Stuart McRae

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Re:

Post by hannikan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks, avonleamom, I obviously think too much about these things. :D
katie wrote:Well, the love of her life is "dead". After that point, she gave up on finding that love and just settled for companionship (which is what a lot of people do today). He helped with the children and he was so kind to her (and believe me, I want to throw up just tying this stuff about Stuey) and he wanted to marry her, so she wanted to repay him, I guess. Terminology is off, but she was depressed...people do weird things when they're depressed. Plus, I also think she did it because her parents *coughJanetcough* kinda pressured her into it. She didn't want them to worry about her, hence the engagement.

I don't think she's shallow though. I mean, as soon as she even thought Gus was still alive she ran off to SC and wouldn't stop until she found him. She left Stuart for her true love...something she told him might happen if she found Gus.
I agree with this, too. This is sort of what I was saying about settling for marrying "pieces of Gus". I have been reading AHoD and I really think S7 Felicity was based loosely on Leslie Moore. Her despondency and feeling like her youth had been robbed (although Felicity is older than Leslie was when she started to feel this way she continued to into adulthood). Leslie had given up on the possibility of love, too. They certainly aren't identical (for one thing Leslie gets a new first love in her late 20's and Felicity gets Gus back) but I think there are some similarities. Also I think a lot of the Gus lost at sea stuff was taken from the stories Captain Jim told (lost Margaret and the schoolmaster's bride).
ImageImageImageImage

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Re: Stuart McRae

Post by The Chef » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:34 pm

The character who played Stuart actually also played a minor part in the episode about the harvest festival. In the general store and at the harvest party with the apple bowl.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 am

Ahh--it's great to see we are still talking about good old Stuart! Funny, he appears to be more "talked" about here then Gus Pike. I think there are more Stuart fans here then like to admit :lol: .
( either that or even after all these years, we are still in SHOCK that he was chosen as Felicity beu!).

This is a great thread, this discussion helped me see why I disliked Stuart so much. So of course, I've got to join back into this discussion!
I think it would have made Arthur an unlikeable character to have him return to try to win Felicity after Gus's death (any character no matter how handsome and charismatic would have been hated at that position) and I think the writers didn't want Arthur to be unlikeable at that point. He was already disliked by most viewers when he was a rival because we had already invested in Felicity and Gus but he had developed other likable qualities and relationships since then. He would have become even more unlikeable in S7 than he was originally. I think the only character that would have been a possible replacement for Gus (I don't think of Stuart as a rival because he's really never a rival to Gus only a possibility if there is no Gus) would have been Seth Pritchard because he had also lost his wife.
Oh Hannikan, I have to disagree on this. I liked Arthur back when he first showed up in Season 4. I liked to see the rivalry between Gus and Arthur. Of course, I was rooting for Gus to win but I loved the drama of them fighting over Felicity. I'd have loved to see that again if they had brought Arthur back to Season 7. The drama of choosing between Gus, when he returned, and Arthur could have been intense. The writer's would have had to set up someone for Arthur to have after Gus returned---some hinting that Arthur, though he liked Felicity, he also was starting to like someone else. Thus, we can still have the Avonlea happy ending with Gus and Felicity getting married and Athur having someone. Of course, this whole plot line would taken a lot more time to set up (more episodes). I'd gladly trade a few of those Davey episodes for this cause! :lol:

Seth Pritchard...hmmm..that's an idea. But from what I've seen of him, he seems too nice and someone I'd feel really sorry for when he got dumped after Gus Pike comes back. With Stuart, I dislike him and don't feel sorry for him. With Seth, I might cry over his loss at love twice--dead wife and lost Felicity. I feel too sorry for him.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:23 am

Yeah, that would have taken a lot more episodes than Gema was available for. I suppose Zachary Ainsley (Arthur) may have been available for more episodes in S7 but he may not have been. He was only in one. I don't know, I really think whomever they chose to be a potential replacement for Gus, esp because it happened very quickly in real time (though in RTA time it had been a year), would have been pretty hated. Yes Stuart was far too old and that was a major problem but even if he hadn't been, the audience wouldn't have liked him because he seemed to be opportunistic, sweeping in. But at least he was new in town and didn't know all the history, never knew Gus. Arthur did, so to me, he would have seemed even more calculating. Like he'd sat back and waited for Gus to disappear and then taken advantage of a grieving fiancee. As a newcomer, Stuart was an expendable character who could easily be run out of town, but Arthur was not. I really think the only exception would have been Seth because he had also lost his wife. And they seemed to be hinting that something might happen btwn Seth and Felicity in Homecoming and Out of the Ashes. But like you (and I previously) said, that would have been far too sad when Gus returned. Even if Mavis showed up on the scene at some point. Although you like Arthur and there are some die-hard Arthur fans, many people did not like him already when he originally appeared as a rival. He definitely developed to become more likable as time went on, and devoid of Felicity. Even of those who like Arthur and liked the rivalry btwn Gus and Arthur, many think that returning to that rivalry would have been rehashing the same plot again. If they were going to do it, the most logical way IMO would have been to have Arthur decide earlier to become a doctor, allowing him to interact with Felicity either at Dalhousie or during some medical crisis in Avonlea. Like if he'd been there in Homecoming when the boat exploded and Colleen went into labor. They could work side by side and, due to being thrown together, things could develop romantically or seem to be headed that way. Something would have had to force them to interact again, but in a very different way than previously, since Felicity clearly chose Gus over Arthur previously. And I actually did explore this idea at a later point in the storyline in my fan fiction...
ImageImageImageImage

