Who is Gus Pike's Daddy?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:58 am

Timothy wrote:If anything, Gus deserves a greater reward because he stuck his neck out on the line for Crane. Borden was a dangerous individual and Ezekiel Crane used Gus as a decoy so he could get the treasure in 'All That Glitters.' This suggests that Ezekiel cared more about the treasure than his own son's well being.
After rewatching All That Glitters it occurs to me that maybe we have Captain Crane all wrong. Gus specifically says that he's not one for riches and he'd rather sleep easy at night. He also says that what he really wants is the lighthouse.

He states throughout the episode that the treasure belongs to Captain Crane and gives up his share. At the end of the episode, Capt. Crane offers to take Gus with him, but he refuses.

In the end, once he realizes Captain Crane has the treasure he seems genuinely happy for him, without the slightest hint of regret.

Why does Captain Crane leave?

I. He was keeping the lighthouse while mending a broken heart (Sea Ghost). Maybe being around Gus helped him make peace with the ghost of Eliza.

II. He came for the treasure. Been there, done that.

III. He had been land locked too long, similar to Gus in Otherwise Engaged.

IV. Moving around would make it harder for Borden to track him down. If he had stayed, he would have been putting Gus in eminent danger as well, so in a sense, he was protecting him.

V. Anyone, especially someone with a keen interest in the intimate details of Gus' life, could see that he was building a sense of community and famly life around him, as well as getting a solid education. So, in that sense, by not pressing the issue of leaving, he was doing what he felt was best for Gus at the time.
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:21 am

Miss Lewis wrote: Perhaps this takes place while Eliza is waiting for Ezekiel to return. She waits in vain and then marries her second choice. It would be sad if Captain Cane’s obsession with treasure lost him twice his happy family life. First, when he was away hunting treasure and failed to come back to his bride to be. Second, when he takes the treasure off Avonlea to avoid his rival and leaves behind his son.

Captain Cane’s story is a tragic one no matter how one looks at it. It would be the greatest tragedy if he caused his own sorrow by his greed for wealth.
Sadly, it's starting to look that way, Miss Lewis. That said, did you see the look on his face when he was running his hands through all that gold? I guess a little tragedy didn't stop him from running off to Jamaica to live the good life. :)
AvonLea wrote: I have thought about this issue several times, but always believed th at Ezekial was Gus's father. I can't say that I am overly pleased with this, but it does give some comfort to know that Abe Pike wasn't his father. It was an interesting turn of events, though.
I agree AvonLea. If you have to choose between the two, Ezekiel is way above total low life Abe.

Gwendolene wrote: IV. Moving around would make it harder for Borden to track him down. If he had stayed, he would have been putting Gus in eminent danger as well, so in a sense, he was protecting him.

V. Anyone, especially someone with a keen interest in the intimate details of Gus' life, could see that he was building a sense of community and famly life around him, as well as getting a solid education. So, in that sense, by not pressing the issue of leaving, he was doing what he felt was best for Gus at the time.

The problem is that Crane left Gus alone to fend for himself. It wouldn't take long for Borden to learn that he got duped and return to get the information out of Gus. Crane promised to keep an eye on Gus, but soon as he got the gold, he ditched Gus to live it up in Jamaica and left Gus to the mercy of Borden. It sounds like he broke Eliza's promise.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:25 am

[/quote]The problem is that Crane left Gus alone to fend for himself. It wouldn't take long for Borden to learn that he got duped and return to get the information out of Gus. Crane promised to keep an eye on Gus, but soon as he got the gold, he ditched Gus to live it up in Jamaica and left Gus to the mercy of Borden. It sounds like he broke Eliza's promise.[/quote]

Oooh, Timothy, you are harsh! :) No, not really, but that is putting it into plain words. But perhaps Crane wanted Gus to have a life of his own. I mean, Gus was grown and could fend for himself, and maybe he just didn't want Gus to feel like a baby. That doesn't account for his greed, though. I mean, Gus could have used some of that gold!

