gus and felicity

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
andrea
Found work at the Cannery

gus and felicity

Post by andrea » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:18 pm

are they you're favorite couple? why? what sets them apart from the
other couples in the show?
that if you confess with your mouth the Lord
Jesus and believe in your heart that God has
raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
Romans 10:9

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:56 am

Well, I've always had a soft spot for Jasper and Olivia too.

However, I think there are several reasons why Felicity and Gus are more impressed on my brain as the show's central couple are:

~their love story acquires an epic quality to it. They are the Odysseus and Penelope of RTA. Even after multiple viewings, it is still a relief to see them end up together in the end.

~each has tons of charm and charisma. Now, everybody on that show could act. However, when those two shared scenes together, the actors sparked despite their age difference and their chemistry was quite palpable.

~their love story follows the show's evolution. It evolved as the show evolved. RTA has several love stories, but most of them feel specific only to a season. At the same time, as things changed in Avonlea, Gus and Felicity's love evolved with it.

I do think Gus and Felicity are a tad overrated and I do think other love storylines deserved more attention in the later seasons (Fizzy, especially). However, I do think Gus and Felicity hold up remarkably and consistantly well.
"We couldn't buy the logic that Jesus was the only way. That meant the Buddhists and Hindus who had never even heard of Christ Almighty were doomed to hell, while Ku Klux Klan members were not." From THE HUNDRED SECRET SENSES by Amy Tan.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:12 pm

No. Honestly, while I was happy they ended up together, the Gus/Felicity storyline did very little for me. I also think it's a bit overrated.

Felix and Izzy's, on the other hand... :D
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

oldfashionedgirl
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by oldfashionedgirl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:41 am

To be honest, I felt Gus deserved someone better. :shock:
I should know, as many said the same about my husband deserving better than me. :lol:

But as it often is in "real life", a couple will be unevenly matched. One becomes the making of the other. I just wished that Felecity could have been crazy about Gus and STAYED crazy about him.
~ "Oh, Look at that! She doin' a play!" ~ Gus Pike

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 pm

That's an interesting perspective, thinking Gus deserved better than Felicity. (A couple of times, in the series, Gus had said the opposite to others--that Felicity deserved better than him.)
foreverzach.net

oldfashionedgirl
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by oldfashionedgirl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:50 am

I guess I put character and kindness above "proper" manners, culture and education. I bet if Felicity never would have made any of her cruel remarks about Gus' situation, he wouldn't have had such doubts about himself. But of course the writers didn't write it that way. They have to keep that tension going. :)
~ "Oh, Look at that! She doin' a play!" ~ Gus Pike

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:28 pm

That makes sense. *nods*
foreverzach.net

jeremiah2911
King Farm Hired Hand

Fizzy

Post by jeremiah2911 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:34 pm

I would have to say the relationship between Felix and Izzy was my favorite. How often can the quiet tomboy grow up, win her best friend's heart and stay true to herself. Yes, part of me thinks she was a little too good for him, but they needed each other. He did seem to learn a little before running off to the navy.

It was unthinkable that she was not mentioned in HCMK :cry:

Besides, that marriage would have never been dull!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

vera
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by vera » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:43 pm

Although Olivia and Jasper are my favourite couple, I do really like the romance between Gus and Felicity-especially when they fight. To be perfectly honest I think you can see more chemistry between them when they fight then you do when they are happy together. I think that's mabe what makes them such a popular couple: there's almost always a conflict between them so as the watcher you're always wondering if they're really going to end up together.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:33 pm

Yep, they are my favorite! I love seeing the relationship unfold, the two of them mature (esp Felicity). The last 2 Fussy episodes are quite inspiring and actually remind me of my own husband and me. I enjoy Janet and Alec a lot, too. I liked seeing the romance never die for an older married couple! I also love Hetty and Romney together. They are the series' tragic couple though. Jasper and Olivia I like better earlier on but they continue to show devotion to each other. I like all the couples on Avonlea. They all have different qualities that make them great.
ImageImageImageImage