Stuart McRae

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:28 am

The bottom line is that if you REALLY love somebody, you'll do whatever it takes to make them happy, even if that means losing them. Felicity was clearly still deeply in love with Gus, but Stuart put his own insecurities and hurt feelings ahead of Felicity. He was willing to marry a woman who wasn't in love with him because it suited him.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:33 pm

Well part of it may have been that he probably felt 'haunted' by the ghost of Gus Pike throughout their entire relationship and he was finally expressing what he felt along, now that Gus was in the flesh.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:39 am

Well, Stuart didn't fight very hard either. He could have said something like:

"Felicity, this man is clearly an imposter. Gus Pike had vision. It's obvious that this man is blind as a bat. Therefore, it can't be Gus Pike, now can it?"

But nooooo, he fled town with a big yellow streak down his back.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:45 am

irishcolleen wrote:The bottom line is that if you REALLY love somebody, you'll do whatever it takes to make them happy, even if that means losing them. Felicity was clearly still deeply in love with Gus, but Stuart put his own insecurities and hurt feelings ahead of Felicity. He was willing to marry a woman who wasn't in love with him because it suited him.
Can we really blame Stuart for this? That's the time he lived in, when a lot of people married for convenience and/or social status. Consider LM Montgomery and her loveless marriage to Ewan MacDonald.

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:51 pm

That's true, Tim. I guess my general dislike for Stuart colors my opinions slightly...that and my being a bit of a hopeless romantic!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:05 pm

Fortunately for us IrishColleen, Felicity avoids the Montgomery route and marries Gus.

The problem I have with Stuart is that he is a very weak rival. Other than that feeble confrontation with Gus at King Farm, Stuart goes out with a whimper.

Roo18
Harvest Ball Costume Winner

Post by Roo18 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Stuart knew that part of Felicity's heart was part of Gus. She told him before she left to Charleston, that the situation might change if she found Gus. This did change the situation because Felicity could not marry someone that she really love with all of her heart.

If you watch Felicty's Challenge you will see that David Ferry (Stuart) plays a villiager Harmon Andrew. I think that is funny beacuse Felicity is young when we first see David Ferry play a character is Avonlea. This is a little werid!!! :lol:
"Let's go get some ice cream, before Felix eats it all" - Felicity King
"Such dreams Felix. Where do they go?" - Felicity King

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:43 am

And that gets back to the central question of why did Felicity decided to marry Stuart if she didn't love him? If she believed so strongly in loving the person she marries, then why did she accept Stuart's proposal?

katie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by katie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:30 am

It was just what Felicity told Gus when he asked if she loved him. It wasn't love...it was companionship and he was a great friend to her when she didn't want to even live anymore. She just wanted companionship and she wanted to move on with her life and possibly grow to love Stuart *shudder*. He helped her, so she'd help him by marrying him.
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:41 am

Isn't that backwards though. Wouldn't Felicity put love before marriage?
Companionship is fine, but that doesn't mean she has to marry him. There must be another reason. Maybe she promised to marry Stuart because he was the town banker and was established.

This is all making Felicity seem very shallow.

katie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by katie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:26 pm

Well, the love of her life is "dead". After that point, she gave up on finding that love and just settled for companionship (which is what a lot of people do today). He helped with the children and he was so kind to her (and believe me, I want to throw up just tying this stuff about Stuey) and he wanted to marry her, so she wanted to repay him, I guess. Terminology is off, but she was depressed...people do weird things when they're depressed. Plus, I also think she did it because her parents *coughJanetcough* kinda pressured her into it. She didn't want them to worry about her, hence the engagement.

I don't think she's shallow though. I mean, as soon as she even thought Gus was still alive she ran off to SC and wouldn't stop until she found him. She left Stuart for her true love...something she told him might happen if she found Gus.
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Roo18
Harvest Ball Costume Winner

Post by Roo18 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:24 pm

I believe that Felicity made the decision to marry Stuart because she was not wanting to be alone for the rest of her life; if she never hear about or from Gus Pike. Stuart continue to ask Felicity to marry him.... but she said she was not really marry him then she talked with Great Aunt Eliza. Great Aunt Eliza say that she "did he same thing as Felicity and not forgetting her forst love" and as well she tells "Don't let that first love be your last one". I believe that this play a part in the reason she accepted Stuart's proposal.
"Let's go get some ice cream, before Felix eats it all" - Felicity King
"Such dreams Felix. Where do they go?" - Felicity King

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:20 pm

katie wrote:He helped with the children and he was so kind to her (and believe me, I want to throw up just tying this stuff about Stuey) and he wanted to marry her, so she wanted to repay him, I guess.
Katie, I think you might be getting a soft spot for Stuey.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:23 pm

Why do we dislike or in some cases hate Stuart so much?

When I first saw Stuart, I wasn’t impressed. When I realized he was trying to court Felicity, my dislike for him was set. Why? Why did I decide so quickly I didn’t like him. Reading here and in another forum, I’ve realized I’m not alone in my dislike for him.

On reflection, this is my conclusion. I’m bios against his looks and age. He’s not handsome and he looks old. At his age, he could hang out with Felicity’s father. This is the root of my dislike for him. If the a younger and handsomer man had come and courted Felicity, I might have given him a chance. This is ugly reflection on myself, I’m bios to looks (at least on tv show). I’m not alone in this bios. Some RTA Fans have talked about how cute is Michael Mahonen (Gus) is. This tells me looks do count.

Gus Pike, also, had a personality that won me over. Stuart lacked this. If Stuart had won me over with his personality, I could have overlooked his age and looks. Summary of Stuart personality: Banker, likes Felicity, likes kids, likes Felicity, cares about his friends, and likes Felicity. Stuart never won me over. He never convinced me that he had a passion for anything but Felicity.

In real life, personality and honesty are a very important factor in whom I choose to associate myself with. I don’t choose friends by how they look. I choose them by how they act and who they are. I try not to be bios against looks, though if someone looks like shady character I avoid them for my own safety. If Felicity was my friend in real life, I would advise her to follow her heart. If her heart said Stuart then Stuart it is. Yet on a tv show, I have different standards. The Romantic interest should be charismatic and/or handsome. There must be drama and tension in the romance. Felicity/Stuart's romance lack these things. Am I terrible for having double standards for tv show and real life? I don’t know.

The Truth is Stuart never won us over by his looks, age, or personality. He was doomed to lose Felicity even before he began. Of course, anyone who loved Felicity was doom to failure once Gus Pike returned.

My favorite Stuart quote: Return to me?

Stuart she’s lost to you forever, she always was.

The Story Girl
Found work at the Cannery

Post by The Story Girl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:41 am

I feel sorry for Stuart. The poor guy.
Avonlea is my second home.