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:21 pm

AvonLea wrote:That doesn't account for his greed, though. I mean, Gus could have used some of that gold!
But when Gus offers to help, Captain Crane asks him what he would do with his share of the riches, and he answers that he would use it to get a place he wouldn't be thrown out of. Having the lighthouse, I don't think Gus would have accepted much more than the ring anyway.

One must also remember that later in A Dark and Stormy Night, Gus doesn't seem to give 2 hoots about the treasure then, either. He seemed more proud of his job at the White Sands than anything else. He "ain't the type for riches."
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:44 am

Timothy wrote:Sadly, it's starting to look that way, Miss Lewis. That said, did you see the look on his face when he was running his hands through all that gold? I guess a little tragedy didn't stop him from running off to Jamaica to live the good life.
Yes, he was very happy. Trust me though, his life is a tragedy even if Captain Crane doesn’t show it.

He’s a true pirate through and through. All true pirates love their gold more then anything else. Captain Crane reminds me of Long John Silver in that way. Now Long John Silver is the best example of a true pirate. (Though, I do like Johnny Depp rendition of a pirate too.) Have any of you ever seen “Return to Treasure Island” the mini-series? It ran many years ago on the Disney channel. It was a great mini-series. I always liked how Brian Blessed played Long John Silver. The Long John Silver character, in this mini-series, looks out for Jim Hawkins but I always got the feeling that Long John Silver’s love for gold would win out over his friendship with Jim. I get the same feeling from Captain Crane. His passion for treasure wins over his friendship with Gus Pike.
Timothy wrote:The problem is that Crane left Gus alone to fend for himself. It wouldn't take long for Borden to learn that he got duped and return to get the information out of Gus. Crane promised to keep an eye on Gus, but soon as he got the gold, he ditched Gus to live it up in Jamaica and left Gus to the mercy of Borden. It sounds like he broke Eliza's promise.
It does seem like Captain Crane broke his promise to Eliza. Maybe Captain Crane’s idea of keeping an eye on Gus was checking in on him now and then--like every few years. We do know that Captain Crane had some sort of contact with Gus Pike at the end of Season 6. Since it is Captain Crane who sends the news to Felicity that Gus’s ship was lost at sea. So that would be four years between season 2 (when Crane left Avonlea) and season 6 (when he calls to give the sad news). To me that doesn’t seem like “keeping an eye on Gus” . A lot can happen in four years.
AvonLea wrote:perhaps Crane wanted Gus to have a life of his own. I mean, Gus was grown and could fend for himself, and maybe he just didn't want Gus to feel like a baby. That doesn't account for his greed, though. I mean, Gus could have used some of that gold!
Good point. Captain Cane certainly wouldn't baby anyone. As to his greed, well he’s a pirate.
Gwendolene wrote:But when Gus offers to help, Captain Crane asks him what he would do with his share of the riches, and he answers that he would use it to get a place he wouldn't be thrown out of. Having the lighthouse, I don't think Gus would have accepted much more than the ring anyway.

One must also remember that later in A Dark and Stormy Night, Gus doesn't seem to give 2 hoots about the treasure then, either. He seemed more proud of his job at the White Sands than anything else. He "ain't the type for riches."
True, Captain Crane did give Gus what he most wanted--his own place. This is one of the best example of Captain Crane's kindness to Gus Pike.

oldfashionedgirl
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by oldfashionedgirl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:25 pm

Well, I am happy to say that aftyer reading this thread, I am still just as confused as I ever was on this subject! :D
~ "Oh, Look at that! She doin' a play!" ~ Gus Pike

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Wow! This was a spell-binding thread! I am impressed with the sleuthing... it is definitely the biggest mystery/disappointment of Avonlea that we never find out who Gus's real father and mother are. One thing I asked MM when he was chatting on Avonlea Treasures was if Ezekiel Crane was Gus's father why didn't Gus change his last name to Crane from Pike? Seems like he would have really wanted to discard Pike if he could. Maybe it wasn't that easy to change your name back then. I would have thought when he married he and Felicity could have both taken the name Crane and then we would have known!

