How old where the children exactly ?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Sierradane
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Sierradane » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:03 am

Also, the date for Janet is a guestimate. I would think that she was much younger than 30 when she had her first child. I'll update/edit it as I find more acurate info

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Sierradane wrote:Felix King 1892 -
No.

In "Nothing Endures But Change", Janet notes that Felix had just been born when Ruth passed away (1894). This would mean Felix was born that same year, then Felicity about three years before that (1891), and Gus about two(ish) years before her (1889). Cecily is nine years older than Daniel (as noted by Dr. Blair in "Misfits and Miracles"), which puts her year of birth in 1896--two years after Felix. Sara's about a couple of years younger than Felicity, but about a year or so older than Felix. That would put her year of birth circa 1892/93.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Sierradane
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Sierradane » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:19 pm

According to the Avonleapedia here, it says that Felicity was born in 1890.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:04 am

Sierradane wrote:According to the Avonleapedia here, it says that Felicity was born in 1890.
Well, every once in a while the Avonleapedia is right about something. :lol: Here's the proof of the... um, kissing?

In 'How Kissing Was Discovered,' Felicity says she is 13 and three quarters. This episode takes place in summer 1904 (Felicity is writing an entry in her diary for June 13; suggesting her birthday is probably around September). This puts her birth year as 1890.

There is some conflict with the writers concerning Felix's age. I put his birth year in fall 1892 for the following reasons:

1. In Witch of Avonlea, Felix's letter to Peg Bowen indicates that he is 11 years old. Witch of Avonlea takes place around winter 1903, which suggests that his birth year is 1892.

2. Felix turns 14 in Incident at Vernon River, which I believe happens in Fall 1906. This is also consistent with him being born in 1892 and being 11 in Witch of Avonlea.

Shelly has some valid points. As you might have noticed, there are a lot of inconsistencies among the writers. You just have to weigh the evidence and come to your own conclusions.

Again, as far as Sara is concerned, the only reference to her age I am aware of is in the Bantam book for Felicity's challenge where she is 12 years old at the same time Felix is writing to Peg telling him he is 11 years old (winter 1903).

~

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Actually, Felix turns thirteen in "Incident". Alec states it outright ("Here's Felix, thirteen years old..."). In "The Great Race", the following season, Felix is fourteen (as noted by Simon Tremayne and acknowledged by Alec). That would've been the fall of 1908 (which would put "Incident" a year earlier, not two). Plus, in the third season (set 1905-06), IIRC, it's noted that Felix is twelve.

If Janet's statement in "Nothing Endures but Change" is accurate (and I think it is), then--again--Felix would've been born the same year Ruth passed away: 1894. (I pin his b'day sometime in the fall, too, given the weather conditions in "Incident".)

Another thing to consider: If Felix were born in 1892, and not two years later, I'd think he would've finished school after the fifth season, and not at the end of the sixth. Here's why I say this...

Felicity is sixteen in S4. A season later, she's not in school; she's occupied with preparing for teacher's college or working at the store. She would be seventeen. This leads me to think that, at the time, once one turned sixteen there, one would be done with their regular schooling and would either go on to learn a trade, tend the family farm, go away to university, or whatever. In S5, Felix is still there; and he's still there in S6 as well, in danger of being held back because of his grades, and having to be tutored by Hetty so he could bring them up and graduate with his friends.

I do agree the writers didn't think things through earlier on, regarding the characters' ages, and Felix's especially.

In the first season (again, if Janet's statement is accurate; and if his birthday takes place in the fall), Felix should've been about eight or nine years old. It's not until the third season, I think, that he ages more consistently.

(Speaking of which, there's something else re: continuity that I'm wondering about. I'll start another thread.)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sat May 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Yeah, I agree with Shelly's figurings on Felix's age. I always thought he was supposed to be 10 in the first season though. He looks too old to be 8 or 9. I thought Cecily was supposed to be 8 in the first season because in Misfits and Miracles in season 2 Dr. Blair said it had been 9 years since Janet had Cecily. I always thought Cecily and Felix were 2 years apart, Felix and Felicity were 3 years apart.
ImageImageImageImage