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 am

But at least he was new in town and didn't know all the history, never knew Gus. Arthur did, so to me, he would have seemed even more calculating. Like he'd sat back and waited for Gus to disappear and then taken advantage of a grieving fiancee. As a newcomer, Stuart was an expendable character who could easily be run out of town, but Arthur was not.
Very true. Stuart can run out of town and we aren't crying, we doing high fives that he's finally gone. But that's where the drama was lost--I was to happy to see him go--too happy. I wish I could have regretted him leaving, just for a moment. That where the drama was lost.

Arthur more calculating-- Oh absolutely!!!--An example would be when he got his dance with Felicity behind Gus's back. It could seem a bit cold and unlikable if he "just happen" to show up when Gus disappeared. However, your idea about them being throw together through a medial crisis could work and make Arthur more likable. But yes, the writers couldn't have added Arthur into the last season and then just toss him out in the last episode. This is why more episodes more have been dedicated to this plot line.
He definitely developed to become more likable as time went on, and devoid of Felicity.
It's funny that you say that--I liked him best in Incident At Vernon River--the episode he first shows up in. I like it because it seems obvious why Felicity falls for him--Gus stood her up and Arthur is only other young man in town! Also, in the fourth season, it's one of the only episodes where Arther has a storyline outside of chasing Felicity.
Even of those who like Arthur and liked the rivalry btwn Gus and Arthur, many think that returning to that rivalry would have been rehashing the same plot again.
Not necessarily, there is a bigger issue Felicity is facing then which boy to choose. Does she put her life on hold for the "ghost of Gus Pike" or does she move on and keep living. It has interesting parallel to Hetty's story with Romney Penhallow. I've wonder if Romney hadn't died would Hetty have married him and if that's the reason she never got married. Maybe this was another reason for Hetty being so faithful to Gus's memory--she was a firm believer in only one true love. Arthur would have to face competition with the "ghost of Gus Pike"--which is a whole lot harder then facing a real person.
Although you like Arthur and there are some die-hard Arthur fans, many people did not like him already when he originally appeared as a rival. If they were going to do it, the most logical way IMO would have been to have Arthur decide earlier to become a doctor, allowing him to interact with Felicity either at Dalhousie or during some medical crisis in Avonlea. Like if he'd been there in Homecoming when the boat exploded and Colleen went into labor. They could work side by side and, due to being thrown together, things could develop romantically or seem to be headed that way. Something would have had to force them to interact again, but in a very different way than previously, since Felicity clearly chose Gus over Arthur previously. And I actually did explore this idea at a later point in the storyline in my fan fiction...
I'd be curious to see that fan fiction sometime, is there somewhere it is posted online?

I never felt like the Arthur storyline was finished. In Season 4, the last episode we see Arthur seems to "hint" that he'll be back.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:33 am

Oh yeah, sorry I should have linked the fanfic. Arthur doesn't show up until about halfway through the story. This is the first section: (It's long as it was intended to be a mini-series to follow HCMK. It's over 150 pages altogether. I'm now trying to figure out how it could be modified due to Jackie Burrough's death. I think we could possibly see a film in her memory so...)
http://www.anneofgreengables.com/forum/ ... f=8&t=4946

I do like Arthur in Incident, too. I think it does make him possibly more likable to have that episode first but I think many people forget about it by the middle of S4 during the rivalry. I meant he becomes more likable in S6 and 7 because he's helping Sara, Izzy and Morgan as well as developing a better relationship with his father. He smiles a bit more so he doesn't look as much like an undertaker, too. :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm now trying to figure out how it could be modified due to Jackie Burrough's death. I think we could possibly see a film in her memory so...)
that's thoughtful you...good luck with the modification.

I agree that Arther smiles more in s6 and s7. The fact that Arther and Felicity don't even seem to say hello to each other in those seasons (in such a small town you can't help but bump into each other), suggests that they aren't interested in each other anymore. Many RTA fans may not like him in S4 because he trys to split up Felicity and Gus. I, however, liked Arthur though out his whole time in the Avonlea. It doesn't change through out the seasons, it stays the same for me.

HistoryMiner
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by HistoryMiner » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:11 pm

I liked Arthur the whole way through too, Miss Lewis.
hannikan wrote:Yes Stuart was far too old and that was a major problem but even if he hadn't been, the audience wouldn't have liked him because he seemed to be opportunistic, sweeping in. But at least he was new in town and didn't know all the history, never knew Gus. Arthur did, so to me, he would have seemed even more calculating. Like he'd sat back and waited for Gus to disappear and then taken advantage of a grieving fiancee. As a newcomer, Stuart was an expendable character who could easily be run out of town, but Arthur was not.
While I would have loved to see more Arthur, I too think it would have been damaging to his character to have him seemingly swoop in after Gus "died".
Very true. Stuart can run out of town and we aren't crying, we doing high fives that he's finally gone. But that's where the drama was lost--I was to happy to see him go--too happy. I wish I could have regretted him leaving, just for a moment. That where the drama was lost.
For me, that's why the Stuart storyline didn't work. I was so disengaged with this character that it made Felicity's entire storyline unenjoyable even though she was one of my favorite characters.
Seth Pritchard...hmmm..that's an idea. But from what I've seen of him, he seems too nice and someone I'd feel really sorry for when he got dumped after Gus Pike comes back. With Stuart, I dislike him and don't feel sorry for him. With Seth, I might cry over his loss at love twice--dead wife and lost Felicity. I feel too sorry for him.
For me, this would have made the Felicity story in S7 a lot more touching and much more effective. It would be tricky, but I think possible, to write it so that Seth is not dumped, and if it is a mutual decision when both Seth and Felicity realize that their feelings for each were not romantic, or if Seth realizes himself that he is not ready. The problem is the timing of when S7 started, which was a year after S6... would some viewers have thought it was too much that neither of them were ready after more than a year? Would it have impeded the theme of moving on? I think it would have been very poignant to watch. I guess some might argue it wouldn't fit into the show, I do think the tone of S7 had shifted enough that it would have fit just fine.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 am

For me, this would have made the Felicity story in S7 a lot more touching and much more effective. It would be tricky, but I think possible, to write it so that Seth is not dumped, and if it is a mutual decision when both Seth and Felicity realize that their feelings for each were not romantic, or if Seth realizes himself that he is not ready.
ah, HistoryMiner , that might work. To compete that story arc right, Felicity and Seth would have to discover that they were together because they just "needed" someone BEFORE Gus Pike came back to the island. Felicity realizes before Gus cames back that she wasn't in love with Seth. This would break the drama of Felicity having two suitors in the last episode but be better and kinder to nice Seth. Though, this story arc would be more complex because Seth has a baby girl. Would Felicity regret saying goodbye to his little baby? Would Seth find "real love" with someone else? To tie up the ends and have a happy ending for Seth, it would be better that Felicity realizes before she finds Gus that she doesn't love Seth. ( Also, Seth doesn't have the wealth like Stuart does...thus one would wonder if Janet would encourage Felicity to accept Seth as Janet encourage Felicity to accept Stuart)

Most of us agree that Stuart isn't our ideal suitor for Felicity, but after looking at the possible Seth and Felicity story arc, the Stuart arc has more "drama" to it then the Seth arc would. Stuart comes face to face with Gus. He gets mad and runs away. Could your picture Seth and Gus having a face to face confrontation? How could it have a happy ending for Seth if he still likes Felicity when Gus returns? Perhaps, it is better that we dislike Stuart then to like Felicity's suitor--it makes the loose ends easier to tie up quickly.

LittleMissLynde
Bright Station Arrival

Post by LittleMissLynde » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 am

I agree with HistoryMiner and Miss Lewis- Seth would have been a much more dynamic pairing for Felicity in Season 7. I think they may not have paired Seth and Felicity so they could have Seth contrast Felicity by moving on. Though by doing so, I believe they missed a great opportunity to have the fans really feel something for the characters.
"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ~Lewis Carroll Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:33 pm

I am not a Stuart fan. That being said, I don't think I would have liked the idea of replacing Stuart with Seth; however, If Seth and Colleen had been Peter and Clemmie, I would be willing to buy into that storyline a lot more. Peter and Felicity at least had a shared background. I remember the first time I saw "A Time to Every Purpose," I thought the writers were trying just a little too hard to make Seth similar to Gus (and a future love interest for Felicity). I was shocked when he married Mavis as soon as he did, but since they were all new characters, I really didn't have emotional energy invested in any of them.

Now let's change the scenario a little. If Seth was replaced by Peter and Colleen was replaced by Clemmie, I would feel very different about the entire storyline. Peter and Clemmie may not have been my favorite characters, but I cared about what happened to them. A Peter/Felicity pairing would not only bring Felicity's character full circle, but it would also harken back to 'Golden Road.' I would have appreciated a nod to LMM in the final season, even if RTA Felicity marries Gus in the end.

JudyDwyer059
Bright Station Arrival

Post by JudyDwyer059 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 am

Had the producers placed a young and handsome man as Felicity's suitor, it wouldn't have been as easy for the viewers to cast him off after Gus' return. Remember that Stuart wasn't even in every episode during the 7th season. We weren't supposed to get attached to him. Gus had been off the show for quite awhile and if viewers had the opportunity to fall in love with a dashing young man, Gus could have eventually been forgotten.

Mike Mahonan wanted out of the series on a regular basis to pursue other interests. He was much older than Gema as was Stuart. The only atribute that I would give the character if Gus is that he was in better physical shape than Stuart Mcrae.

The series was ending. There wasn't time to make the suitors rivals or to make the end more interesting. Loose ends had to be tied together quickly.

I thought David Ferry did a fine job portraying the middle aged suitor who gave Felicity a chance at love again. How many real suitors were there in small towns in that era ?

This was a series that was highly entertaining. It was just that....a fictional series.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:22 am

JudyDwyer059 wrote:Had the producers placed a young and handsome man as Felicity's suitor, it wouldn't have been as easy for the viewers to cast him off after Gus' return. Remember that Stuart wasn't even in every episode during the 7th season. We weren't supposed to get attached to him. Gus had been off the show for quite awhile and if viewers had the opportunity to fall in love with a dashing young man, Gus could have eventually been forgotten.
I don't buy this for five seconds. Gus was a very popular character, and most fans cite Gus and Felicity as their favourite couple. For someone to have topped Gus as a suitor for Felicity, he'd have to have been more than young and handsome; he'd have to have a more dynamic personality (if at all possible) and have the same basic character traits, only amplified. That's a tall order.
Mike Mahonan wanted out of the series on a regular basis to pursue other interests. He was much older than Gema as was Stuart. The only atribute that I would give the character if Gus is that he was in better physical shape than Stuart Mcrae.
Gema was born May 24, 1976 (will be 35 this year). David Ferry is practically old enough to be her father (born September 6, 1951; he'll be 60). By contrast, Mick is just twelve years older than she is (MM was born April 27, 1964; will be 47). At the time the final season was being filmed, a then-31-year-old Michael could still pass for someone in his early-to-mid twenties. (Gus and Felicity had a three-year age difference. Alternatively, I presume Stuart was supposed to be middle-aged.)
The series was ending. There wasn't time to make the suitors rivals or to make the end more interesting. Loose ends had to be tied together quickly.
And yet not all loose ends were tied up, were they?
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

HistoryMiner
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by HistoryMiner » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:19 pm

While I definitely agree that using actual past characters would have been more emotionally moving, Clemmie dying would have been too sad, and Peter being paired with Felicity would have felt a little unnatural, given they hardly seemed close in the earlier season, plus Peter was younger than Felicity (more like Felix's age, it seemed), and I don't think I would have wanted to see him already having a baby. Seth and Colleen were new characters, but I think the actors did a great job and made me like them by the end of "A Time For Every Purpose". I didn't find Seth that similar to Gus.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:05 pm

I agree with what Shelly said about Stuart (he was plenty old enough to be her father) and people being invested in Gus and Felicity. People cared very much whether Gus and Felicity stayed together by S6. It's sort of ridiculous to suggest otherwise. In addition to that, people loved the character of Gus independent of Felicity. He was one of the most popular characters of the show. I also agree with HM about swapping out Clemmie and Peter for Seth and Colleen. I didn't have much invested in Clemmie at all (in the books the only one who likes her is Cecily, too). By S6, I had forgotten about Clemmie honestly. As for Peter I could see bringing him back if he had changed a lot. Like if he had become a successful businessman and could offer her different things than Gus could. It was fine to me that Colleen was a new character to us but one that Felicity was supposed to have known as a girl before Sara came to Avonlea. Seth and Colleen were very interesting in only one episode whereas Clemmie was like a sidenote being in multiple episodes. While Seth and Gus had some basic similarities, the characters were quite different. Seth didn't strike me as having been poor growing up, just that he and Colleen were struggling because they had no help nearby. And he had no connection to the sea, which was a big part of who Gus was.
ImageImageImageImage