I agree with Gwendolene that Gus was old enough to fend for himself (of course he'd been doing that for years before coming to Avonlea) and that perhaps Captain Crane wanted to spare Gus being entangled with him. I don't think Crane fit the profile of father of the year and I think he knew it. I think he wanted to spare Gus but in the end, Gus led a very troubled childhood. His mother was mentally disturbed and his father was either a murderer or a absentee pirate. Seems like Eliza was not a very strong person psychologically and that the Pike vs Crane stuff only intensified her delicate state.

I think Crane was accustomed to thinking only of himself. He did have a good heart, in general, but he was a typical sailor pirate, hopping from port to port. I think he tried to look after Gus as much as he could without actually being a full-fledged father. I think when Gus arrived in Avonlea and he had to come face to face with him. He could not escape all the secrets, lies and pain. He had to confront the issue and did the best he knew how. I think he did develop a real fondness for Gus and it was strange that he left and wasn't heard from again until he contacted Felicity. That was almost the strangest part. He contacted her to tell her that Gus had drowned but then we don't get anything else?!

Gus was lucky to have found the Kings to welcome him into their fold. Alec was a father figure for Gus and Hetty was like a mother to him.

Here's a thought: Maybe Ezekiel had other children scattered across the Eastern seaboard... and maybe he had a child in Jamaica!!
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 pm

hannikan wrote:Here's a thought: Maybe Ezekiel had other children scattered across the Eastern seaboard... and maybe he had a child in Jamaica!!
Ha! :lol: I wouldn't put it past him Hannikan. For some reason, when I read this, I thought of that image of Ezekiel at the end of 'All That Glitters' --with that wild grin on his face as he sifts through the spoils of his treasure.

Jess
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Jess » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Interesting, yet confusing thoughts and theories on Gus Pike's lineage. I have no clue what to believe. I just know he's good looking and would like to find one like him for myself. :lol: Unforturnately, men like him don't seem to exist anymore.

If you only knew the things I want to say but don't you'd give me some credit.

Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Margherita » Sun May 24, 2009 7:20 am

What puzzled me a bit was that in The Return of Gus Pike, Gus took his mother to Jamaica to reunite her with Captain Crane.
Yet when Captain Crane calls with the news of Gus´s death a few months later, Sally says he called from Boston!

Any explanations on that?

Margherita
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun May 24, 2009 11:11 pm

It's never really explained. I think Crane was a marked man with enemies and had to move around a lot. Borden was probably trying to hunt him down for that treasure and Abe might be upset for that dive he took off the lighthouse. Perhaps he meets Gus while his ship is anchored in Boston Harbor, before heading to South Carolina? The writers really didn't provide enough information.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Wed May 27, 2009 1:08 pm

Mmm, I forgot that he called from Boston. Must be those offspring scattered across the Eastern seaboard...
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

hannikan wrote:Mmm, I forgot that he called from Boston. Must be those offspring scattered across the Eastern seaboard...
:lol: I never thought about that. I think Crane probably did have other kids throughout his travels.

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Gus Pike's Daddy

Post by arose28 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:06 pm

I wonder, as some have you have said, if Ezekiel Crane was Gus's father. What I think probably happened was that Eliza Pike was having an affair with Ezekiel Crane but he would not marry her and Abe Pike did. Then, Eliza found out that she was pregnant and society being what it was, women did not admit that they had been having sex before they were pregnant. Then, when she gave birth, Abe saw that Gus did not resemble him at all and this made him crazy jealous, so he put Eliza in the asylum so that she would not say a word about who Gus' dad actually was. I think that the affair also led Abe to go on a nice bender and end up such a bad character. As to why Ezekiel never revealed himself to Gus as his father, maybe he did not want to open that can of worms in such a small town as Avonlea. This certainly would have given the gossips reason to talk. :wink:
Love Avonlea!

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Come to think of it, Gus doesn't look like Captain Crane either. :shock:

Hmm... Maybe Gus's dad wasn't Abe or Ezekiel. Who could it have been? Ambrose Dimsdale? Simon Tremayne?