Happy Christmas, Miss King!

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
5AvonleaGirls
Planted Magic Seeds

Happy Christmas, Miss King!

Post by 5AvonleaGirls » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:29 pm

We have watched all the episodes of RTA and we can't decide if we should watch Happy Christmas, Miss King! For those of you who have seen it did it ruin your image of Avonlea or was it not that big of a deal? I would be happy to hear your input.

~5AvonleaGirls~

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:27 pm

It is worth seeing. I had not seen it until a couple of months ago. I have only seen it once (in fact I was debating about watching it again tonight). It is very different from the series because of the subject matter (it revolves around WWI). But I liked it, even though there were people and plots that I thought should be there. Janet is particularly good in it. I don't think it will ruin the series for you. Just keep in mind that it leaves some things unanswered. Enjoy!
ImageImageImageImage

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:16 pm

I agree with hannikan. It is worthwhile to watch it. It is nice to see what what has happened to the characters since the series ended.

However, be forwarned: it heavily retreads certain episodes from the series and it is not continuity consistant. (It isn't the disaster that Anne 3 is continuity wise, but there are some definite and annoying continuity farts in HCMK.) But despite its flaws, it is still have many wonderful moments.

The cast chemistry alone makes it worth the watch despite whatever problems it has.
"We couldn't buy the logic that Jesus was the only way. That meant the Buddhists and Hindus who had never even heard of Christ Almighty were doomed to hell, while Ku Klux Klan members were not." From THE HUNDRED SECRET SENSES by Amy Tan.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:10 pm

It didn't ruin the image of Avonlea, in my opinion. It kind of reminds me of a 6th season mediocre-to-ok episode. It provides insight into how the characters were dealing with the first World War.

The sad part is that it leaves a lot of questions open and your left with a feeling of what could have been.

5AvonleaGirls
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by 5AvonleaGirls » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks for your input!!

5AvonleaGirls

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 pm

It is worth seeing (IMO, it's waaaay better than Anne 3). Yet, of course, there are flaws and more unanswered questions.

Last year, I wrote a humourous recap of it.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Ha! That's a riot, Shelly! I love the embedded links. You noticed some snafus I hadn't. I haven't finished reading it yet. I would recommend watching Happy Christmas Miss King before reading Shelly's satire though. It might ruin it for you.
ImageImageImageImage

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:42 am

I can't believe I haven't read that before, Shelly! Its great!
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:22 pm

Hee, thanks! :)

But yeah; watch the real thing first.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone