Stuart McRae

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
JudyDwyer059
Bright Station Arrival

Re: Stuart McRae

Post by JudyDwyer059 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:54 am

I Would have married Stuart in a heartbeat. He was prosperous, considerate, affectionate and attentive. He had no history with the series but I doubt that “new blood” came around very often in those days. Any woman should be so lucky as to have a man pant after her like that. I’m possibly the only Stuart McRae fan on the planet but that’s okay with me.

How many women realistically would marry a blind man who had no skills other than fishing and basket weaving just because they had history together ? Who would pay the bills ? I doubt that Felicity got paid for her efforts.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:43 am

JudyDwyer059 wrote:considerate,
The same person who told Felicity to, for all practical purposes, forget the man she TRULY LOVED (Gus) and focus all her attention on him? The same person who asked "What about me?" after learning that she was going to find out whether or not Gus was alive? The same person who eventually said to Gus, "If you were any kind of gentleman, you'd leave?" (In between the lines: "Felicity is MINE now; get out of MY way.") Yeah, Stuart was very considerate in those regards. :roll:
How many women realistically would marry a blind man who had no skills other than fishing and basket weaving just because they had history together ? Who would pay the bills ? I doubt that Felicity got paid for her efforts.
In my book, a history of LOVE and consideration for my own feelings and wants in life trumps convenience. I'd much rather marry a blind man I was head over heels in love with than a sighted banker I had no affection for but only considered (largely) to get family off my back.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

adelphahighbrow
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by adelphahighbrow » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Stuart just plain creeped me out. I hate when writers do little ratings boosters by pulling a character out of nowhere to inexplicably fall in love with one of the main characters at first sight. Notice they have no personal lives or interests outside of their love for the person they just met. Stuart didn't have a story, just did the easy "my family wanted me to be a banker" and from then on out he was all over Felicity. He bored me and I'm repulsed by men that are all too good with kids and the women think it's adorable. He was sooo boring. It was writing into a corner about how they wanted to to the melodramatic Days of Our Lives Gus reunion. Gus is fine but the whole romance was the biggest eyeroll to me.

But back to my point, Stuart just seemed like the fakest boring safe guy that was just suspiciously willing to do anything to marry her. In the words of Arrested Development, "Her?"

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:53 am

He simply didn't fit in with the other characters. I remember the first time the same actor appeared on the show, which was in the general store in 'Felicity's Challenge', where they were talking about Judson parker. There he was dressed as a commoner, and he should have stayed that way. To me he was always to neatly dressed, and his whole manner just felt 'un-avonlea-ish'. He wasn't a real village man. He was to reserved, there were no 'sparks' and no 'liveleness'. Emmet for example appeared only once, and he was at least a 'lively' person. You could believe he and Alec grew up together.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 am

A few years back, Katie had a website called 'Not Just Another Avonlea Site' that featured some funny stuff on Stuart, including captions for a picture of Stuart next to a horse:

*Stuart in his natural habitat
*Stuart with his new bride (don't we all pity her?)
*Stuart with his own kind
*Has Stuart seen a ghost? Oh no, that's just his natural expression/face (*shudders*)

While the site is no longer active, you may be able to see Katie's Stuart webpage archived here. If it doesn't load, you can click on the 'impatient?' link.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:51 pm

I totally forgot about that! That was a lovely revisit; thanks, Tim! :)
foreverzach.net

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by felicity18 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 pm

I never liked Stuart. He didn't fit in with the other characters and Avonlea. In other words, he stood out like a sore thumb. He was a kind gentleman and everything but the man had no personnality. He was the plainest character on the show, even Mrs. Bugle and Mrs. Potts had more personnality than Stuart. I'll never understand why he was so eager to marry Felicity, why she said yes to the idiot and why she actually fell for him. I think one of the reasons why Felicity said yes to Stuart was, partly because he was there and Gus wasn't and that her family (specically Janet and Aunt Eliza) kept pushing her to accept. Like Felix once said, Stuart is not half the man that Gus is and never will be.
JudyDwyer059 wrote:I Would have married Stuart in a heartbeat. He was prosperous, considerate, affectionate and attentive. Any woman should be so lucky as to have a man pant after her like that.
I completly disagree with that satement. The man had no personnality, he was the most boring character that ever appeared on RTA.
I agree with Shelly. I would rather marry a man who was blind that I was head over heels in love with than marry someone else. Love can triumph over any obstacle and besides what Felicity and Gus had in the series was true love. They were soul mates. Providence matched them up the day they met.

felicity18
"Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

adelphahighbrow
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by adelphahighbrow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Yeah, I don't really understand the bill paying complaint. Gus was one of the hardest workers around. Maybe the hardest because he came from absoutely nothing and kept improving himself as opposed to hard workers like Alec who have never really been homeless. He pursued making an honest living when we first saw him, choosing to further his education where most people of his age (especially in that era) wouldn't bother, and working hard at so many different things. He sailed, he farmed when he thought he could help, he worked in the service industry and almost made assistant manager of White Sands, and did hard labour through it all. He was a Hufflepuff through and through. I don't see him as a dead-end nobody by any means. That kind of work ethic ANY woman would want. The economy can bull and bear- hard times come, prestigious banking jobs are lost (my friend's husband was the best bank manager around and got laid off in a merger) but a man that takes pride in working any way he can to provide is an absolute keeper.

