Stuart McRae

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Re: Stuart McRae

Post by Felixthecat50 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Wow I'm going to piss off a lot of fans maybe...but before I do, I'd just like to say I'm new to this board. I'm just expressing my opinions on the show and I mean no harm. I hope the fangirls don't cry too hard..or get too crazy here.

I don't really understand why the Gus/Felicity pairing had people in such a tizzy, I really couldn't have cared less if Felicity married Gus or Stuart, why do people act like the show was all about Gus and Felicity?? Ugh. I mean in the books it's implied that she marries Peter Craig, Gus Pike doesn't even exist. The books weren't really about that though, they were about the wonderment of childhood.

Both Gus and Felicity were good characters in their own right, but I think the pairing really ended up sabotaging both of them. There is a point in season 4 where there are three episodes of their incessant love story in a row...The first episode we're made to believe that Felicity is old enough to court Gus, the next she's eying another man and ignoring Gus over some petty misunderstanding...

The insertion of the Stuart character was really just another way of keeping the will they/won't they cat and mouse game of Felicity and Gus going much longer than it needed to. Stuart as a character was actually kind of decent for a character that's meant to be nothing but a plot device. He took care of orphaned kids for lord's sake, I mean how can anyone honestly say he was a bad guy? How on earth wasn't he a gentleman toward Felicity, remember when Gus refused to wait for Felicity to finish medical school before she married him? I personally didn't think that was very gentlemanly. How about the fact that he let Felicity and his friends in Avonlea believe he was dead for nearly a year! Not very gentlemanly...certainly not believable for someone who's ready for a relationship let alone marriage. You people act like Gus was a saint..

I'm sure Stuart could have been more developed (I think that was his only problem as a character) if the writers actually cared about writing proper story lines, instead of rushing the ending...Another thing that bothered me. People stuck with the show for nearly 7 years only to get that half assed, rushed story line ending that summarized the show as being only about Felicity and Gus getting married...What about the fortunes of Felix, Cecily, Davy/Dora, Sarah Stanley, and the other Kings? What about Felicity's future...what about Gus' future? The reason Gus left was because he needed to find himself. Stuart McRea leaving was certainly more heartfelt and sincere to me, than the forced wedding of Gus and Felicity.

If the shippers of Gus/Felicity really find these comments offensive, let me ask you...if Gus had been paired with any other female character, would you have hated the Felicity/Stuart pairing? I'm sure you guys would have loved whichever female character Gus fell in love with because it's really Gus that most people liked. I feel like the reactions from "fans" of Avonlea regarding Stuart's character are just downright childish. I can't even imagine that most of these are coming from people who even know what it's like to fall in love with someone or have a long term relationship.

GreenTree
Pat's Meow

Post by GreenTree » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:01 pm

@Felixthecat50
Finally!
Its good to see some refreshing analysis on this post.
I agree with almost everything you've written here.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:31 am

Felixthecat50 wrote:How on earth wasn't he a gentleman toward Felicity, remember when Gus refused to wait for Felicity to finish medical school before she married him?
"What about ME?" / "Gus is not here, I am." (words to that effect) / "If you were any kind of a gentleman, you'd leave (and let me have Felicity for myself, even though you loved her first and she loves you more than she does me)."

IMO, Stuart was basically trying to get Felicity into a relationship with him when she clearly didn't love him, and when she was still very vulnerable (there is no set time table to finish grieving!). Janet practically pushed her into it, too, IMO. I think the only reason Felicity ultimately accepted Stuart's proposal was to get them off her back.

And I'm saying this as someone whose primary ship was never Gus/Felicity, someone who wasn't as obsessed/in love with Gus as many a female fan were.
Another thing that bothered me. People stuck with the show for nearly 7 years only to get that half assed, rushed story line ending that summarized the show as being only about Felicity and Gus getting married...What about the fortunes of Felix, Cecily, Davy/Dora, Sarah Stanley, and the other Kings?
I hated that the ending was rushed. I hate the Christmas movie didn't tie up the other loose ends. I hate that Felix/Izzy (my main ship) didn't get closure of some kind. I hate that Cecily's character was never fleshed out properly or written convincingly. I don't understand why Felicity's other relatives -- the MacEwans (Aunt Abigail, Uncle Malcolm, Lucky), Aunt Eliza, Uncle Roger and Andrew -- weren't at her wedding. I don't understand why Captain Crane and his Eliza wouldn't have been at the nuptials. I didn't care much about Davey or Dora. (Especially not Davey. I especially hate that he got two, IMO, very unnecessary episodes in the final season.)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Post by Felixthecat50 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:09 pm

"What about ME?" / "Gus is not here, I am." (words to that effect) / "If you were any kind of a gentleman, you'd leave (and let me have Felicity for myself, even though you loved her first and she loves you more than she does me)."
...I'm not saying he's perfect, only he's not as bad as people here keep going on about. His main issues, imo, come from his lack of development.

Normally I'd find such a "what about me" attitude selfish...but I think Stuart had a good point. Gus had been dead and Felicity was mooning over someone who would never come back for her. Not only that but in a way she was kind of leading him on. She used his friendship and closeness to try and deal with Gus's death...Stuart showed her attention and she gave some evidence of interest in him. At this point she had agreed to marry him and assured him that she would not leave him for Gus! Remember the train scene? So I see this as an instinctive reaction on Stuart's part, he's angry, hurt, jealous and many other things at the prospect of someone stealing his girl. (and Gus too!) Love can bring out the best and worst in people, so Gus and Stuart were both just acting like total morons at that point.

Stuart was in love with Felicity, so his viewpoint here was biased. When you love someone you do desperately want them for yourselves, even if you eventually realize that you have to let them go. Eventually Stuart did come to this realization, doesn't mean he wasn't going to be possessive, hurt, and defensive when someone else tried to "steal his girl."
IMO, Stuart was basically trying to get Felicity into a relationship with him when she clearly didn't love him, and when she was still very vulnerable (there is no set time table to finish grieving!)

Well Felicity did show interest in him and agreed to court him (and marry him), let's not forget this. Whatever Felicity felt she kept pretty guarded. I've always seen her as a very guarded character and very hard to read. Maybe Stuart thought he helped her get over Gus's death, who knows? As you said yourself, there's no limit to grieving and perhaps he thought her grieving had ended.

Also regarding Janet, at that time in history, women married pretty quickly after a beau or husband died because any other prospects were hard to come by. A woman had to survive somehow. I could see Janet doing this out of worry for her daughter's future. Felicity didn't want to be a doctor, so she wasn't too concerned with a future career to support herself. She was 20 years old and still living at home. Also Janet probably thought it would be better for her to move on from someone who was obviously dead to all of them at that point.
Janet practically pushed her into it, too, IMO. I think the only reason Felicity ultimately accepted Stuart's proposal was to get them off her back

This was not known to Stuart's character, only Felicity's. If something was bothering her about Stuart's prospects toward her she never really voiced it or made it known.
And I'm saying this as someone whose primary ship was never Gus/Felicity, someone who wasn't as obsessed/in love with Gus as many a female fan were.
I'm aware of that, one of the few people here probably which I applaud. I just disagree with you on Stuart being ungentlemanly, I believe he was just heavily underdeveloped because his character served nothing other than a plot point. The only evidence we have to back this up is the fight between Gus and Stuart and...well neither of them were very gentlemanly imo. This wasn't their best moment.
I hated that the ending was rushed. I hate the Christmas movie didn't tie up the other loose ends.
I think the rushed ending bothered me more than anything because they had months to plan out these story lines, they could have given us better. The christmas movie was really just something we were lucky to get (or not lol) in the first place, plus it wasn't even two hours long. You can hardly wrap up story lines in that amount of time.
I hate that Felix/Izzy (my main ship) didn't get closure of some kind.
It would have been nice to see Izzy and Felix interact after he came back from the war, or to see her at least express some distress over her missing childhood friend! I mean dear god...my childhood friend (whom I hadn't seen or talked to since the age of 12) went off to Afghanistan and I certainly distressed over it. Let alone someone she had a crush on.

They were a cute youthful couple, but....I'm actually really glad they didn't end up "happily ever after." I like the idea of them just going through puppy love. Not everyone who has a teen crush is going to end up marrying that crush. I most definitely would have rather seen an Izzy/Felix wedding than a Gus/Felicity wedding, but I really would have rather seen them move on with their lives. I could see Felix leaving Avonlea after he's done with service and becoming a businessman in a big city. It was always his dream to go into business and he seemed pretty disturbed by the war. People in a small town wouldn't understand the worldly horrors he's seen, I don't know why but I see him running off somewhere after the show ends. I see the two of them going their separate ways.
I hate that Cecily's character was never fleshed out properly or written convincingly. I don't understand why Felicity's other relatives -- the MacEwans (Aunt Abigail, Uncle Malcolm, Lucky), Aunt Eliza, Uncle Roger and Andrew -- weren't at her wedding. I don't understand why Captain Crane and his Eliza wouldn't have been at the nuptials. I didn't care much about Davey or Dora. (Especially not Davey. I especially hate that he got two, IMO, very unnecessary episodes in the final season.)
I can understand Captain Crane and Eliza...they're in Jamaica right? So how could they possibly get there in time for her super rushed, last minute wedding (because that's how you properly start a marriage....) I guess I can even understand Andrew and Roger since they no longer live in Avonlea, but why on earth wouldn't her aunt be there? They moved back to Avonlea.

I liked the episode where Davy and Dora go to live with Hetty, but that should have been their last episode. Davy and the Mermaid wasn't a very satisfying conclusion for Davy Keith..whether you liked him or not I think we can both agree that a light hearted episode is a horrible way to end a character's storyline!

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Post by Felixthecat50 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 pm

@Felixthecat50
Finally!
Its good to see some refreshing analysis on this post.
I agree with almost everything you've written here.
Thanks GreenTree!

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Roger and Andrew's last known location is Halifax. Not far from PEI. They could've gotten to the Island fairly quickly. *nods*
foreverzach.net

GreenTree
Pat's Meow

Post by GreenTree » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 pm

I always wondered why the series finale wan't a two hour special like most are. I agree with previous comments that there were too many unecessary episodes in the final season. From Away and Davey and the Mermaid were completly useless and it should have been fairly easy to schedule a two part.
I would certainly have liked seeing all the main characters have more screentime than just Gus and Felicity. For some reason, I never got in to Felix and Izzys romance,(although I was never particularly a fan of Izzy Pettibone) but since it was popular among many fans it should have been completed or ended
(maybe the romance felt awkward to them and they decide to remain just friends.
Since the series never bothered to do anything with Molly Atkinson's Cecily I don't know that much they could have done with her in the finale. I think it would have made the series more dramatic if Cecily had died in season 5.
I very much wanted to see more of Sara in SDTMH but instead she had almost no screentime and was just there. I wanted to see more interaction with her family particularly Gus as they hadn't even interacted since the fourth season. I wanted to know about what she was doing and her plan for the future. Also, perhaps Arthur could have shown up? Then they could continue where they left off in Comings and Goings.
I found it odd that the Macewans were not there and it was very annoying that Aunt Eliza was not there when she should have been (problems with scheduling perhaps?). Despite the fact that I liked them, and they were family, Roger and Andrew had not even been mentioned since season three. By this time in the series their characters were almost irrelevant to the series and its unlikely the writers would even bother to put them in the episode. They should have appeared more or been mentioned alot more frequently throughout the series, which is kind of odd consedering that they are Kings.
Davey Keith received way to much attention in the later series. I never liked Davey, He was pointless, particularly in the early seasons when we still had Felix as the troublemaker. I think Davey and Dora belonged more in the Anne sequels instead of Avonlea. I would have rather seen Daniel or Lucky Macewan replace Felix as the troublemaker in the series.
Despite this episode being almost completly Gus Felicity centered, I think since all the main characters returned, the episode was probabley good enough; although I was really disapointed when I saw it.

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Post by Felixthecat50 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:36 pm

I think the problem may have had to do with the actors, what happened to the boy who played Andrew? What about Peter Craig? Perhaps they made the personal choice to leave after the first few seasons, perhaps Joel Blake and Miklos Perlus decided that they didn't want to be on the show anymore. I believe Perlus was at least 13 when the show started, his last episode he must have been 15 or so..who wants to be on a show when they're in high school? As if it isn't awkward and horrible enough. Those years you just want to go by unnoticed by anyone and anything.

When it comes to Davy's character, they were clearly looking for another young boy character to take the place of not Andrew and Peter, but also Felix. Felix was growing up and Morgan never really became much of a character on the show. I'm not saying Davy was a good character, he was just sort of there. He didn't replace Felix or the camaraderie between Peter, Andrew, and Felix. He did what he was supposed to do, the actor who played him always did a good job. I'll give him that.

I guess we'll never really know why the show went in the direction it did, simply that Avonlea changed after the first few seasons.

btw Sara does show up sometime later on in the series and states that she wants to study writing in France. Before that she decides to take a trip abroad before school. So I can kind of see why Sara would be busy. I believe Sarah Polley herself was personally finished with the show.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Felixthecat50 wrote:I think the problem may have had to do with the actors, what happened to the boy who played Andrew? What about Peter Craig? Perhaps they made the personal choice to leave after the first few seasons, perhaps Joel Blake and Miklos Perlus decided that they didn't want to be on the show anymore. I believe Perlus was at least 13 when the show started, his last episode he must have been 15 or so..who wants to be on a show when they're in high school? As if it isn't awkward and horrible enough. Those years you just want to go by unnoticed by anyone and anything.
The only thing I know regarding Joel was that, while working on the show, he became interested in what was going on behind the camera. Where he is now and what he's doing these days is probably the biggest mystery of RTA, now. *nods* (Before that, it was what happened to Harmony, and why the Great Cecily Switch happened.)

Miklos went on to appear in Student Bodies in the late 1990s, and he has other credits from in between the time he left RTA and then. These days he's written for several other shows, including Degrassi. And he still acts and does voiceover work occasionally. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0674280/
Felixthecat50 also wrote:btw Sara does show up sometime later on in the series and states that she wants to study writing in France. Before that she decides to take a trip abroad before school. So I can kind of see why Sara would be busy. I believe Sarah Polley herself was personally finished with the show.
Sara never went abroad before going to school in Paris (as in, not in the time between her appearances in S5 and her coming back in S6). She went back to Montreal. And yeah, by then Sarah was done with the show.
GreenTree wrote:Since the series never bothered to do anything with Molly Atkinson's Cecily I don't know that much they could have done with her in the finale. I think it would have made the series more dramatic if Cecily had died in season 5.
I think it would've taken an overly melancholy turn, even if it was implied canon. (In The Golden Road, Beverley's narration implied that Cecily would die young, and she was consumptive toward the end of the book.) It would've dragged the show down.
GT also wrote:Despite the fact that I liked them, and they were family, Roger and Andrew had not even been mentioned since season three. By this time in the series their characters were almost irrelevant to the series and its unlikely the writers would even bother to put them in the episode. They should have appeared more or been mentioned alot more frequently throughout the series, which is kind of odd consedering that they are Kings.
Roger was mentioned at least once in between S2 and the end. I can't remember which episode it was, but it was said that Roger had taken a job at Dalhousie University. (You'd think Felicity would mention if she met up with him as she, eventually, went to Dal herself.) I believe Andrew got a mention at some point as well.

Curse the Vortex!
foreverzach.net

GreenTree
Pat's Meow

Post by GreenTree » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:57 pm

In some ways that whole Cecily fiasco may have been avoided if they had just cast Asia Vierea instead of Harmony.
With Roger I think the last time I heard him mentioned was After The Honeymoon when he sends Jasper that Vampire Bat. I don''t think that Andrew was mentioned again after The Ties That Bind. I atleast never heard his name again and I don't recall this scene where it mentiones that Andrew started school at Dalhousie.
With Joel Blake it seems odd that there is nothing on him anywhere. I have found info on pretty much every single other actor that had a role on RTA (the only other exception being Mark Bigney who played the first Morgan Pettibone). He's probably around somewhere. If someone took the time to ask a bunch a people with the name Joel Blake on facebook than who knows, you may just find him!
In the Avonlea Chronicle Joel also mentioned that he had no desire to continue acting largley because he had just started High School and enjoyed an active Social Life. This was largely the exact same reason Sarah left the series as well. Joel also wanted to put more time into his sports as well.

Cordelia
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Cordelia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:27 am

This thread has become some sort of outlet to publish "hate-mail" about the show and its apparent "flaws." Lets be real people. None of us would even be on this forum if we weren't mega-fans of Avonlea. Lets focus on the things we love about the show; sharing what we think about characters and themes and LM Montgomery. Lets not use this forum to rip up something that we can't change anyway.

-Avonlea Fans Forever-
"I don't want sunbursts or marble halls. I just want you."

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Post by Felixthecat50 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 am

The only thing I know regarding Joel was that, while working on the show, he became interested in what was going on behind the camera. Where he is now and what he's doing these days is probably the biggest mystery of RTA, now. *nods* (Before that, it was what happened to Harmony, and why the Great Cecily Switch happened.)

Miklos went on to appear in Student Bodies in the late 1990s, and he has other credits from in between the time he left RTA and then. These days he's written for several other shows, including Degrassi. And he still acts and does voiceover work occasionally. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0674280/
Oh yea, I did look up Perlus, I was just wondering why he left Avonlea. It seems even stranger considering his avid interest in the film industry. Perhaps he really just wanted to finish high school like Joel.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that Harmony Camp was very troubled and became involved in drugs.
Sara never went abroad before going to school in Paris (as in, not in the time between her appearances in S5 and her coming back in S6). She went back to Montreal. And yeah, by then Sarah was done with the show.
Hmmm....I must be completely confused, but I don't remember her ever living in Montreal permanently. She frequented between Montreal and Avonlea to visit her Nanny Louise, but she was never actually supposed to be living in Montreal permanently. If so please explain which episode she decide to move to Montreal or at least when it was mentioned that she moved permanently to Montreal. In the episode Comings and Goings from season 6, she'd only been in Montreal for 6 months. But her home was still Avonlea. In the episode, Comings and Goings she gets accepted to a famous and prestigious writing school in Paris and went with her Nanny Louisa on a trip abroad to Europe beforehand.
I think it would've taken an overly melancholy turn, even if it was implied canon. (In The Golden Road, Beverley's narration implied that Cecily would die young, and she was consumptive toward the end of the book.) It would've dragged the show down.
I suppose the death of a main character would have been too depressing, but at least it would have given her character a proper send off.
Roger was mentioned at least once in between S2 and the end. I can't remember which episode it was, but it was said that Roger had taken a job at Dalhousie University. (You'd think Felicity would mention if she met up with him as she, eventually, went to Dal herself.) I believe Andrew got a mention at some point as well
Well who says he's still there? Andrew was probably attending college before this point, considering that both Felicity and Sara were done with school, Andrew was at least Felicity's age or older. I always thought he was older and he was a pretty smart kid. He probably started Dalhousie early. I could see neither of them residing in Halifax considering Roger's prestige (And Andrew's potential for prestige) in the world of academia and science.
Last edited by Felixthecat50 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Post by Felixthecat50 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:50 am

This thread has become some sort of outlet to publish "hate-mail" about the show and its apparent "flaws." Lets be real people. None of us would even be on this forum if we weren't mega-fans of Avonlea. Lets focus on the things we love about the show; sharing what we think about characters and themes and LM Montgomery. Lets not use this forum to rip up something that we can't change anyway.
Why? What's wrong with critique?

In some ways I kind of agree, but I think it's totally valid for us to discuss certain aspects of the show that baffled or confused us. For example, Gus Pike's "death" wasn't really necessary. He was a sailor and that alone could have explained his absence. The reason to kill off Gus Pike and then bring him back created a lot of unrealistic and unnecessary drama.