

He does have a game show host look about him, now that you mention it.

alecking
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by alecking » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:49 pm

Poor, poor Stuart. Found guilty by most of the crime of DARING to fall in love with our beautiful Felicity. The casting people made sure his character wasn't as good looking as Gus or Sully's writers would have to find a way to kill Gus off. It's not fair to use todays values in place of 1911's. Stuart was a well respected, hard working, prosperous member of the community. By 1900's stantards, a very good catch indeed, even with the age difference.

From his viewpoint, he fell in love with a woman with emotional issues, was practically asked to propose a second time, had a wedding date, planned and started building their house of dreams and then came the bomb. Gus is alive, goodbye Stuart. Not fair, I say. He was a victim, not a villain. All I say is, "What if"? For what was known at the time, what if Gus was dead? Was Stuart all that bad? Did he not help Felicity come 'out of the ashes'? Please, don't get me wrong. I too like Gus. I just see poor Stu with different eyes.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:04 pm

In the court of many RTA fans, Stuart got in the way of true true love and must be tarred, feathered, and driven out of town on a rail. (Maybe it was just me, but I thought he had this arrogant smirk on his face that was a bit annoying).

I always thought they should have turned Stuart into an 'Edwin Clark' type protagonist. Upon hearing that his engagement plans were dropped and Gus had returned, he could have become twisted with jealousy and flew off the deep end. Perhaps he could have attempted to sabotage Gus's return to Avonlea. There could have been a greater conflict between Gus and Stuart than the lame standoff at King Farm. Instead, he is quickly ushered out of town. Of course, there was only a final episode to resolve all these matters and so there wasn't enough time to develop such a story.
Last edited by Timothy on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alecking
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by alecking » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:20 pm

A death match between the to lovers for the fair lady's hand. "How tragically romantic." Sarah would say.

BTW, my money is on the sighted guy.
Forever Avonlealy Yours,
Bobby with-a-y

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:44 pm

That would be suspenseful. At least until the Disney execs got their hands on it. Disney edit:

Gus: If ah could see you, ah'd hit you.

Stuart: You touch me, and I'll sue you.

:o

Gotta tone down the violence for Disney I guess.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:43 pm

But, of course, if Stuart and/or Gus had gotten drunk and had a motor car, a drunken car chase would be no problem for the Disney censors! (Notice sarcasm.)

Felix said it best: "He isn't Gus Pike." Smart fella. ;)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:32 am

That's strange about Disney:

Driving drunk and crashing a car is okay.

Slapping someone isn't and must be edited out.

Go figure.

:roll:

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:53 am

Eek! I don't like Stuart. Never have, never will. I think he was a bit of a push-over. There's nice and then there's just...yuck! Worst character ever in RTA (the best being Gus, of course! )

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:25 am

Never cared much for Stu. I'm not exactly for sure why Stuart is so disliked? (He's become the equivalent of the elderly Lazer Wolf from Fiddler on the Roof, who asks for Tevye's young daughter's hand in marriage; when the daughter really wants to marry a younger, yet poorer tailor).

Is it because, like Arthur, he was trying to replace Gus?

Is it because he appeared to be so much older than Gus?

Would he be disliked if he were just the town banker and had no interest in Felicity?

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:55 pm

Well, for me I don't think it was the age difference. I think if two people are really in love it doesn't matter what age they are. But see, that's the thing. Felicity was never in love with Stuart. Even when she thought Gus was dead, she went on loving him. There was just no chemistry between Felicity and Stuart. It was just...BLAH! And then, once Felicity found Gus, Stuart didn't handle it well. I mean, I felt like screaming, "Man, get yourself some pride!" I just find him to be very...embarrassing to watch.