There are men who give up on life when their financial stability is shaken. Their pride is dented, they feel their self-worth was lost along with their job, and they become estranged from their wives. Gus isn't so vain. He'd find any way he could to support his family, even if it were humble, and just do it. My father was a janitor with a master's degree. You can't keep them down. You can scrub toilets to the glory of God if you do your best at it. Banker schmanker. Besides, Felicity had a hat full of jobs she wanted to do anyway. If worse came to worse Gus would be a great stay at home dad.

janbo
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by janbo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:21 pm

I didnt like him... nor his relationship with Felicity... it was obvious from the beggining that she didnt love him... it was not love !
I think it would be better if Seth was the one who fall in love with her ( after he lost Coleen ) ... maybe Arthur..
But maybe writers just wanted to have somebody new who she won't be happy with.. because in the end she will find her happiness with her true love however..

topkapi56
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by topkapi56 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:23 pm

I never saw what redeeming qualities Gus Pike ever saw in Felicity. She was arrogant, selfish and self-centered. I kept hoping she would marry Stuart, so poor Gus could find someone else. I would say Stuart dodged a bullet and years down the road he will be thankful he escaped.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:44 pm

topkapi56 wrote:She was arrogant, selfish and self-centered.
Young Felicity was definitely all those things.

But by S5? She was willing to abandon her newfound dream of medical school just to marry Gus, even though it ended up making her miserable. And in S7? If she were self-centred she would've married Stupid McBarf despite her better judgement, and she would've been miserable (LMM's marriage to Ewan MacDonald, anyone?), and she wouldn't have made the effort to go to South Carolina once she received The Phone Call.

If anything, in some ways, she needed Gus to bring her back down to earth, make her think of someone other than herself.
foreverzach.net

janbo
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by janbo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:59 pm

topkapi56 wrote:She was arrogant, selfish and self-centered.
Felicity's personality and behaviour have been developed through years... She was arrogant and selfish as young but she changed... People changed and she was the example of that... Well I guess Gus just loved something about her ( we don't choose who will fall in love with ), and she proved him she loves him and cares for him... If she didn't and if she was that self-centered, she wouldn't get into that long depression after Gus was lost... She went to get him back and care for him...

Marilla
King Farm Hired Hand

Re:

Post by Marilla » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:17 pm

alecking wrote:Poor, poor Stuart. Found guilty by most of the crime of DARING to fall in love with our beautiful Felicity. The casting people made sure his character wasn't as good looking as Gus or Sully's writers would have to find a way to kill Gus off. It's not fair to use todays values in place of 1911's. Stuart was a well respected, hard working, prosperous member of the community. By 1900's stantards, a very good catch indeed, even with the age difference.

From his viewpoint, he fell in love with a woman with emotional issues, was practically asked to propose a second time, had a wedding date, planned and started building their house of dreams and then came the bomb. Gus is alive, goodbye Stuart. Not fair, I say. He was a victim, not a villain. All I say is, "What if"? For what was known at the time, what if Gus was dead? Was Stuart all that bad? Did he not help Felicity come 'out of the ashes'? Please, don't get me wrong. I too like Gus. I just see poor Stu with different eyes.
Agreed. I love Gus (he is my absolute favorite character), but I really liked Stuart and felt bad for him when he got dumped. I AM glad that Felicity chose Gus, though. But I I didn't think Stuart deserved to get the shaft the way he did. If she had been engaged to Arthur Pettibone, who I hated, I would have felt much more comfortable with her ditching him. But that's what made the storyline layered and realistic; that was supposed to be a heart wrenching decision for her and that's how it came across to me.

Stuart was a good, stable guy with a good job and good values, and he was great with the kids. And he wasn't as handsome or sweet as Gus, but he was certainly not bad-looking and he was a gentleman. Gus is the hero, but Stuart is not the bad guy.

Cordelia
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Cordelia » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't see why Felicity even considered Stuart. He had a sob
story, and he was obviously madly inlove with Felicity, but he wasn't a
gentleman. He never did anything to prove worthiness, and he certainly
never seemed to think about anyone other than himself. Gus spent every day in Avonlea working to win Felicity's heart. In Hetty's words: He's a gentlemen through and through to the very core of his being. He deserved Felicity. He was her soulmate. A random passerby like Stuart McCrae is no match for Gus Pike. And the only person who needed to know that was Felicity. And she did.
"I don't want sunbursts or marble halls. I just want you."

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by felicity18 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:07 am

Cordelia wrote:I don't see why Felicity even considered Stuart. He had a sob
story, and he was obviously madly inlove with Felicity, but he wasn't a
gentleman. He never did anything to prove worthiness, and he certainly
never seemed to think about anyone other than himself. Gus spent every day in Avonlea working to win Felicity's heart. In Hetty's words: He's a gentlemen through and through to the very core of his being. He deserved Felicity. He was her soulmate. A random passerby like Stuart McCrae is no match for Gus Pike. And the only person who needed to know that was Felicity. And she did.
Thats exactly what I think. I agree with you 100%.

felicity18
"Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike