Who is Gus Pike's Daddy?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Who is Gus Pike's Daddy?

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:43 pm

Welcome to Avonlea 401: Advanced Studies of Road to Avonlea. Today’s lesson deals with a subject shrouded in the mystery of Avonlea lore:

Who is Gus Pike's daddy?

In fact, it’s so mysterious, confusing, and complex, that even the series producers don’t know the answer. Can we unravel the yarn of tangled story lines to solve the mystery (With one big knot called 'The Return of Gus Pike')? Let’s refer to the Avonleapedia for a review (Or you can skip this if you want):

***

In the second season, Gus Pike is introduced and we learn that Abe Pike was his father and in prison for murder. We further discover that the seemingly mad lighthouse operator Ezekiel Crane had once pursued Gus's mother, Eliza, but she denied his hand in marriage and instead married Abraham Pike (Should have gone with bachelor number three).

Hetty tells Gus that Abraham and Eliza Pike lived a short distance from Pat Frewan's farm. One night, in a fit of rage, Abe dragged Eliza to an asylum. Eliza became ill and Ezekiel rushed to her bedside. Eliza had Ezekiel promise her that he would help Abe Pike and keep an eye on her son, Gus Pike. Shortly afterwards, Eliza allegedly died. Or so we were told!

Ezekiel reluctantly harbored Abe Pike after he escaped from prison, in order to honor his word to Eliza. Gus soon discovered that Crane was hiding his villainous father and Ezekiel introduced the father to his son. Crane prevented Abe from taking Gus with him and a battle ensued atop the lighthouse, which resulted in Abe Pike plummeting to the rocky shore. Crane reveals Eliza's tombstone to Gus and Sara, with a cryptic engraving suggesting that Crane took part in the buriel proceedings.

Now on to the episode that opened a can of worms: Return of Gus Pike. Gus meets a woman he suspects is his mother in Halifax. These suspicions are confirmed when he uncovers her grave in Avonlea and finds a pile of rocks and no body. A box is dug up below the pulpit stone revealing a picture of Ezekiel and Eliza. Gus believes that the mystery woman is Eliza Pike and that Ezekiel might have been his real father. Gus and Eliza journey to Jamaica to seek Captain Crane to learn the truth... But for some reason, the truth is never known or even discussed again in the series.

***

Can we accept what ROGP implies? The episode revises Avonlea history. Hetty tells Gus that Abe and Eliza live a short distance from the Frewan farm, but in 'Aunt Hetty's Ordeal,' Hetty doesn't seem to know anything about Abe; and for someone to keep up on the news as Hetty does, she would be aware of an axe murder committed by a villager or former villager.

If we accept ROGP as somewhat true, then here are two theories:


Theory #1: Pro Abe ‘Dysfunctional Family’ Theory:

Abe Pike is Gus’s father. There is no reliable verbal confirmation to believe that Ezekiel is Gus’s father. Eliza’s gestures/implications are simply the mad wishes of an unbalanced woman who suffered years of abuse and made a bad choice by choosing Abe over Zeke. Abe hid Eliza in an asylum. Crane found Eliza and he made a promise. Abe discovered this and in a mad rage of jealousy, faked her death. Crane had no knowledge that Eliza was alive when he visited her grave. With Eliza dead, and no son, a treasure, and a promise fulfilled, there is no reason for Ezekiel to hang around Avonlea.


Theory #2: Pro Ezekiel ‘Love Child’ Theory:

Abe Pike learned that Eliza had conceived a son from Ezekiel and sent Eliza to the asylum in retaliation. Ezekiel managed to find Eliza and concocted a plan to fake her death and prevent further harm from Abe. Ezekiel either never learns that he is the father or he decides not to tell Gus so he can keep ALMOST ALL the treasure to himself and live it up in Jamaica. The producers hid this reality from sensitive Disney executives who really just want everyone to get along.

Which theory do you support? Or do you have a theory of your own? Who do you believe is Gus’s real daddy?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: new england
Contact:

Post by Shelly » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:03 pm

I'll take Door #2, with a small twist.

I always believed that Crane kept most of the treasure--except, of course, the ruby ring--to himself, not necessarily so Gus wouldn't know he (Crane) was his real biological father (provided Crane knew this to begin with), but so Captain Borden couldn't get to it.

Too bad we viewers never learned the truth; and too bad there was no such thing as DNA testing in the early 20th century. ;)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:56 pm

No kidding.

An interesting note is that ROGP was written by Marlene Matthews. Matthews was the writer for SDTMH with the infamous error of Felicity telling Gus that the first time she saw him was at the schoolhouse. She's a good writer, but she may not have been the best for accuracy with the Gus story.

Then there's Theory 3: Ambrose Dimsdale is Gus's Father. He got around you know.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: new england
Contact:

Post by Shelly » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:00 pm

Well, in Felicity's defense, seeing Gus while chasing Felix around the garden trying to get her diary back wasn't exactly a good memory. ;)

Anyway! If Ambrose Dimsdale was Gus's father, that would be very scandalous. Not to mention it'd give Rachel Lynde another reason to go after Gus while bearing a torch. :twisted:
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:11 am

Shelly wrote:Well, in Felicity's defense, seeing Gus while chasing Felix around the garden trying to get her diary back wasn't exactly a good memory. ;)
Very true! And if that was the only time during that episode, it might be understandable. But Felicity sees Gus in the barn playing his fiddle, she sees him when he transports her to the ball, she sees him when he kisses her in the barn. And to prove that all the humiliation suffered during HKWD hasn't fogged Felicity's memory, she even says "He's gone to find work at the cannery, but I don't think we've seen the last of him." Well, according to Marlene Matthews, she doesn't see him at all during this episode.
Anyway! If Ambrose Dimsdale was Gus's father, that would be very scandalous. Not to mention it'd give Rachel Lynde another reason to go after Gus while bearing a torch. :twisted:
:D Not if Bobby doesn't get him first.

I'm leaning more toward theory 1 that Abe Pike is the father. If Crane was aware that Eliza was alive as Theory 2 suggests, then that would be cruel and unbelievable for him to maintain the lie with Gus that his mother was dead, especially after Abe Pike was believed dead. Furthermore, Ezekiel doesn't even say anything about reuniting with Eliza. I thought he loved this woman and cared about her wellbeing. Instead he's going to Jamaica with his fortune, leaving poor Gus in the blind (so to speak) and Eliza to wallow in her madness. Marlene Matthews isn't consistent and the fact that this story isn't revisited suggests that the producers were aware of the erroneous plot lines of this episode and decided to sweep in under the carpet.

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:23 pm

During the 'Interact with Kevin' chat at the Avonlea Message Board, Kevin Sullivan said that they "fully intended Ezekiel to know he was Gus' father."

Case closed?

User avatar
Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:55 pm

Post by Gwendolene » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:02 am

I tend to dismiss TROGP entirely where accuracy is concerned. After all, in AHO, Ezekiel says that he buried Eliza with his own hands. And the fact that Hetty knew nothing about the Pikes has already been mentioned.
Last edited by Gwendolene on Fri May 12, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

User avatar
Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: Utah

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:51 pm

Where is the evidence supporting that Eliza becomes ill and Ezekiel rushes to her bedside AFTER Abe puts Eliza in an asylum?

I always assumed that Ezekiel was at Eliza bedside BEFORE Abe took her to the asylum. Ezekiel makes his promise to Eliza and believes that she dies but she doesn’t. Abe Pike, then, takes her away to the asylum. (maybe Abe got mad over Captain Ezekiel Cane’s last visit. This would explain why Abe says to Eliza “You’ll never see either of them ever again” …them referring to Gus Pike and Ezekiel Cane.) Then Abe tells everyone in Avonlea that Eliza died. Eliza funeral takes place. But before the tombstone is placed on her grave, Abe kills a man and is sent to jail. Captain Cane then writes Eliza’s tombstone and puts it on her grave. I wonder how mad Abe was when he discovered what Captain Cane wrote on his wife’s tombstone.

I could never see Captain Cane keeping the truth from Gus Pike, either. This is why I am presenting theory # 3.

Theory # 3 Star-cross lovers

Eliza tombstone reads “I pray for her to be my bride. Her hand was asked but was denied” It never says Eliza was the one who turned Ezekiel down. What if it was Eliza’s father who refuses to give Eliza hand in marriage to Captain Cane. Sometime before or soon after the fathers refusal, Ezekiel and Eliza were lovers. After Captain Cane was refused Eliza’s hand in marriage, he went out to sea. But before he left he told Eliza he loved her and promised he be back when the roses bloom. He left before discovering that Eliza carried his child. She waited. The roses bloomed and faded and still no Ezekiel Cane. To avoid having a child out of wedlock, she marries Abe Pike. Captain Cane comes back after the wedding to discover his love married another. He then thinks to himself she loves Abe Pike and not me. Eliza doesn’t tell Ezekiel about their son. So Ezekiel assumes Gus Pike is Abe's son. When Eliza appears to be dieing, Ezekiel makes his promise to her. Then She taken away to the asylum by Abe pike and all of Avonlea is told that she is dead..

No matter how the story is twisted about Gus Pike’s heritage it is filled with mystery and sorrow. (And just think if the writers had gotten the all the plots right we won’t have all this fun time trying to sort it all out.)

User avatar
Roo18
Harvest Ball Costume Winner
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:10 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Roo18 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:18 am

I agree with theory 3 because it make the most sense. Captian Crane would have told Gus that he was his father because in the show, it looks that Gus and Crane were close. It seemed that Gus was like a son to Crane because he told Gus he could have the lighthouse, usually only good friends do those kind of things. If Eliza really loved Abe then she would have not had the pitctue of Captian Crane behind her wedding picture. I believe that Eliza was afraid so she did not tell Gus that Captain Crane was his father if this were true right away.
"Let's go get some ice cream, before Felix eats it all" - Felicity King
"Such dreams Felix. Where do they go?" - Felicity King

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:00 pm

Miss Lewis wrote:Where is the evidence supporting that Eliza becomes ill and Ezekiel rushes to her bedside AFTER Abe puts Eliza in an asylum?

I always assumed that Ezekiel was at Eliza bedside BEFORE Abe took her to the asylum. Ezekiel makes his promise to Eliza and believes that she dies but she doesn’t. Abe Pike, then, takes her away to the asylum. (maybe Abe got mad over Captain Ezekiel Cane’s last visit. This would explain why Abe says to Eliza “You’ll never see either of them ever again” …them referring to Gus Pike and Ezekiel Cane.)
That's a good point about Abe saying "them" and it explains this rage that leads to the drastic removal of Eliza from the home. I thought there was a death-bed-type mention and guessed that it implied that Eliza was about to die, but perhaps she gets better. I can see it working out in that order.
Miss Lewis wrote:Then Abe tells everyone in Avonlea that Eliza died. Eliza funeral takes place. But before the tombstone is placed on her grave, Abe kills a man and is sent to jail. Captain Cane then writes Eliza’s tombstone and puts it on her grave. I wonder how mad Abe was when he discovered what Captain Cane wrote on his wife’s tombstone.
Alcohol + knives + knowledge that someone put romantic message on wife's grave = Stark raving 'hide the sharp objects' mad angry.
Miss Lewis wrote:I could never see Captain Cane keeping the truth from Gus Pike, either. This is why I am presenting theory # 3.

Theory # 3 Star-cross lovers

Eliza tombstone reads “I pray for her to be my bride. Her hand was asked but was denied” It never says Eliza was the one who turned Ezekiel down. What if it was Eliza’s father who refuses to give Eliza hand in marriage to Captain Cane. Sometime before or soon after the fathers refusal, Ezekiel and Eliza were lovers. After Captain Cane was refused Eliza’s hand in marriage, he went out to sea. But before he left he told Eliza he loved her and promised he be back when the roses bloom. He left before discovering that Eliza carried his child. She waited. The roses bloomed and faded and still no Ezekiel Cane. To avoid having a child out of wedlock, she marries Abe Pike. Captain Cane comes back after the wedding to discover his love married another. He then thinks to himself she loves Abe Pike and not me. Eliza doesn’t tell Ezekiel about their son. So Ezekiel assumes Gus Pike is Abe's son. When Eliza appears to be dieing, Ezekiel makes his promise to her. Then She taken away to the asylum by Abe pike and all of Avonlea is told that she is dead..
It's a very good theory and well presented. The problem is that Kevin Sullivan insists that he "fully intended Ezekiel to know he was Gus' father."
Miss Lewis wrote: No matter how the story is twisted about Gus Pike’s heritage it is filled with mystery and sorrow. (And just think if the writers had gotten the all the plots right we won’t have all this fun time trying to sort it all out.)
Yes, and I think the writers gave up on trying to explain this mess in the seventh season (We have writer Marlene Matthews to thank for all this). I do like mysteries and this is Avonlea's biggest, other than the mystery of whether there will be another reunion movie.
Roo 18 wrote: I agree with theory 3 because it make the most sense. Captian Crane would have told Gus that he was his father because in the show, it looks that Gus and Crane were close. It seemed that Gus was like a son to Crane because he told Gus he could have the lighthouse, usually only good friends do those kind of things. If Eliza really loved Abe then she would have not had the pitctue of Captian Crane behind her wedding picture. I believe that Eliza was afraid so she did not tell Gus that Captain Crane was his father if this were true right away.
If anything, Gus deserves a greater reward because he stuck his neck out on the line for Crane. Borden was a dangerous individual and Ezekiel Crane used Gus as a decoy so he could get the treasure in 'All That Glitters.' This suggests that Ezekiel cared more about the treasure than his own son's well being. You're probably right that Eliza was afraid to tell Gus, although I'm sure that her inability to talk or comprehend reality had something to do with it too.

There is evidence that Ezekiel doesn't tell Gus that he's his father. Recall that in the third season episode 'But When She Was Bad... She Was Horrid' Gus identifies Abe as his father when he encounters him in Twister Lane. He doesn't speculate that Crane is his father until 'Return of Gus Pike.' It's sad to say, but Ezekiel Crane does not come across as a good father.

User avatar
Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: Utah

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:23 pm

Alcohol + knives + knowledge that someone put romantic message on wife's grave = Stark raving 'hide the sharp objects' mad angry.


Dangerous man on the loose… Run for your lives
If Eliza really loved Abe then she would have not had the pitctue of Captian Crane behind her wedding picture.
I agree. Eliza must have loved Captain Cane at sometime. But does that prove that Ezekiel Cane is Gus Pike's father? that is the big question.
It's a very good theory and well presented. The problem is that Kevin Sullivan insists that he "fully intended Ezekiel to know he was Gus' father."
Kelvin Sullivan may have intended Ezekiel to know he was Gus’s father but it still doesn’t fit into the Sea Ghost plot. The biggest evidence I have against Ezekiel knowing the truth is from Sea Ghost. Gus Pike tells Captain Cane that he is not leaving with Abe Pike. In that same scene Captain Cane says “see your mam also asked me to forgive your pa and I promised to welcome him when he came out. I’m sorry lad I thought your place were with your father.”

Captain Cane is a man of conviction. I just can’t see him saying “ I’m sorry lad I thought your place were with your father.” and knowing that he, Ezekiel Cane, was Gus Pike’s father. If he knew the truth he won’t have let Abe Pike even consider taking the boy away.

Ok…I just realized a flaw in theory 3. When Eliza appears to be dieing Abe Pike was already in Jail. If Abe Pike is in Jail, he can’t go taking her off to the asylum can he. Hmm…oh nuts and I really liked my theory too. Maybe Abe Pike was in Jail multiple times?, maybe he was about to go to Jail, or maybe some wild bandits came and kidnapped Eliza and put her in the asylum. Oh well…this is just a mess. Back to the drawing board. In anyone has any ideas to patch up theory 3 please share. Could “when he came out” mean Abe Pike is out at sea?? Then it could still work, right? (I’m sure the Sea Ghost script writer meant it to be coming out of jail, though.)

I going point out the major flaw or flaws of all three theories.

Theory 1 flaw: 1) Kevin Sullivan and Eliza contradict this theory. This is my least favorite theory…I would love to get rid of Abe Pike as Gus’s father. This one does fit the best of the three theories. Thus, Eliza was just crazy.

Theory 2 flaws: 1) Why would Captain Cane keep the secret of Gus Pike's mom not dieing from Gus? 2) If Captain Cane was Gus Pike’s father and knew this, why would he let Abe take Gus away?

Theory 3 flaws…1) How can Abe put Eliza in the Asylum if he’s in Jail? 2) Why does Ezekiel Cane, rather then Abe Pike, write Eliza’s tombstone?

The more I think on this, the more confusing it gets. Timothy, I think your right, the writers avoided this plot because it was beyond repair. I’ll still think about it some more. It’s a fun puzzle to work on. I would like all the pieces to fit together, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. (sob). Unless we choose to discard some facts, it just doesn’t fit together nicely.

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:20 am

Miss Lewis wrote:
Kelvin Sullivan may have intended Ezekiel to know he was Gus’s father but it still doesn’t fit into the Sea Ghost plot. The biggest evidence I have against Ezekiel knowing the truth is from Sea Ghost. Gus Pike tells Captain Cane that he is not leaving with Abe Pike. In that same scene Captain Cane says “see your mam also asked me to forgive your pa and I promised to welcome him when he came out. I’m sorry lad I thought your place were with your father.”

Captain Cane is a man of conviction. I just can’t see him saying “ I’m sorry lad I thought your place were with your father.” and knowing that he, Ezekiel Cane, was Gus Pike’s father. If he knew the truth he won’t have let Abe Pike even consider taking the boy away.
It would seem like this is the case and that 'Sea Ghost' contradicts Kevin Sullivan's statement about Ezekiel having knowledge that he was Gus's father... Unless Ezekiel is distinguishing between a paternal and biological father. The contrary argument I would suggest is that Ezekiel accepts Abe as a paternal father while he was the biological father.

The situation with Ezekiel seems to be a contradiction of terms. On the one hand, he's scaring the children away from a potentially dangerous encounter with Abe Pike (or diverting them from witnessing his shady dealings and informing villagers); and on the other, he's using Gus as a decoy to obtain treasure. Based on Sullivan's statement, it appears that Ezekiel initially didn't stop Abe from taking Gus away because doing so would mean he would have to take on parental responsibility, which he didn't appear willing to do.
Miss Lewis wrote:
Ok…I just realized a flaw in theory 3. When Eliza appears to be dieing Abe Pike was already in Jail. If Abe Pike is in Jail, he can’t go taking her off to the asylum can he. Hmm…oh nuts and I really liked my theory too. Maybe Abe Pike was in Jail multiple times?, maybe he was about to go to Jail, or maybe some wild bandits came and kidnapped Eliza and put her in the asylum. Oh well…this is just a mess. Back to the drawing board. In anyone has any ideas to patch up theory 3 please share. Could “when he came out” mean Abe Pike is out at sea?? Then it could still work, right? (I’m sure the Sea Ghost script writer meant it to be coming out of jail, though.)
That does throw a monkey wrench into the scenario. While it's probably just writer Marlene Matthews screwing up, it's hard to fit this development into a working theory. If Abe is in jail, then who arranges the elaborate buriel for Eliza and for what purpose? The only other option I could consider is that Crane did it to protect her from Abe (if and when he broke out of prison), but it appears that Crane really thinks Eliza is dead in 'Sea Ghost' and as you mentioned, he doesn't tells Gus that she is alive. Why would Crane keep that secret from Gus, especially after they believe Abe is dead? This is more speculation, but maybe Ezekiel believed that Eliza was too far gone mentally, and didn't want her disturbed; and perhaps even staged her death to quiet public scrutiny?

I like the way you pointed out the flaws in each theory. Below I added a timeline developed, in part, from our theories to get an idea of when things happened.


1. Eliza Pike is born (1871)

2. As Miss Lewis suggests, Eliza or father/parent rejects Ezekiel as a suitor. Eliza doesn’t tell Ezekiel about child (c. 1887-1888).

3. Ezekiel goes to sea, or somewhere…. It’s hard to imagine he would stick around to endure endless gossip.

4. Eliza marries Abe to avoid scandal of a child out of wedlock. (Although it’s hard to believe that Abe was accepted by Eliza’s father as a suitor, unless Eliza eloped; but then, why wouldn’t she elope with Ezekiel?)

5. Gus Pike is born (c. 1888). (The Bantam book for HKWD says Gus was not ‘Seventeen’ when he arrived in Avonlea (in 1904), implying that he was sixteen, placing his birth sometime around 1888.)

6. Abe becomes jealous and possibly learns that Gus is Ezekiel’s son. He drags Eliza to an asylum in a fit of rage.

7. Abe goes to jail.

8. When Eliza appears to be dying, Ezekiel returns and makes his promise to keep an eye on Gus. (She possibly tells Ezekiel that Gus is his son) An elaborate buriel is staged for Eliza.

9. Gus travels the world as a sailor. Crane follows to keep his promise (“Maybe ye saw me watching ye from afar.” To an unknowing Gus, this might be perceived as stalking). At some point, Crane fights with his first mate, Stan Borden, and a treasure map is torn in half. The map shows that Avonlea is the location where treasure is hidden.

10. How lucky for Crane that Gus returns to Avonlea and finds work at the cannery (and oddly, nobody remembers his families history in Avonlea where he lived as a young boy (pre-RoGP)). Ezekiel takes a post at the lighthouse to continue his stalk… Er… “I mean watching from afar” and pursuit of the treasure. (1904)


Feel free to add comments or suggestions to the timeline and hopefully we can get at least close to the truth and unravel this mystery.

User avatar
Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: Utah

Post by Miss Lewis » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:09 pm

Thanks Timothy for the outline of the events.

Here is another reference to Abe Pike being in Jail when Eliza “dies”. Below is dialog of Gus Pike and Hetty King from Aunt Hetty’s Ordeal.

Gus: “ My mother is dead”
Hetty: “Good grief, my condolences. Was it sudden?”
Gus: “My father busted her heart.”
Hetty: “How did he do that?”
Gus: “He got sent to Prison”

According to Sea Ghost and Aunt Hetty's ordeal, Eliza “dies” when Abe Pike is in Jail. Yet, Gus Pike’s dream in The Return of Gus Pike suggests that Abe Pike, not Captain Cane, took Eliza away. Also, I can’t see Captain Cane abandoning Eliza in mental institution and not letting her see her son.

Maybe Abe Pike breaks out of Jail while Eliza is sick and takes her away. The night Abe takes away Eliza is traumatic on Gus Pike. So Gus erases from his memory the terrible night events. This memory resurfaces again in Return of Gus Pike. Thus, all Gus remembers is his mother’s funereal and her sorrow but he doesn’t remember his father coming and taking his mother away. But then, how does Captain Cane bury Eliza when he doesn’t have her body.? He can’t. Unless Abe Pike's friends fool Captain Cane about the coffin having Eliza's body.
Based on Sullivan's statement, it appears that Ezekiel initially didn't stop Abe from taking Gus away because doing so would mean he would have to take on parental responsibility, which he didn't appear willing to do.

Yes, it does appear that way. I would like to see Ezekiel Cane as a great father to Gus Pike. However, Captain Cane’s behavior towards the Avonlea children and Gus Pike doesn’t suggest this. Avoiding parental responsibility won’t be beyond the Captain Cane. I could see him trying to avoid it. He could spend a day drinking away his sorrows and singing old songs. On the upside, Captain Cane is hundred times better then Abe Pike. Perhaps I should rethink theory 2 with this perspective of Ezekiel Cane.
4. Eliza marries Abe to avoid scandal of a child out of wedlock. (Although it’s hard to believe that Abe was accepted by Eliza’s father as a suitor, unless Eliza eloped; but then, why wouldn’t she elope with Ezekiel?)
I don’t know why Eliza’s father would be against a Captain of a ship but not a first mate. Eliza must have eloped with Abe Pike. Maybe Ezekiel and Eliza planed to elope but Ezekiel wanted to wait or gain more wealth before he married her. She waited in vain for Ezekiel Cane. So she eloped with her second option.
At some point, Crane fights with his first mate, Stan Borden, and a treasure map is torn in half. The map shows that Avonlea is the location where treasure is hidden.
Perhaps this takes place while Eliza is waiting for Ezekiel to return. She waits in vain and then marries her second choice. It would be sad if Captain Cane’s obsession with treasure lost him twice his happy family life. First, when he was away hunting treasure and failed to come back to his bride to be. Second, when he takes the treasure off Avonlea to avoid his rival and leaves behind his son.

Captain Cane’s story is a tragic one no matter how one looks at it. It would be the greatest tragedy if he caused his own sorrow by his greed for wealth.

User avatar
AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:30 pm
Location: In my dreams, Avonlea

Post by AvonLea » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:03 am

I have thought about this issue several times, but always believed th at Ezekial was Gus's father. I can't say that I am overly pleased with this, but it does give some comfort to know that Abe Pike wasn't his father. :( It was an interesting turn of events, though.
Image

User avatar
Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:55 pm

Post by Gwendolene » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Timothy wrote:The problem is that Kevin Sullivan insists that he "fully intended Ezekiel to know he was Gus' father."
Maybe he was oblivious until Eliza told him during season 6? (Pure speculation, since we don't even know if Eliza made it to Captain Crane.)

Post Reply